when did it become the Forum for the Rightious!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
rachelbigbum said:
I think as someone relatively new to minimins I'm put off posting questions on the forum through fear of putting something on the wrong place which is clearly a big no no. Or podting a question that has been asked before, although often years ago. Even some of the mods are patronising in my opinion. Personally if I've got a question I leave it until I go to weigh in. At least it's a supportive environment there. My opinion and I'm entitled to it!

You are indeed entitled to your opinion! However you are NOT entitled to be rude to our only Mod!

kingleds said:
I think this whole thread is really depressing for a number of reason, but mainly because of the number of people who seem to assume that when someone says something in a bit of a blunt way they are being nasty. I never assume there is a tone behind any post. As this is a support forum I always assume people are trying to help,even if is help I don't want to accept. I've never seen anything on here I'd consider patronising at all, and nothing that comes close to bullying.

But what I find most depressing about the whole thing is that there are some amazing people on here, who are truly inspirational, who have succeeded with SW, and now won't impart their advice for fear if being told off because what they said is not what the person wanted to hear. Coljack has lost over 10 stone but rarely posts advice. Ermintrude has lost 9 & rarely imparts she advice anymore,even though she knows this plan inside out. Circes just plain disappeared after someone complained at her, and don"t even get me started on the way Fillymum was treated by a member of this forum. Now we are about to drive Jaylou away as well with all this petty bickering.

As yourselves this. Who do you think will be around to give your advice if all those old timers give up even trying???

I know of several others who are thinking of jacking it in-and now with the recent insults and comments, we are in danger of losing starlight too!!!
My dad always told me to 'engage brain BEFORE opening mouth' and I think it may be very apt in this situation!
Starlight works a full time job, and has a life aswell as moderating this forum, pretty much on her own. And I must say she does a bl*ody good job!!!

I've always found this forum to be nothing but supportive. Yes we are all different and we're not always going to agree with everything but this is by no means some kind of exclusive club.

Anything I post is always with the intention of educating or offering solutions. We see a lot of the same threads again and again which is why we have loads of stickies because they have all the info in them. Highlighting these posts to newbies isn't an attempt to make them feel stupid for posting their question it's giving them the answer in a handy easy to access and re-access form.

This applies to sub forums too. If I have a healthy extra question I always search in that forum first to see if it's been asked. If you type a slimming world question into google 9 times out of 10 a minimins thread will be the first result on the list. If you're not sure you're posting in the right place then something as simple as saying "I'm not sure I've put this in the right place so if I haven't please could you let me know/move it" shows you've thought about it at least.

As with any forum you can't expect to only get the answers you want to hear. This is a massive community with lots of different personalities the fact is we're not always going to be super chums. But pointing out to people that they are doing something wrong with regards to the plan or telling them where they can find the info is not bullying or being nasty, it's people trying to help them.

Again just to say I truly value the support from this forum especially from those members that have been around for a while and are SW gurus I've learnt so much from here.

Just to add Starlight works tirelessly to keep this place ship shape for us. Her knowledge of different weight loss techniques is invaluable and second to none. Anything that she posts should be taken as good advice. If you don't agree with what she's saying that is fine but by no means does it make her patronising. Remember it's a forum people and things can be misconstrued or taken the wrong way.

Welshtigger said:
I know of several others who are thinking of jacking it in-and now with the recent insults and comments, we are in danger of losing starlight too!!!
My dad always told me to 'engage brain BEFORE opening mouth' and I think it may be very apt in this situation!
Starlight works a full time job, and has a life aswell as moderating this forum, pretty much on her own. And I must say she does a bl*ody good job!!!

Lizbif has gone off on one before about all this!! Some people like the sound of their own voices!!

As for people slagging off Starlight.....they need to catch themselves on, she does an amazing job, always has done and as I've said before this place would fall apart without her!!

Last edited:
I lurk a lot, I read a lot but don't post much, not for fear of bullies but because I can usually find the info I want without. Ive seen some posts and thought things bordered on rude but not many, although some can be quite blunt. But I've never used a forum where this isn't the case. I sought of feel that you have to assume (unless there's v strong evidence to the contrary) that no offence is meant. By and large I think it's a helpful place.

Cagey said:
I lurk a lot, I read a lot but don't post much, not for fear of bullies but because I can usually find the info I want without. Ive seen some posts and thought things bordered on rude but not many, although some can be quite blunt. But I've never used a forum where this isn't the case. I sought of feel that you have to assume (unless there's v strong evidence to the contrary) that no offence is meant. By and large I think it's a helpful place.

Yeah you're right! There's probably very few question that haven't been asked already so 9 out of 10 times you'll probably find the answer you're looking for by doing a simple search! :)

I'm a lurker and like Cagey find googling brings you here with the answer so no questions needed.

However I have come across rude and patronising posts, i'm not a sensitive person at all and posts are obviously open to interpretation but they are definitely out there. In some cases it's no wonder people leave or are afraid to ask questions.

Oh and no one is indispensible, newbies leave and it's okay but god forbid an oldie should leave! Newbies are oldies in training ...;)

Starlight said:
Thanks for singling me out in all this. It's all been kept general as general til now

To be fair to me I wasn't thinking of you. I was thinking of another lady who replies an awful lot to lots of threads I read. I thought she was a mod, I did say was new.

pink~chocolate said:
I'm a lurker and like Cagey find googling brings you here with the answer so no questions needed.

However I have come across rude and patronising posts, i'm not a sensitive person at all and posts are obviously open to interpretation but they are definitely out there. In some cases it's no wonder people leave or are afraid to ask questions.

Oh and no one is indispensible, newbies leave and it's okay but god forbid an oldie should leave! Newbies are oldies in training ...;)

It's more the reasons people leave that we have the issues with! This forum has lost some amazing experienced people in the last 6-9 months :(

Starlight said:
There are only 4 mods on this site and none of the others post on the SW section. I'm the only one who does

Like I said, I've only been on here a couple of weeks. I'll keep my opinions to myself in future!

vanilla_cupcake said:
That 'I'll keep my opinions to myself in future' attitude really gets my goat!! :banghead:

Yeah well the amount of people jumping on the defensive of things I've written is the reason. Bang your head quietly!

OK, lets look at this realistically. Some days, I can come on here of an evening, and there will be somewhere in the region of 600-700 new posts since I last logged in, a few hours prior. Some of them, most likely, could seem rude or dismissive. Lets say that 10 of them are. No disrespect intended to the other mods, but Starlight IS the main moderator who covers and interacts in this part of the forum, and if you look at the REST of the forum, she also covers all of those other areas too, and is an active member in her own right in the forum area for the diet she follows. Starlight has a job. And a life. She cannot, even with the best will in the world, check every single post for content and intent. So if people do not report these posts, they will not always be spotted. As Starlight has already said, the number of reported posts are few and far between. So, we can conclude from this that either it was not thought offensive enough to report by all of the users OR that the offended party has taken offence and gone off without bothering to ever say that they were offended. None of us are mindreaders, if these things are not highlighted, they cannot be dealt with.

So - IF you find something offensive, then surely the course of action that has repeatedly been suggested is the best one - REPORT it. It can then be dealt with, with no need for this sort of thread where people think it is perfectly ok to start slinging mud around from the safe semi-anonymous comfort of their computer desks, which frankly does nothing but make people paranoid that THEY are saying things that are being interpreted as offensive, and that in turn will cause people to withdraw and stop posting. Which no-one wants, do they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back