What's The Best Diet For PCOS ?

Squirly1522

Hey ! I was diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago. And right now I'm trying to eat right and have natural foods for the most part.

But I'm just wondering, is there a better diet or different foods I should be eating that would help me control my PCOS and lose weight.

HI Squirly,

i can say as i also suffer from PCOS i am finding the slimming world diet works wonders i have been on it for 7wks now and have lost 11.5lbs and still going, i never feel hungry and i find i have more energy now too.
Good luck in which ever you choose.

Google - PCOS and Low Carb.

My Doctor recommended i go low carb and its working fantastically!!

Crazybecky5 said:
Google - PCOS and Low Carb.

My Doctor recommended i go low carb and its working fantastically!!

Cool... I'm trying to do that now, which is great for me because I love carbs... I can live off them if I had a choice. But I am making better food choices. And even when I go out to eat I try to stay away from a large amount of carbs there too.

And I think its working pretty nicely. Some time I wonder if I'm eating too little, but I guess I'm doing alright.

Sminkey said:
HI Squirly,

i can say as i also suffer from PCOS i am finding the slimming world diet works wonders i have been on it for 7wks now and have lost 11.5lbs and still going, i never feel hungry and i find i have more energy now too.
Good luck in which ever you choose.

I never heard of the slimming diet before... is that something new ? I'm going to look it up and check it out. It sounds like your losing weight on it too, which is always good. And do you feel like your eating enough through out the day too ?

I think that as long as the diet is a healthy one and fits with your lifestyle then it's the best diet. It doesn't matter which diet it is...

I have lost around 84 lbs with weight watchers and am now happily maintaining for nearly 1 year. It can be done even with PCOS, I'm actually nearly underweight now and I like to keep myself at this bottom end of the BMI. My hairs problem hasn't gone away... but I booked on groupon a voucher for an IPL treatment, so hopefully my hairs will become better!

I think that as long as the diet is a healthy one and fits with your lifestyle then it's the best diet. It doesn't matter which diet it is...

I have lost around 84 lbs with weight watchers and am now happily maintaining for nearly 1 year. It can be done even with PCOS, I'm actually nearly underweight now and I like to keep myself at this bottom end of the BMI. My hairs problem hasn't gone away... but I booked on groupon a voucher for an IPL treatment, so hopefully my hairs will become better!

That's wonderful, Honestly your completely right. I've been doing My own Diet and it's working for me. I have kept the pounds I lost already off over the holidays thanks to support from my BF. So if you determined enough you can lose weight. Just be mindful of what your eating and keep track of how much and how little you eat. :)

Congrats on the weight loss. Hopefully I will meet my goal soon too.

My weight totally stalled on WW after about 35lbs - i got to a point where the new ProPoints plan just wasn't shifting any weight at all. Low Carb is suiting me much better - i think it is each to thier own. Everyone has a specific diet that suits them :)

Yeah your right. Right now I'm just watching what I eat and portion control. So far so good I lost a little over 4 pounds already.

Thats fantastic - well done :)

PCOS

HI there I am new ti this but i was diagnosed about 2 years ago with PCOS and it's been a roller coaster for me. I was 11 stone and a size 10-12 for about 6 years then in a week fir no reason i put on a stone. I tried in vane all sorts of slimming pills, shakes and diets all to no avail, so yet another stone heavier I then tried the old ww discover plan and it took me 12 months to lose a stone then it just stopped and i lost heart. Over the last 12 months and a few hols later i was 14 and bursting out of mu size 16 work pants. i decided it was time to go back to ww and i joined again on 10th Jan 11. The weight will come off but it is at a snails pace. I have only lost 8lbs in 6 weeks but my trousers fit better and the difference is noticable already which in itself motivates me to carry on. It is hard but if you don't watch yourself the weight will just "appear". I hope this helps and if you need some ww recipes give me a shout.:)

I just found out that my sugar is a little above normal. So from now on I have to watch my sugar in take too. This is to make sure I don't become diabetic.

I know this wouldn't be suitable for everyone but I have recently started the Cambridge Diet and lost almost 30lbs in 5 weeks. Even though the weight loss has been fantastic my PCOS symptoms have improved beyond anything I ever imagined. My skin is near perfect and the hair growth has slowed right down. Obviously the Cambridge Diet is pretty extreme but I think the total restriction on carbs has had a huge effect! Whatever you decide good luck x

Iv just started the Cambridge Diet, which is basically milkshakes and lots of water. No carbs at all, so the weight loss is high. This is my 3rd day on it and iv lost 4lbs already.

Iv just started the Cambridge Diet, which is basically milkshakes and lots of water. No carbs at all, so the weight loss is high. This is my 3rd day on it and iv lost 4lbs already.

I never heard of that program before. What happens when you come off the program, does the program teach you how eat and stuff.

From what I have read online and in books and what has worked for me in the past was low carb diets.

I'm doing Cambridge right now just to get a good kick start than after I lose a good bit than I will probably continue on a Cambridge maintenance w/ low carb.

Yeah Even though I hate to admit it, doing a low carb high protein diet is probably the best way to go. Some thing 6 week Body make over would be perfect for a woman with PCOS.

Low GI is the best diet for PCOS. Basically, PCOS means you're insulin resistant - like diabetics, your body doesn't process sugars correctly (or break them down), so you get sugar spikes, and the sugar is converted to glycogen fast, and makes you fat. Low Carb was extremely popular in the 20th century, but medical studies actually showed that women on higher carb diets with insulin resistance faired better (especially long-term).

Low GI foods include carbs, but mostly wholewheat ones that release sugar into your blood stream slowly. It's a real "diet for life", in my opinion, unlike Low Carb (I myself did the Cambridge diet too and whilst I lost a LOT, I also gained a fair bit back and it was unmaintainable). Avoid refined sugars like the plague!

There is an excellent book about Low GI eating for PCOS by Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller.

The Low GI Guide to Managing PCOS: Amazon.co.uk: Professor Jennie Brand Miller, Nadir Farid, Kate Marsh: Books

This way of eating is working really well for me, but it's up to you in the end! Good luck!

Back