Whats left in your cupboards

Mary Poppins

Gold Member
Well,having finished 5 weeks on CD,my boss (I'm a nanny)and I were discussing what I must have eaten that made me put on 7 stone in the 12 years I have worked for her.

We both agreed that the shopping bill hadn't gone down any,so we started looking in the cupboards.

The crisp/cake/choc cupboard seem the same and apart from cooked meat(nibbled ham a lot)nothing had really changed there.There was perhaps a slice or two more bread,but the ice cream had still all been eaten!

Then we discovered an overflowing cupboard!!!And what was in it
DIET COKE!!!!

Everyone always says there is something about diet coke(I drank litres of the stuff!) and I never really believed that something with no calories could make you fat,and while I know I did overeat at times,I can't help but wonder whether it stopped me burning fat properly

Susan

Could be something in it, ought to try googling Diet Coke and see what you get - might be some scary stuff out there about fizzy drinks I think! Really good idea though, checking cupboards helps you to identify what your preferred and dangerous foods were. The big clue in my house is that we had a chocolate cupboard which since I have been on CD has not once been restocked and is still full!! Don't forget to look in your own cupboards as well as those at work though and also to factor in nights out - ie what you choose when you go for a meal etc.

Gxx

Yes!My cupboards are always bare at home!Never had anything but coffee and diet coke unless anyone was coming over!
I know I ate too many take outs late at night and picked badly when I ate out,but when you consider that for 5 days a week,3 meals a day I ate at work,I thought something would stand out more!
When I get to goal must put a big sign on letterbox saying no take out menus

Oh yes, take out is satan himself in food form! Another really interesting and slightly alarming thing I saw was Jamie Oliver "Eat to Save Your Life" on CH4. There was a girl who was eating about 350 cals more than she should a day which equated to a latte and a bag of crisps, not much I thought, but the effect of that would be a three and a half stone gain in 15 months. This scared the hell out of me and really put it into perspective about how such a little bit extra can have such a huge effect.

Really fascinating stuff, thanks for posting as it has made me consider how my shopping habits have changed!

Gxx

There are still chocolates from Chrsitmas in the tins, crisps in the back of the cupboard, and my son's mousses last an entire week now :eek:

I think m biggest downfall was eating a cooked lunch from the canteen at work and then coming home and eating a fully cooked dinner with hubby in the evening....:(

Thus I was eating one more big meal a day than I should have been...well that and all the other little estras that creep in too!!!:rolleyes:

Definately know where you're coming from there Nellis - I too used to have a meal in work and think - I'll have a light dinner tonight - to find myself sitting down 6 hours later to another enormous meal!!! And I used to think I ate really well!!! :eek:

My pantry is still full of stuff from Xmas. 4 large boxes maltesers, tin Roses, 2 boxes Thornton chocs, box of Hotel Chocolate, Lindor chocs, tubs of twiglets and mini chedders, tubes of M&M's and fruit pastilles, milky bar selection boxes as well as bags of sweets I brought back from the US in December.

Not to mention the hula hoops and tins of biscuits and the hamper with fruit cake, choc cake, caramels and truffles.

Not tempted by any of it, long may that continue.

My pantry is still full of stuff from Xmas. 4 large boxes maltesers, tin Roses, 2 boxes Thornton chocs, box of Hotel Chocolate, Lindor chocs, tubs of twiglets and mini chedders, tubes of M&M's and fruit pastilles, milky bar selection boxes as well as bags of sweets I brought back from the US in December.

Not to mention the hula hoops and tins of biscuits and the hamper with fruit cake, choc cake, caramels and truffles.

Not tempted by any of it, long may that continue.

Good girl-Thats a huge amount of temptation!!

One of my many vices was stopping via Marks & Spencer Simply - theres one close to me, always parking spaces so I would stock up 2-4 evenings aweek and eat convenince foods like sandwiches, sushi, cheese, onion bhajis - all dreadfully fat laden and washed down with a cold bottle of dry white or rose! This also meant to the uncanny eye there was never alot actually in the cupboards coz I was eating it as I was buying it! Bad bad bad girl!
I'm lucky I'm not posting on a flippin AA site really, all the wine I was necking.... thinking about it - its an easy trap to fall into and all of a sudden what becomes a treat becomes a norm over a period of time.
This point in our lives I guess we're all re-training again xxxx
Pah to food & drink !!!!!!

Ha, I couldn't deal with the temptation of leaving things in my cupboard while on CD! Luckily I live alone, so I don't have to deal with anyone else's food at the moment. And when I decided to do CD I knew I would have to clear everything out. Now the only things left are foods that can't be eaten without serious preparation and adding other bits n bobs (dry pasta etc) so I'm not tempted to pick.

I realised yesterday that I have probably never gone a day in my life without eating (as in actually chewing) something, and now I've gone over a week. And it's not been hard! So proud of myself :D and the rest of you guys who are doing it too!

Dee x

Unfortuntely my cupboards are still stocked - as I have 2 kids.... But I've developed a totally lazy streak and the only thing I bother with for myself is my packs!
But there is lots and lots of goodies in my house - none of which I like as they're kiddy goodies like skips, cheese stix, bourbons, not my idea of treats xxx

ive cupboards for my wee girl ( severe failure to thrive ) so have to have lots of high fat and carb stuff hanging round but im not bothered by it, would take ur arm off for a chicken salad thou, lol

with me i had a huge ham and chesse bun from the bakery most days with a cake, i had huge meals for my evening meal, drank pepsi max like it was going out of fashion and since my daughter was born and that first year in hospital ive comfort ate the evening away, cakes biscuits, bread, cheese, all the wrong stuff

Back