What's so scary about target?

Target, really, is just a number that you pick as the goal weight you want to get to. You pick it with your mind, because you feel for whatever reason that is the weight you want to be. You may have been this weight at 18 and want to get back there now you are 35. You may see this magical number as the epitome of perfection of your own body.

However - your body wont necessarily agree with your mind. It doesnt understand magical numbers, it just houses fat and muscle and organs and thats what it does. It likes it better when you dont overwork it by being overweight, but it has no opinion on what the exact digits you should be aiming for are.

BMI can work well as a good guideline BUT, BMI "healthy" is a quite wide-ranging affair in itself - and with good reason. It is the range of weight that a person of a particular height can expect to put no undue pressure on the functions of their body by carrying excess weight.

Obviously, theres the exceptions that prove the rule. The heavy set rugby player in the peak of health who has an "overweight" BMI despite being in perfect health and excellent fitness. The very underweight person who eats pies, drinks high calorie beer, and never seems to put on a pound. And all sorts of people in between. But their optimum weight in their mind, is probably nothing like their actual optimum weight.

When I set out with a "target" in mind - it was a target that was set on the basis that the last time I had lost weight, I had in mind, but never quite made it because I got pregnant. The logic I used was that it would be the point where I was lighter than my husband.

Thinking about it now, it was a pretty random way to choose target. When I did get there, I decided I still wasnt quite done, and lost a bit more. Those of you who have seen my before and afters will probably think I couldnt really lose much more. But the BMI chart says I would still be healthy at another 1 1/2 stone lighter than I am. Personally, I think I would be bordering on skeletal at that weight. I am 6ft tall, not petite, and being a size 6 would be awful. Being a 12 is fantastic, I never dreamed I could get to there, I was only ever aiming to be a 14.

I didnt fight with myself before I got to target, but I was scared, because I was so focused on the target that when I hit it I was kind of "lost" for a while. Maintaining is not as much fun as losing, losing gives you perpetual bursts of high satisfaction whenever you get on the scale and it says something nice to you. Maintaining is a lifelong commitment to never going back to where you were before. That can be an overwhelming thought.

So when you are picking a target, be realistic. Know that your body may not want you to be the same weight as you were when you were 18, and that it may resist. BMI, weight, it is all a numbers game. The really important bits are that you are happy with yourself and not aiming so high that you will automatically feel a failure if you dont get there. Focus on the achievements you have made - because they are many, and the changes that you have made that have improved your life, but dont stake the success or failure on a specific singular measurement of weight because if you do, and you cant quite achieve it, its all too easy to translate that into "I am a failure" and slide backwards the other way.

When really, you are not a failure, you are a roaring success.

Wow thanks Madamelaminx! I suppose it's all about common sense in the end. Ive lost a stone and a half so far and to lose another stone would bring me to a weight I was 5 years ago - when I thought I was overweight(!). When i do get to that I'll be very happy but the icing on the cake would the other half stone!! I'll work on that stone now and see how it goes.

Thanks for advice x

My C claims that I should be able to reach target even if I eat 15 syns a day... I think I need a week of FF to teach me some more sensible portion sizing etc.

Its a really interesting point.

I've been doing this 10 months now and lost 3.5 stone in the first 5 months compared to half a stone in the last 5.

For me, I am very happy as I am and so I think, the motivation is somewhat lost. I still mainly follow SW which is what has kept it off I guess. I am happy in a size 16 and my hip to waist ratio is low risk.

I am striving (sort of) for those last few pounds (20) so I get into overweight BMI range as I like the way the figures will then look. But, as that isn't what I see in the mirror or how I feel inside, its not exactly a motivational target.

Its a really interesting point.

I've been doing this 10 months now and lost 3.5 stone in the first 5 months compared to half a stone in the last 5.

For me, I am very happy as I am and so I think, the motivation is somewhat lost. I still mainly follow SW which is what has kept it off I guess. I am happy in a size 16 and my hip to waist ratio is low risk.

I am striving (sort of) for those last few pounds (20) so I get into overweight BMI range as I like the way the figures will then look. But, as that isn't what I see in the mirror or how I feel inside, its not exactly a motivational target.

I'd say if you are happy at your current weight and size then enjoy it but part the reason I've ummed and ahhhed about setting my target is whether I should get to a certain point on the scale etc I suppose its what will make us ahppiest in the long run?

I'd say if you are happy at your current weight and size then enjoy it but part the reason I've ummed and ahhhed about setting my target is whether I should get to a certain point on the scale etc I suppose its what will make us ahppiest in the long run?

For me, I just wanted to be able to buy clothes in mainstream stores again so I had a great choice of what to wear. Now that I can do that, the scales have sort of become irrelevant.

Yes I think you are right, it is about what will make us happy in the long run. If its the number on the scales that is important to you, then go for that. I guess its about working out what is important rather than just looking at BMI. I like the fact that at SW you can call target outside of healthy BMI - I really do think that is a good thing.

The only reason I am going to class this time is so that I can have some support when I reach target, and be accountable each week, and hopefully, catch any weight gains early.

I got to target in July this year, and then it went back on so fast it is scary. 8lbs to go now :cry:

For me, I just wanted to be able to buy clothes in mainstream stores again so I had a great choice of what to wear. Now that I can do that, the scales have sort of become irrelevant.

Yes I think you are right, it is about what will make us happy in the long run. If its the number on the scales that is important to you, then go for that. I guess its about working out what is important rather than just looking at BMI. I like the fact that at SW you can call target outside of healthy BMI - I really do think that is a good thing.

Yeah me too I would never have joined if I had had to get to a certain weight....I only thought I'd loose a couple of stone at the most!

Back