Whats realistic???

Lauratheloop

Silver Member
So I'm actually not doing Atkins but Paleo - extremely similar in terms of what your not allowed except Paleo is a little more harsh.

Anyway what do you guys think it a realistic goal for 8 weeks?

I basically Wana lose 28 pounds in 8 weeks which averages 3.5 lbs a week - possible?

xxx

Honestly? I think that's a big ask. I couldn't do it, but if I was wanting a higher than average weight loss I would stick to the paleo but:

Add in intermittent fasting (see juddd forum for help with this)
Exercise more than recommended (most paleo dieters think chronic cardio is detrimental to health, but if you want to lose that much weight...)
Don't cut back on fat.

I've been doing paleo for a few months and was losing about 1lb a week. Alternate day dieting (juddd) has bumped that up to 2lbs, and I only cut right back 2 days a week (most juddd dieters do 3 or 4).

For me, trying to lose weight that fast would backfire - id end up bingeing.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck!

Phoenyx said:
Honestly? I think that's a big ask. I couldn't do it, but if I was wanting a higher than average weight loss I would stick to the paleo but:

Exercise more than recommended (most paleo dieters think chronic cardio is detrimental to health, but if you want to lose that much weight...)
Don't cut back on fat.

I've been doing paleo for a few months and was losing about 1lb a week. Alternate day dieting (juddd) has bumped that up to 2lbs, and I only cut right back 2 days a week (most juddd dieters do 3 or 4).

Thanks hun, I've been doing Paleo in and off for 2 months now and have lost a fair bit already, my brother does Paleo and trains crossfit which I've read is one of the most effective workouts to combine it with. I'm going to up my exercise and I kinda do a bit of juddd I suppose already as some evenings im not particularly hungry and so have something really small or nothing at all - just depends.

I'll see how it goes - sticking to it is not the problem as Paleo suits me fine ;-)

Thank you xxx

I think you're asking a bit too much of your body, whatever extra tricks you throw at it. Usually only people with a lot more to lose than you will drop pounds at that rate. There's no harm in aiming high if it motivates you but a loss of around 2lb per week is probably more achievable.

Just a bit of a caveat regarding intermittent fasting - was reading something the other day about this, it is less effective for women than it is for men. For women it can trigger the body going into 'starvation' mode.

And tbh I don't think you should set yourself targets for weight loss with Paleo, we are all different after all, aren't we...

Thanks for all your comments - as we all know starvation mode is a myth otherwise those who are anorexic become so frail, what happens with the less calories consumed is your metabolism slows etc

Anyway I certainly do not starve and never really lose 1 or 2 pounds a week anyway if I stick rigidly to a plan it's always more ... Whether more affective or not I still have 3 stone to lose and I've seen people Lose it just as quick on these meal replacement diets so I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Again thanks for your comments

I read fasting being less effective for women too. I think the key is to listen to your body. There are plenty of women losing weight successfully on juddd (alternate day fasting) so it can't be all bad, but I do find that I can only do two fasting days a week. If you find it difficult to fast, you are stressed and therefore releasing cortisol which is not good.

So I basically fast until I'm hungry (properly hungry, not head hungry) then eat, regardless of whether I've done my allotted time.

I think the key to this, and to target setting (which I do but am not too bothered if I get there as long as I'm going in the right direction) is to make sure rules you set don't stop you listening to your body.

Lauratheloop said:
Thanks for all your comments - as we all know starvation mode is a myth otherwise those who are anorexic become so frail, what happens with the less calories consumed is your metabolism slows etc

Anyway I certainly do not starve and never really lose 1 or 2 pounds a week anyway if I stick rigidly to a plan it's always more ... Whether more affective or not I still have 3 stone to lose and I've seen people Lose it just as quick on these meal replacement diets so I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Again thanks for your comments

I disagree. Starvation mode is not a myth, there's plenty of research out there to support it. What is in debate is when it kicks in and to what extent it lowers your metabolism.

Yes, anorexics do lose weight - slowing your metabolism doesn't mean stopping it altogether!

Sorry I'm sat here laughing...., I've never actually told you what my ultimate goal is or have I gave in detail what level of fitness I am at,

Yes I'm 13 stone but that doesn't mean that being healthy isn't my main priority however my weight is the last part to go to be within the so called "healthy BMi"

I currently spin 3 x a week with a 5-10k run 3/4 times a week, on days I don't run I cycle on average 30 miles and physically I am fit, my weight does not hinder me in terms of exercise or motivation - I do not follow Paleo as a diet but as a lifestyle and have done since February, myself and my brother are both very Big on Paleo and the health benefits it brings, whilst following Paleo I have even managed to stop my medication and control my PCOS with this alone (go on tell me I'm mad for coming off meds)

I'm no fool or idiot, I know plenty about diets and the effects it has on our bodies and at 13 stone I will not be heading into starvation mode as you like to call it anytime soon, I eat a balance diet of Protein Fat and veg to ensure I utilise my ketogenic state to its maximum ability.

No offence I wasn't looking for lectures - I was 17 stone at one point and I'm now 13 stone, I've gone from inactive to heavily active on a daily basis and I have transformed my body to date, I was simply asking if anyone out there had loses of the same as I've read a few amazing posts where people have even those smaller then me.
My friends are More then qualified to give me the science behind things if I really want it and I've lost 4 stone since September so I think that tells you I know how to do things sensibly and in a way my body can adjust at a decent rate.

Anyway I guess we will see.... Like I said 2 stone is the max I'd like to lose but 1 would also be grand .... I just like to test myself and there is nothing wrong with a challenge

Phoenyx said:
If your friends are more qualified than us (btw, on the same point as yours, you have no idea how qualified we are) please do ask them for advice.

I had no intention of offending, but clearly have, so apologies.

Your the one offended not me, I never mentioned fasting - you did and then I get the starvation malarkey rammed down my throat and then you tell others I'm in this for weight loss only which isn't strictly true.

I said I can call upon friends for advice on the science - I don't recall asking on this post about science , I just ask if it was realistic.
It's funny coz those doing meal replacements lose loads and yet it's medically given the thumbs up?? Funny that

I eat sensibly and I eat to suit my active life style, I want to lose 2 stone and I'm sorry if you guys feel it's unrealistic that's fine I take that on board, just felt like I was back at 17 stone with all those people who doubted me then..... I'm not going to feel like just because you only lose 2 pound a week that I should settle for that....

I refer you to my first post where I said I thought it was a big ask. I didn't say I thought it wasn't possible or even unhealthy. You inferred that.

My second fasting post was in response to southwest girl, not specifically aimed at you.

Again, apologies for misinterpreting your goals, and giving you clearly unwelcome advice.

Phoenyx said:

Don't cut back on fat.

I quote the above maybe you should re read that a bit more.

Big ask?!
And you mentioned the fasting

But whatever I haven't the time for negativity

Dya know what I apologise - I'm
Being a super grouch
Just on the final stretch and getting a little impatient, I know it's not good to lose quickly I just never been one for having big events and wanting to lose weight for them but there's one comin up I would love to just feel that all the hard work has been worth it. I'm proud I've changed my life for the better not just for me but for my children but would just like the weight to bugger off now as its getting on my wick.
I also have a new road bike waiting for me as my final goal :) just seems so way off :-(

Me too - i truly only meant to help and my comment about your priorities had no basis, so sorry. I honestly don't think it matters whether you lose quickly or slowly, I agree with you that you can safely and healthily lose more than 2lbs a week - I was speaking about my personal weaknesses in my first post when I said I'd be at risk from bingeing if I tried to push the boundaries too far.

You sound like you've done really well so far, you should be giving me advice!

Phoenyx said:
Me too - i truly only meant to help and my comment about your priorities had no basis, so sorry. I honestly don't think it matters whether you lose quickly or slowly, I agree with you that you can safely and healthily lose more than 2lbs a week - I was speaking about my personal weaknesses in my first post when I said I'd be at risk from bingeing if I tried to push the boundaries too far.

You sound like you've done really well so far, you should be giving me advice!

I've scrapped through but there's been lots of ups and downs.... Lol
I try to be as healthy as possible and live the fact I don't take a set of meds now because I control it with diet alone but just so bored of stepping in the scales or waiting to get into my goal dress lol health wise I feel great but idont want to get too comfy because them I will stop striving for weight loss.

Bloody weight loss hey lol xx

Hey-

Just for my part, you asked what's realistic and from following various other low carbers in the diary section here and in other low carb forums, around 2lbs per week is the most common loss. Obviously it's different for everyone - some lose more, some less, my own loss seems to bounce around from 3lbs one week to 1lb the next for no real rhyme nor reason - but it does even out to about 2lbs per week, so far.

Others closer to their goal seem to lose slower and those with more to lose can lose more. Again that's not set in stone, just the most common thing I've seen.

I have also done VLCD and yes, probably lost more like 3-4lbs a week you're absolutely right. But low cal and low carb diets involving eating 'real' food rarely cause quite such speedy loss. That's why people are willing to do the total meal replacement diets regardless of how hard they can be - for the speed. It's why I did them, anyway.

So for me, and from my own observations, 2lbs a week is a realistic loss. 3.8lbs a week would be a great loss. There's absolutely no harm in shooting for the higher figure - it's not something I tend to do myself just because if I don't meet goals I feel like a failure and it can lead to my slipping off the wagon. If it will motivate you to stay on track - go for it!

I'm sure all the exercise you do also has positive effects.

Whatever happens you'll be fitter and healthier for keeping on your plan and that can only be good. No one here wants you to fail - or anyone to. I think all of us are familiar with the frustration of weight loss being less speedy than we'd like - personally I always feel like the weight should just drop off when I'm being virtuous. If only our bodies would comply.

Good luck, sounds like you're driven xx

moonlights said:
Hey-

Just for my part, you asked what's realistic and from following various other low carbers in the diary section here and in other low carb forums, around 2lbs per week is the most common loss. Obviously it's different for everyone - some lose more, some less, my own loss seems to bounce around from 3lbs one week to 1lb the next for no real rhyme nor reason - but it does even out to about 2lbs per week, so far.

Others closer to their goal seem to lose slower and those with more to lose can lose more. Again that's not set in stone, just the most common thing I've seen.

I have also done VLCD and yes, probably lost more like 3-4lbs a week you're absolutely right. But low cal and low carb diets involving eating 'real' food rarely cause quite such speedy loss. That's why people are willing to do the total meal replacement diets regardless of how hard they can be - for the speed. It's why I did them, anyway.

So for me, and from my own observations, 2lbs a week is a realistic loss. 3.8lbs a week would be a great loss. There's absolutely no harm in shooting for the higher figure - it's not something I tend to do myself just because if I don't meet goals I feel like a failure and it can lead to my slipping off the wagon. If it will motivate you to stay on track - go for it!

I'm sure all the exercise you do also has positive effects.

Whatever happens you'll be fitter and healthier for keeping on your plan and that can only be good. No one here wants you to fail - or anyone to. I think all of us are familiar with the frustration of weight loss being less speedy than we'd like - personally I always feel like the weight should just drop off when I'm being virtuous. If only our bodies would comply.

Good luck, sounds like you're driven xx

I think I'm more fed up than driven at the moment haha driving me nuts xxx ty

Back