when does feeling down stop being hormonal?

debtin

Gold Member
Not sure if the title explains what I am trying to say but will give it a bash. When you get down around time of month when mood swings can occur and you look at pill packet and see its near end and you think "ah that's why am up and down like a yoyo" and then you have something to blame it on. Well when does it stop being hormones?
I wouldn't say I was depressed as I don't really know what it would be entail. All I know is I can go from happy go lucky me to a fly of the handle full of rage sort of person who can sink into a " everythings rubbish" phase. Don't get me wrong am not like this all the time but its happened three days in a row this week. Everything becomes horrible. The marks on the windows, the way I feel about me, worry about everything. I need to work hard to get dressed or do the dishes....once I do am fine and lots of times I can give myself a shake or stern talking too but is this just hormones or something else?
It's hard because my mum suffers depression but hasn't been in a bad way for few years now. I wouldn't say i was, how would you know? Am I just feeling sorry myself? Is it just down days?
Sorry but even typing helps. Not even sure what I am trying to say to be honest x

Is this the first time it has happened or does it happen every month? Does it happen at other times as well? Whether it is hormonal or not you sound as though you are going through a bad time so it might be worth talking to your gp.

I've had depression on and off for years but even when I am otherwise ok I can still get mood swings around my totm so I know how confusing it can be.

Am usually ok to be honest and maybe its just extra bad this month. Will be keeping an eye on it and monitoring it. Think a combination of feeling bad about myself in general with extra pounds and lack of excercise, worry etc but thanks because yes it can be hard. Am not wanting to sound all "poor me" just not sure at what point it becomes more serious. Thanks

I think as you say the important thing is to monitor it. If it is really interfering with your daily life or if your thoughts are getting very negative then you need to get help. If you can cope with it then wait and see how it goes. Hopefully it will just be hormonal and you will soon be back to normal. But don't suffer in silence or be afraid of getting help.

I've had depression off and on for years, and my mum has had episodes her whole adult life too, and her brother...I think when there's a strong family history it is worth being watchful. I think for it to be depression and not a regular down spell, it has to go on for at least 2 weeks...but I'm not sure. There's a questionnaire type thing your GP can do to evaluate you. If it is bad every month maybe they can suggest some treatments for that. I'm on the pill and I swear they told me you don't get PMS on the pill but I really feel cr*p the days I'm on a break.

Deb, have you tried any alternative/herbal remedies like Starflower Oil, Evening Primrose or St Johns Wart. They take a few weeks to kick in, but may be worth a try, you can get them in places like Holland & Barrett. If you take any prescription meds tho, just check with your GP especially before starting St Johns Wart as it is contra-indicated with some prescription meds. All 3 are used for PMS symptoms & St Johns Wart is very helpful for low moods x

Thanks for your replies everyone. Kim I really hope its just a wee down phase just now. Just can't seem to pick myself up tho when I try it lasts for wee while then comes back. It's not been happening for long and maybe It's rubbish sleep affecting me too but will keep eye on it all. Low mood probably describes it best. Also just feeling like I can't be bothered which isn't good with a little one.
Am prob just feeling run down x

jezzi999 said:
Just a warning - St Johns wart interacts with the pill, so of you're using the pill for contraception don't take SJW or you may end up with some unintended pitter patter of tiny feet.

St Johns Wort interacts with LOTS of drugs so ask for advice, just because its herbal doesn't mean it's harmless x

Speak to.gp. I suffer terrible mood swings and I am a complete ***** to live with. My psychatrist proscribed me folic acid as he said there is research shown that women who take it can help with reducing hormonal inbalance. Also, maybe think about writing a mood diary everyday and see how your mod fluerates to get picture of how you feel.

Back