What to make for class taster session?

Amber_Baby

I'm a raver baby!
I'm looking for ideas. I don't mind spending a bit of time making it but I'd really like it to be free on at least one of the days (green or red). What would be good to make?

I've made a few different things on taster days. I made the Slimming World lasagne from the December(?) magazine (the one that was out before the current edition). I've also made the mincemeat apples. I'm thinking of making one of the stews this time. We're having a taster next week also. Something to do with the 40th anniversary.

Ferrero Roches??? I made them last night...and they are delicious! Will definitely go down well in class!

How about the cous cous cake? I think that's one lots of people wouldn't necessarily know about or usually try themselves.

I made chicken & bacon pate and that went down a treat.

Or for something a bit more decadent, chocolate mocha truffles for about 2.5 syns each. They are always a hit!!

Pate

Syn free

8oz chicken livers
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp mixed herbs
salt & black pepper
4oz cooked bacon, chopped
tub of very low fat fromage frais

Put onion, garlic, & herbs in pan and fry in Fry Light until the onion is soft, add liver and cook for about 7 mins. Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Add fromage frais a spoonful at a time until the consistency is the same as shop bought pate.

(I added some fresh tarragon to mine and it was lovely!)

CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES

Total syns: 57.5
Makes approx 19 truffles = 3 syns/truffle
(can make truffles bigger or smaller to suit)

200g good quality chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
6 tbsp strong black coffee (such as espresso)
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tsp Splenda, or to taste (optional)
1 tbsp cocoa powder, to dust

1) Melt chocolate in a large bowl over simmering water or alternatively microwave until melted.

2) Gently pour in the coffee and slowly mix it into the chocolate until the consistency thickens. The texture of the chocolate will start to seize and thicken almost instantly.

3) Add the honey a tablespoon at a time and slowly mix it in until you get a highly glossy chocolate mixture. This should only take a couple of minutes. Taste and
add Splenda if desired.

4) Chill the bowl in the fridge for an hour or until the truffle mixture is nearly solid.

5) Sieve the cocoa powder onto a plate. Scrape a teaspoonful of the mixture into the palm of your hand and roll into a marble-sized ball, then roll through the cocoa powder until fully coated and pop into an airtight container. Repeat the process until all the mixture is used up and store in the fridge. Dust with additional Splenda if desired.

Oooh the chocolate truffles sound good, as do the ferrero rocher ideas. What is a cous cous cake?

the things that i made and went down best at class are actually on the SW website! Cajun Breaded Mushrooms, they're free if you count the bread as a healthy extra. Creamy cheese and garlic stuffed mushrooms

They did change the way i'd written it to sound more cheesy - I don't really talk like that!

Thought I might do my Potato wedges with steak (spicy hot) seasoning and HexB cheese. It's about 2 minutes walk to class, so if I aim to arrive a little bit late they'll still be warm.
Also I thought about Bulgar wheat salad, but might leave that for a little bit later in the year.

All great ideas, thanks guys. Can't wait to see what everyone else in class comes up with. :D

What a great question - when I was at class, we ended up just having a variety of the SW quiche or pasta so I always tried to think of something a bit different. Class was tiny and some people would not make anything as they didn't want to taste other peoples food!
I made a roasted aubergine and red pepper spread/dip that was nice. just diced an aubergine into reasonable sized chunks along with the peppers, a couple of cloves of garlic, sprayed with fry light and bunged the lot in the oven till they were tender, you then just blitz the lot in a processor with 1 tbs tomato puree till it is as smooth/chunky as you like. You need to season it quite well but its nice.

This is one of my favourite recipes - incredibly easy!

It will be free on Extra Easy, and free on Green if you use the bacon as a Healthy Extra B. If you choose to use Oxo cubes (2) instead of Bovril to make the stock, the whole recipe has 1 syn.

Enjoy!

Bacon & Pea Risotto

Serves 4

8 rashers back bacon, well trimmed
100g frozen peas
300g arborio or carnaroli rice
1 medium/large onion, finely diced
1 litre hot chicken stock

Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry in Fry Light until it goes crispy - add the onion towards the end.

Add the bacon and onion to the rice in a large, lidded saucepan and stir well. Pour in the stock, stir well again, put the lid on, turn the heat right down low and leave for approximately 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, stir again, add the peas
and some freshly ground black pepper and then cook for a further 5 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency.

Serve on its own or with freshly grated parmesan (1.5 syns per level tablespoon).

I also make soups and stews in my slow cooker as I work on weigh in day so in the winter I'll chuck everything into my slow cooker in the morning, unplug it when I get home and take it straight to class - still piping hot! Did an EE chilli with mixed beans this week that was pretty yummy!

Definitely gonna pick one of these. Plus my Mum and best friend go too so we need to make three dishes! I was thinking I could do something simple for my Mum cos she will be at work all day. Maybe mini meringues topped with vlf fromage frais flavoured with lemon juice and sweetener, plus a white chocolate button? I reckon that'd be yummy!

Back