Whats the definition of a trigger food?

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
I'm wondering, after my pistachio minibinge, what the definition of a trigger food is.

Is it simply a food you like and eat more of than you should? One that you can't eat in suitable quantities for this diet? Or is it one that triggers cravings for other foods?

I ate 200g pistachios which is a lot but there was another pack and I didn't eat them. So I wasn't completely mental, and I didn't start craving lots of other things.

If they are a trigger food, will I never be able to have them around again? :(

Well i would say that all your points are valid! Knowing that you have a trigger food doesn't mean you cant have it maybe just only have when you can control!

So i may eat peanuts if:
there is a limited amount or small packet (i'm quite good at not opening next packet too - but an open one.....:eek: )
The next day i am going to have lots of friendly food around in case i get hungry

I wont eat them: in a bar when unlimited supply nuts, i havent had dinner and when drinking!

I'd say all your definitions fit. For me, sugar free gum makes me feel hungry. Dark chocolate might make me crave other kinds. And a big bag of nuts might be something I'd eat more of than I should.

To me it's just a useful catch all term meaning something that makes life less easier on this diet by making you want or have the wrong things.

I know some people avoid trigger foods altogether - usually as a product of trying them a few times and either noticing the cravings or realizing they have trouble moderating what they're eating - others, like me and as Katie said above do things like just getting smaller bags to regulate portion size.

Back