What to expect from the meetings please?

Wasn't it just!!! ;-) I normally have a bit of defence for consultants, but not sure I can find any for your old consultant!

Just wanted to add though, that you will very very rarely find a consultant who does the weighing in, it is normally someone from the group (same person each week though).

Really surprised reading many different posts how rubbish some consultants are - feel SW should have mystery shoppers who can turn up at any meeting at any time and have it well documented to consultants to keep them on their toes and up to date.

Hi, I dont want to cause an argument and I do understand how a group can be motivating for weight loss, me myself I just cant do this alone I need to go to WI. However I really cant abide by the attitude of having a 'bad' group that this is responsible for not losing any weight.
We must take responsibility for our actions, and if anything learn from the 'bad' people in group and be like the above poster who vows never to be like them!

Anyhoos, we've got each other here :)

My problem was with losing ££s for a bad group ;) :)

Am now taking full responsibility for my losses, although am sharing the credit which is largely due to Minimins!

And you too Prawny! You're doing it, be proud of your achievements! :D

I cant believe that some consultants can run a group like that - for one thing, they are self employed and trying to make money - if the group is rubbish and people don't stay they earn less money!

Its also outrageous that people get charged £4.95 a week for what is clearly a waste of their money - you might as well save it and spend a few pence using the scales in Boots!

I'm lucky in that I live in a major city and have ample choice of groups, there are probably 4 or 5 I could walk to in less than 30 minutes.

A good group really can make a difference - the first group I was in was quite large, she used to rush through Image Therapy very quickly and I never really got to know anyone there. I then joined a new group closer to where I live - everyone one there was brand new so it was quite good for me as people spoke to me quite a lot - I'd been going for a while so lots of people asked me for advice.

I also volunteered and am part of the weighing in team - this I think is a real help in getting integrated in the group and getting to know everyone.

Ironically, I moved because this group was closer to my home - but they've now changed venues so its further from my home than the original group - but there's no way I'd change back.

It seems though that with a weak consultant who's never even heard of basil (sorry but that is scandalous!) I dont think that there is much hope for the OP and going it alone might be the best way forward.

Are there any like minded people in your group that you do get along with? Perhaps you could set up your own unofficial SW group IT sessions in a local cafe or something to get the group support element.

You say there are no other SW groups in the area - is there no likelihood that a new one might start? Maybe trying contacting Slimming World and asking (and let them know how useless your current C is while your at it!)

I've got to say that it is astounding that a consultant didn't know what basil is. It's not at all unusual or rare - just a very basic type herb. Incredible ignorance, especially from someone who works in a food optimising role. No wonder you were surprised - I'd have been gobsmacked too!

Some good advice from posters here so I don't need to add anything more but I wish you all the very best of luck in sorting out your problem. Hugs ZX

:DWOW! Thanks so much everyone! I feel like I just joined a whole new group on here!
Nice to know its not just me who has had difficulties, so thanks for sharing your experiences.
I went to weigh in today and was disappointed that I only lost 1lb in 2 weeks but TOTM etc didnt help and a loss is still a loss, so, I'm good to go on that. I was a bit irritated as I saw a woman put a can of beans in a basket. Now, I have seen this basket before and its given to slimmer of the week, but I didnt know why this woman would put the beans in, so I asked the lady that took my money. Apparently, every week, everyone take's something for the basket. Had to point out no one had ever mentioned that to me, so how many people have sat and looked at me in that queue and thought what a tight cow I am for not contributing?
I decided I would stick out the meeting and see how we got on but...... after 10 mins I could feel myself fumbling in a bag for something to open a vein with so gave up. As I was early, I had decided I would have a chat with the SW counc. And I would have done too. But she was feeding her grand daughter. And then there was a huge discussion about who got to feed the grand daughter next. And then we heard all about the woman who thought she might drop her. And then we heard about how she would NOT drop her. And so it went.
And so, I went! lol
Incidentally, reading through these posts, I have never heard body image or body magic before so if anyone could tell me what that is, I'd be interested please?
So, I am still at the same point. I genuinely my natural pride and competitiveness means that if I go to WI I will try harder, but, £4.95 pw is a lot of money for being weighed....
xx

Oh I don't believe this! I have been having griddled bananas EVRY day. 2 EVERY day, with yoghurt thinking its a freebie. Just found out its not. So, WHY did I fill in the food diary?? Surely that is so new people can have any errors pointed out to them? Oh Bottoms.
x

About 4.5 syns each I think if you cook a banana.
It may well be worth telling your consultant that she missed this, that's just not on!

:cry:I am gutted! Honestly, I am actually tearful. I have been having nearly all my 'syns' just in the banana's and then had my treats on top thinking I was OK. And then I have been running myself ragged wondering why I havent lost as much as I expected. Oh dear. Of course, the other problem is, if I dont go to meetings I cant get the online password and the calculator on the SW online site is very handy for me.
Oh I am SO fed up now.
xx

Why don't you join online? I know there have been very successful people who use bodyoptimise (you only have to look at cocktailprincess for one!). It may help you.

I shall have a look Jaylou, thanks. My main reason initially for not joining on line was I didnt want a bigger outlay as I am off on hols soon so saving hard so as not to have to get my OH to pay for everything! lol
Thanks for the message btw. I don't know how to reply!
xx

Your class today sounds like a nightmare:eek: I wasn't impressed with mine the first couple of times but it wasn't like yours at all. Anyway, I'm enjoying my class now. I plonked myself down to two older ladies a couple of weeks ago and they made me feel really welcome.

Why not see if you can manage with just here and weighing yourself at Boots once a day or on scales at home. I think the SW website is crap and am glad I didn't fork out the online fee although do they get different things than someone who just goes to class:confused:

Hi lounge lizard. I think the SW counc. means well, I really do, I just dont think she has it in her to keep the group in check and as she doesnt enjoy cooking and exercise she doesnt seem to want to promote either. I almost think I should become a counc. when I have lost the weight! Are you supposed to set a target at the group? I've never been asked/advised on that either.
I called SW tonight and they were really nice but basically said the same things as everyone on here. ie, yes, I shouldn't find the meetings so unhelpful but basically I have to move to another group or sign up online. Neither option is very practical, so I really dont know what to do.
I am going to let myself have a couple of little treats tonight - Goodness knows I would have to go some to top my banana syns. I remembered tonight I had 6 banana's a couple of days ago. - And then tomorrow, its a new day, a new SW week and I'm intending to feel good!
xx

I know I was asked at my first weigh in what did I want to be but I think that was just an interim one. Turned out it was only a bit more than my 10% -lol

I know I posted on here about my class at first as I wasn't particularly impressed but my C has grown on me.

Why not post your food diaries on here, weigh at home or at Boots and save your weekly fee towards joining online at a later date. Dreadful classes aren't going to help you at all are they:( I can't believe that you have a C that's doesn't cook. Where's the pleasure in food if all you eat is processed crap!

I may do that lounge lizard. I got the details of the C I had at my very first meeting, the stand in for my current one, but her meetings are way too far for me with my family commitments. I am just worried that without HAVING to get that weigh in (and knowing I have paid for the priviledge!) I may not stick with it.
x

Oh bottoms. I called the lady who's details SW gave me and she was FAB! Gave me more info than I have had from all the meetings I have been to, but she is retiring. So, she has given me another ladies details but again, the meetings just aren't going to work for me. And now I am paranoid something will be said to the SW lady at the meetings I currently go to so I will be a pariah if I keep going there. Oh dear. I really don't know what to do now. I seriously dont want to go back to WW but I am starting to think that may be my only option as the meeting times suit me.
x

I think you need to be brave and speak to the consultant. Just explain why you're thinking of leaving, and that there are real issues with people speaking out of turn, in an unhelpful manner.

I hate confrontation but you're giving this woman £5 a week to help you lose weight, and currently she's not delivering. I'd have to build myself up to do it but I think it's what you need to do.

HUGS.

Hi there, I do online only because I find classes have the opposite effect of motivating me, I dreaded going every week and kept being told "you should stay you know, you'll learn a lot", this was at weight watchers and SW.

I stayed and got thoroughly sick of waiting for everyone to finish weighing then the endless rounds of "So xxxx you lost 4lbs this week...*clap clap clap* what did you do differently?" and I used to think, god, is all this really necessary?!

I mean I always thought it would be better to just mention people once they got an award and afterwards ask other people if they wanted to talk about their own loss/gain, in a class of 30 plus it went on FOREVER!

I agree with people who say they didn't spend £5 a week to hear other people saying the same stuff every time, unfortunately I've only ever found one class out of 5 that wasn't cliquey, then the lovely consultant left and we got stuck with this awful woman who had one hell of an attitude, so I left!

I know I'm banging on about this now but I learnt precious little about anything at the meetings, and found forums/online to be far more informative. Mind you I know some really like the social aspect and get a lot out of it and I'm not belittling that, but even with great consultants, I've never found them very helpful.

*Shuts up and awaits a beating*

Back