What was your turning point?

Bethuk1

Evening Everybody, I was just wondering what was the breaking point for you when you thought enough was enough..for me it has to be my poor back! I was just shy of 16 stone before Christmas and could just about make a trip around the supermarket before the pain became unbearable (I'm in my early twenties!!) I'd often walk around with tears in my eyes trying to hide how much I was hurting. I'd stopped walking the dogs and hated anything that involved standing for more than 5 minutes. I couldn't believe that I was doing this to myself because I couldn't control my desire to eat all the wrong things.

So here I am 6 months later and only 2 stone light and painfree! I really can't put into words how much I suffered with my back it would effect me everyday. I never ever want to go back to those days! Now I walk the dogs:doggy: everyday and it's the best feeling ever! :) :woohoo:

My weight gain was very rapid (nearly 4 stone in 12 months) due to medication. I went from being a toned size 8 to a size 14 in no time at all and it destroyed me.

I started making moves to sorting it out late last year and was doing well but slipped back somewhat. This time what keeps me going is a beautiful engagement ring from my OH - he proposed 2 months ago and I felt a steely determination form. He loved me so I had to get back to loving me too.

So here I am :)

Great post xxx

Evening, my light bulb moment came to me unexpectantly one evening. I was sat there thinking where my life had come from, and where I was going with it. Thinking about how many times I had yo yo dieted from 16 stone to 15 and back must have been four plus times. What would it feel like to be 14 stone somethink? I had that thought.

How would it make me feel to look at the scales and loose 15.10 off the dial, and read 14.10 instead. It feels shaky at the moment its been 10 years since the scales said that. It feels good, and I want to carry on watching the scale number go down. My main issue is now how will people treat me, like a thin person, because I hide behind my size using it as an excuse like a protective pillow under big clothes, freaks me to even say that word slim.

I too suffered badly with back pain and as mentioned in another thread found my weight to be a real health risk. I used to struggle to breathe whilst asleep. But mainly because I married for the second time three years ago and I am not ready to give it all up yet we have too many good years ahead of us. I reached my four stone award last night and feel great i still have a long way to go but can now do a weeks shopping in Asda without having to stop ten times and perch on top of the fridge edges for a rest.lol:D

I decided to lose weight whilst i was pregnant. I was the size of a house (literally) even though i'd only put on 1.5 stone. With my last pregnancy i put on a stone, lost it and then ate biscuits for six months after and put it all plus more back on! I lost all of my weight this time in about 3 weeks or so and was determined to get rid of more this time. So when my son was 5 weeks old off i went and it's kept me in check since!

I can really emphasise with everything you've all said, I suppose thats the one comfort of being overweight we're all in the same boat! thanks for sharing your stories! :)

I was 16 stone a few years ago after loads of pains in my thighs and my chest doctor said stress and period troubles sorry if to much information i got myself down to 14stone 10lb took ages but i could never seem to get myself under that absoultly no will power lol

I wanted to look slimmer and be healthy and so i could run and play with my kids

And after starting class i have finally got under that 14st 10lb mark just hope i can keep it up :D

Good job guys keep up all the good work you are doing great

I decided I was going to loose weight when I asked my boyfriend one day what he would change about me, big mistake, he said about me loosing a tiny bit of weight. Naturally I took this pretty bad but 9 months down the line and 2 stone lighter, im really glad he was honest and said that to me. Thanks babe!!! lol

When I was diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis a few months ago, I take steroids so my weight loss is slow as one of their side effects is weight gain, but every 1lb lost is getting a little mobility back and a better quality of life for me, so onwards and downwards I go...

I was seeing a guy who was a "feeder". In under a year I had put on nearly 4 stone without even realising. I was SOOOO heavy. I couldn't even get comfortable in bed. Turning over was an ordeal, I felt like a giant walrus on the beach. None of my clothes fit. Even my underpants didn't fit. I was so unhappy with it. So I joined slimming world and dumped the bloke... and I've never looked back! :D

Quick history: I lost quite a bit of weight (4 stone) with WW a few years ago and then stuck at about 11½stone for ages. Then I met a bloke, got married, got divorced and dropped to about 10st5 with the stress and upset of it all. I looked great but it wasn't a healthy way to do it. Met a new man, who is fab, and started gaining gradually - happiness eating, I call it! Didn't notice the first stone going back on but by the time I was over 12 stone again, I really felt it. Nothing fitted, I was unfit, felt fat and ugly and was really down about it.

Then, all the girls in my band decided we'd buy matching dresses for gigs. Pretty floaty thing from Monsoon. I tried the 14, which I'd convinced myself I still was, but it was way too tight and looked terrible. I refused to get the 16...so that was my turning point. Might seem quite superficial I suppose, but that is just what made it click for me, even though I'd desperately wanted to lose weight prior to that...I'd just had a few false starts.

Now the 14 is too big and I might have to buy myself a different dress. And when I get to goal, I may even need a 10!!! :D

I got to the point where I needed to buy size 20 clothes and thought "Ok, that's IT, I'm going to lose weight!".

My point was, that i had joined WW 3 times in the past 5 years and lost a bit, gained a bit more. I got tired of only being able to one of 3 pairs of jeans that i had. i refused to keep buying size 16 clothes. then i noticed that they were getting a bit tight around my thighs and around my bum. I was sick of worrying about the possibility of getting diabetes (my mum and nan have / had it). I had originally lost a lot of weight with SW about 11 years ago so i thought "why not give it a go". i have been doing the plan for a few weeks now but i havent been on it 100%, but something seems to have clicked the last few days and i am on it 100% and will be sticking to it.

My asthma was getting worse. Also, a while ago, I bought some clothes that were baggy because I often felt self-conscious and I called them my "fat clothes". I was horrified when I realised my "fat clothes" were actually too tight. Instead of doing what I did before, which was go out and buy clothes in a much bigger size to hide in, I decided now was the time to stop.

My point was getting fitted for new body armour (stab vest) for work and when it came it was big and when I tried it on it fitted. Thats it I thought! I need to get a few stone off. I also have a thought that in my youngish years I need to start ensuring the cardio, BP, is working well. I have always struggled with my weight and have to gym very hard to make any difference. But i must say, that by doing SW its been a pleasure to workout and actually not to hard as I have always done before. I have always been an active person, I played rugby at a club levelas a youngster (ok 21) heheheh !.. I swam for the county as a school boy. But the thing that has been my nemisis is shift work and skipping meals, also bread/pasta & milk for me. I have now set a goal for christmas to get to my opt weight and also to a reasonable fitness. In my job I need to be on the ball a bit and I don't fancy getting injured because of not being fit to deal with challenges. ( oh and look rather good in my new stab vest ) LOL !

Phil x

Back