"When diets go wrong"

rosaliebm

There is a programme on bbc3 at the moment that is discussing what is wrong with liquid diets. I want to shout at the tv, Cambridge is great!!
xx

To be honest though, I can see why there is a concern about them. But I think it is quite a misunderstood diet really!

Reading between the lines, the reason she had Gall Stones was her diet BEFORE the Cambridge Diet.

I watched this & found it to be a very heavily biased program. Any diet other than 'healty eating' was slated, even WeightWatchers. And the lady in the USA who was blaming her gastric band for having fits.:sigh:
Cheap scare story TV & with little to no useful information.:mad:

And yes CD rocks!

Ah yeah, I rememberd iPlayer just after I posted :D It's the same programme from a few weeks back. The only reason why the diets were going wrong IMHO is because people were either not following them correctly (Atkins), were abusing 'medication' (the diet pill girl), following a strange celebrity diet, or had an underlying medical condition which they either ignored or weren't aware of (the liquid diet woman).

All of which could have been avoided...

My OH recorded this for me while I was away last week. What a cheap nasty programme! What I REALLY hate is when all these holier-than-thou medics bang on about obesity, then proceed to trash pretty much every established diet on the planet. I mean, do they want us to lose weight, or don't they? :mad: A bit of help wouldn't go amiss, not just smirking and carping and trotting out the same old diktats.

The WeightWatchers people must be furious, with the allegation that their diet can lead to anorexia! :eek: But I don't think we need to worry too much - the liquid diet wasn't actually named, but was described as "soups, shakes and bars". Bearing in mind that porridge wasn't mentioned, that sounds more like LighterLife to me! ;) But as has been mentioned, if you're prone to gall bladder problems then I reckon you're going to get them anyway - not once on this site have I seen any mention of this type of problem at all. (Others, but not that one! :eek:)

I've saved the best till last. Some skinny doctor (they always are, aren't they? First to lecture us, last to have a weight problem) has just said, "There's no question about it, once you stop a faddy diet, you're going to put all the weight back on again - without a shadow of a doubt. It doesn't make any sense." I could punch that scrawny cow right in her perfect teeth! :mad: Who the hell do they think they are? And why didn't they bother to show us people who had achieved and maintained a weight loss using the methods described in the programme, instead of just dissing them all and then walking off into the distance, leaving all the fatties to just stew in their own lard?! Grrrr.......!! :mad::mad:

(As the OH just commented to me, nobody's interested in success stories, just scandals! :rolleyes:)

Jaycey, couldn't of said it better myself!!!
I hate Dr's they moan if ur overweight but dnt help and any problems u have are "weight related"!
I remember going to a female Dr and had pulled a muscle in my neck and she said it was cos of my weight!!! No luv its cos im a beauty therapist and thats what happens grrrrr!!

Very well put, Jaycey! Particularly your last paragraph! lol Love it! :D

Ugh I remember they showed this programme a few months ago and we were all infuriated then. I hate the holier-than-thou-because-I-lost-it-the-'right'-way presentation. Biased and patronising, where's the millions of success stories that these different approaches have bought people, giving them a new, healthy, extended life? Total bs imo.

GGRRRRR I'm so irritated (I was the first time round) I can feel myself wittering under my breath for at least 45 minutes...

Glad I didn't see this program. No intention of seeking it out either, based on accounts here!

You'd think doctors would know better than to make sweeping statements along the lines of 'when you finish X diet you're going to put it all back on again'. How long did it take most of us to get to the weights we were? - well it wasn't overnight! You expect that kind of remark from nay-saying snipers in the office bickering by the water cooler, or outright jealous people, but not medical professionals.

Maintenance isn't ever 'easy' or 'instant', but it certainly isn't doomed to fail either.

I watched this first time around, and to be honest, it didn't bother me. After all, it's about when things go wrong, so would be weird if it was about when it goes right :D

I guess the title should be changed though to "when people do diets wrong" rather than "when diets go wrong".

I watched this first time around, and to be honest, it didn't bother me. After all, it's about when things go wrong, so would be weird if it was about when it goes right :D

I guess the title should be changed though to "when people do diets wrong" rather than "when diets go wrong".
True enough, KD! :eek: (But you DO never see a programme called "When Diets Go Right", do you?! Newspapers feature them a lot, but never on TV! :mad:) Sorry I went off on one there - but I am still seething! :sigh: Their attitudes just sucked!

good news never sells though does it?
Its all about scandel and gossip!
Never about happiness and the joy in this world! Who'd buy that hay? lol

I didnt watch the programme...and never will! I cant abide those types of one-sided programmes! If they want to be informative,show me a good solid structured TWO-SIDED argument and let me be the judge!
The trouble is, that some people can be very easily lead by the media....and never question what's said! And THAT is the audience that tv people want to aim for!

We can be smug in the knowledge...OUR knowledge, that no matter what people think...Cambridge works for US!

xx

True enough, KD! :eek: (But you DO never see a programme called "When Diets Go Right", do you?!

Well, no...not with that title, but there's loads of dieting programmes on TV where the results are excellent. Biggest loser for instance...along with a multitude of NZ/Ozzie ones I've noticed.

It always is negative, but people generally are when you tell them about your "latest" diet. The gall bladder thing is a risk when on CD type diets, but you can get the same thing from being fat!! Plus, I would rather that than the million other things that can go wrong because of your weight. All diets can be a risk, hence why it states that you should consult your GP before starting a weight loss programme.

They should do a show on how exercise can hurt/kill you. All the sprains, shin splints, broken bones etc you can get from exercise! It's an epidemic!

Back