Whats happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately it's forum 'regulars' who've been around a long time that make newbies like me feel completely unwelcome with threads like this. From what I've seen in the week I've been on here most newbies will come on, post a thread saying hi I'm new and probably ask a couple of questions. Yes, you could probably find an answer on a sticky, but nothing beats the personal touch which is what makes a busy site supportive. All forums that I've been around work like this (well, the successful ones that feel like a community) and afterall you don't have to read all the threads if you feel they're just asking the same questions. Heaven help the newbies - where are we supposed to go for support if it's being made obvious we're not welcome? If it's supposed to only be for people who've been around for a while then don't let new people register, keep it a closed shop and then there won't be annoyingly similar questions asked!

See...every new member gets a Welcome and told how to navigate the site. There are also ooooooodles of stickys at the top of each forum. The info is there, it's just a case a lot of the time to point them in the right direction.

MD and RD do both still post. MD posts all the time!!! lol, RD is at uni - she has exams.

These people are still around, as am I so still quite confused what this whole changed since jan/feb stuff is about.:confused:

It is because Lou Lou was without a computer due to the recent easter break and come on and things felt slightly different in that the old posters had diminished. Wow the sun is shining think I will have my shake in the garden. Love bunnycd

I find this site as supportive as ever. I have never started my own thread, but I do like to put my own 10 pence worth in on anothers when I can. So consider this my 10 pence worth..... you have done extremely well on your weight loss journey, well done! If you ever need help or feel down just call, we are here to help each other......you have 2 pages worth of answers to this thread alone, not bad going eh? Keep smiling Lou-Lou, Angela x

Unfortunately it's forum 'regulars' who've been around a long time that make newbies like me feel completely unwelcome with threads like this.

I think you have misread this and take it completely the wrong way. To make you feel unwelcome was not the intention of her post. Lou Lou was trying to point out that it is sometimes hard (as an established member) to find posts that do not ask the same questions. Again, the answers to your questions are in the sticky's - so why not read them? I am personally happy to answer any questions from newbies and I salut newbies for embraking on the CD journey - as the first month is hard.

Lou Lou and myself felt that when we posted in the last two weeks not as many people answered (compared to Jan/Feb) and that some of the old members seemed to have vanished. As I outlined in my post this may be due to many factors such as Jan/Feb it was very busy due to people wanted to start a new year diet - then falling off the wagon. So, the intention of her post was not to offend but to ask " is there a better way of finding the posts from old members". Love bunny CD x

I'd kinda like to her from your sister Bunny.....I'm sure she can explain this herself.

Personally...I felt the post was a little bit mean and critical and I didn't really like that.

The world does not stand still and I'm sure Lou Lou can understand that - I just don't know why she didn't realise that when she posted.

Best of luck.

xx

i actually feel unwelcome on this oen as well
mind you i am in a foul mood anyway today.

<off to garden to do some weeding.>

Oh dear LouLou, I feel a bit like that sometimes, though I'm a relative newbie. Though the support from people who actually understand how difficult not eating can be has helped me immensely! (sp?)
Hey, start a new thread titled 'support' or something, I'll join & be as nice as you like! I bet others will too. I hope you carry on posting & don't feel alienated any more, it's so easy for people to misinterpret a comment.xxxxx
xxxxsharon

Hi,

When I joined the site it took me a while to get used to it, so I didn't even realise that I been sent welcomes until I stumbled across them after about 10 days! I think it a great idea to welcome newbies, but not much use putting lots of info on if like me you didn't find it.

Also I agree there are a lot of the same questions asked, but I felt as a newbie, having them answered made me feel welcome (more than just reading a sticky - again I didn't know what a sticky was at first!!)

I have posted replies to newbies questions making me feel quite old and wise :D

Just my thoughts

My input for what's it worth is you get what you give...if you post lots then you seem to get lots back. As a pink site refugee I have been made to feel welcome and that people are truly supportive.....whether this is because I know some people off other forums I don't know.

Anyway, this is a great forum - even if i do spend far too much time on it!

Hugs to you all

Linkypie
x

I think you have misread this and take it completely the wrong way. To make you feel unwelcome was not the intention of her post. Lou Lou was trying to point out that it is sometimes hard (as an established member) to find posts that do not ask the same questions. Again, the answers to your questions are in the sticky's - so why not read them? I am personally happy to answer any questions from newbies and I salut newbies for embraking on the CD journey - as the first month is hard.

Lou Lou and myself felt that when we posted in the last two weeks not as many people answered (compared to Jan/Feb) and that some of the old members seemed to have vanished. As I outlined in my post this may be due to many factors such as Jan/Feb it was very busy due to people wanted to start a new year diet - then falling off the wagon. So, the intention of her post was not to offend but to ask " is there a better way of finding the posts from old members". Love bunny CD x

If that was the intention it's really not clear!
If you had read the whole of my post you would see that I stated that yes, the answers to a lot of qs are in the sticky area, but when you are new, a personal answer is often needed for reassurance, a bit of a confidence boost, whatever. That may be irritating to some, but there is always the choice to read or not to read. Unfortunately the original post has had a negative effect whether that was intended or not.

Hi,

When I joined the site it took me a while to get used to it, so I didn't even realise that I been sent welcomes until I stumbled across them after about 10 days! I think it a great idea to welcome newbies, but not much use putting lots of info on if like me you didn't find it.

Also I agree there are a lot of the same questions asked, but I felt as a newbie, having them answered made me feel welcome (more than just reading a sticky - again I didn't know what a sticky was at first!!)

I have posted replies to newbies questions making me feel quite old and wise :D

Just my thoughts

Hehe i missed my welcome too, but have been made to feel very welcome so far, it has taken a little time to find my way around but hey its keeping me out of the fridge.:D

people don't seem to be very supportive any more. :cry:

"when people are on a low, it just gets ignored!

I'm not the only one who feels this!"

Hi Bunny,
I think people sent lots of quite supportive responses to your sister, and the quotes above from her are not terribly constructive- even in context your sister did not communicate what you have tried to explain very well.

Accusing people of not being supportive anymore is plainly wrong, and all of those people who spend A LOT of their time being supportive could have taken offence at this- instead they have made efforts to bring your sister back on board with their posts. Your sister has not even replied to all of these posts- so no wonder she feels excluded if she isn't going to communicate. People have spent time being responsive and are getting nothing back, except you have now come on to tell people they are taking it the wrong way. No wonder some of the later posts are a bit angry!

I am feeling angry about it, but would rather try to be constructive and helpful. Having spent some time this morning writing a long response to someone who asked for support I feel quite offended. I don't remember your sister asking for support, and I am sorry if I missed something, but we all do what we can when we can.

Minimins gives back what you give to it- that is why its so good. I don't love every thread, and I don't feel like embracing every single person who posts, but I sure am not going to post messages to people to say I am unhappy about that- because I'm not. This site is for everyone, and that is what makes it great.

There are so many new posts everyday on this site that its hard to get through them all, The past week or so has been busy for me due to Birthdays, Illness and work, so I havent posted as much as I normally would, however, I get on once a day, and make sure all questions are being answered and people are made to feel welcome.

People take time out, but "oldtimers" like me are still here and always about to offer help and advice, after all I was a newbie once, I joined this site when it was 2 days old, and I have been at goal (or there abouts!) for nigh on 6 months, yet Im still here posting away!

Dont forget to pop in to other parts of the forum, MD and KD are usually in maintainence, youll always get a reply on thread stoppers (there isnt a cat in hells chance that anyone will stop that!)

Minins is Fab. and please dont feel left out, all you have to do is shout x

I joined this site last year - didn't really use it - and have re-discovered it in the last week as I make my way back into CD.

I have to say I have never felt so welcome. People respond if appropriate, and this include 'old-timers' as well as other 'newbies'. I think, as with any message board, you get out of it what you put in.

There have been times over the week where I've been checking the board quite often, and other times (like yesterday) where I didn't get on most of the day and there had been hundreds of posts since I last looked. There was no way I would be able to go through all of them!

I love this site already. The support is wonderful, even if the same question is asked again and again people respond with
as much help and advice as they can give.

Thank you to everyone on this board. It's great!:D

I didn't mean it to sound like Minimins isnt supportive anymore, because there are some fantastic members on here.
Reson why it sounded like it did, was because I was on a low and no one seemed to help, where as before, alot of people used to talk to me about why I felt like I did. I put a post up and an hour later its gone with no reply!
I posted up about a week ago when I got back from easter about not gaining any weight while being back at home on a kinda "CD Holiday"
Only 2 people replyed. I think that laks a bit of support! I didn't gain any weight and I was really proud, but I had no real motervation since.

If I have offened anyone, I am sorry.
I shall no longer be using my Minimins account to post.

Sorry again.
Also, newbies good luck with the diet! I hope you have a great journey.

Lou lou I am afraid I think you are overreacting.........
do you really need other peoples replies to motivate you when you have already lost so much weight and come so far?
I have looked at your post it says
'this is torture I am starving' and that is it, it dosent say 'help me I am struggling, any words of advice/support appreciated,' i am sure if you had posted this you would have had 8 or 9 replies!
why are you not going to post any more, nobody has attacked you or had a go, we were all just a bit taken aback that you found us an unsupportive bunch whilst we actually pride ourselves on being the opposite

I didn't mean it to sound like Minimins isnt supportive anymore, because there are some fantastic members on here.
Reson why it sounded like it did, was because I was on a low and no one seemed to help, where as before, alot of people used to talk to me about why I felt like I did. I put a post up and an hour later its gone with no reply!
I posted up about a week ago when I got back from easter about not gaining any weight while being back at home on a kinda "CD Holiday"
Only 2 people replyed. I think that laks a bit of support! I didn't gain any weight and I was really proud, but I had no real motervation since.

If I have offened anyone, I am sorry.
I shall no longer be using my Minimins account to post.

Sorry again.
Also, newbies good luck with the diet! I hope you have a great journey.

I think I need to bring you back to the real world here........first off, stop being absolutely daft. Not going to use Minimins account to post??!! Don't be so dramatic.

Can't seem to find this post you put up??? The last one contained about 3 words and you didn't even reply to the people that posted on this thread that you wanted support on!!?

No one is forced to reply - they reply if they want to, if they have something to say or if they can be bothered!!! If you felt people were not replying as much as you wanted then you should have posted again or re-worded it or bumped it up or whatever!!!! Its not really a popularity contest.

Well done on maintaining your weight - it is ruddy difficult!! sorry you didn't get as many pats on the back as you wanted but you know that you achieved it and you should be proud without all of us telling you so!! heck....I post on a thread to myself half the time (the last stone mission) and am forever going *pats self on back* and being nice to myself. You should do the same.

Get ruddy posting and don't feel bad when not everyone under the sun replies. We have other things to do sometimes. People didn't get upset when you didn't reply for 3 weeks did they? Who's saying other people aren't on holiday?

Just forget about this, you could have spent this time posting!!!

Well...

Hi Lou Lou,

Like Nat said, with so many members on the site one does get pushed down the list every now and again without getting a reply- particularly people dont seem to reply if you dont ask them to!

I think it is important that people dont rely on MiniMins to keep them on track- it should be used as a tool and not in place of the support of friends, family, CDCs etc. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!! I love this site, everyone is going through the same thing, but all of us have our own lives and if you post at a time when not many ppl are online or if u start a thread which people dont think they need to/should respond to, then it is quite possible that you wont get a response.

I agree with Natayou- perhaps you have over-reacted a little bit, but I guess if you dont want the support of all of us then thats up to you, and all the best for the future.

Maybe we should all put this thread to bed now- as I personally dont think its very encouraging for new members especially to be confronted with this sort of negativity when 99% of the users on here have nothing but good things to say about MiniMins!!! Thanks Mini! xxxx

x

Its not really a popularity contest.

lol at Coley !!! liked that bit....:)

Have to say Minimins is definitely THE most supportive weight loss forum on the Web - for oldies, newbies alike !

I'm an 'oldie' and sometimes I don't get many replies to my posts....but hey it's not gonna stop me posting....ur not getting rid of me that easily ! ;)

Come on Lou.....don't be an eejit (as they say in Northern Ireland !!)

love

Debz
xx

If i was a newbie reading this thread I would certainly not join this 'supportive' site......

I am an 'oldie' on Minimins and sometimes I do get replies sometimes I don't... I do agree that you get out of it what you put in. So LouLou get posting chick...

I also agree that this site has changed 'for me' in the last few months, reason being, people I would have been 'friendly' with either don't post as much or we are in touch in a different way. There are so many new people joining all the time that people can get lost.

I think maybe Loulou was having a bad evening last night and I certainly didn't take offence to her thread... It was merely her opinion... we aren't all blessed with the gift of the writing gab, so to speak!!!

I also think that if you are having a bad day... the last thing you want to do is go trawling this site to post on others theads and maybe sometimes it would be nice not to have to post loads to get loads back, but that is life I'm afraid.

I think Loulou initial comments were blown totally out of all proportion and I agree this thread should be put to bed before any new members or lurkers thinking of joining get to read it cos I certainly wouldn't call this thread supportive.

On the whole tho... I find Minimins a great site... and it has dragged me outta of many a bad day, either by lurking or by getting support!!

My opinion only.

Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back