When should i tell my boss?

You should probably tell someone in absolute confidence early on (HR?) because if you need to take time off unexpectedly (morning sickness? or something) they will be more understanding than if it were coming out of the blue.
They can then advise on how your job should change also.

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS!

Ah, maybe i should have given more info

I work for a franchise.. so its Me, my boss... and two other girls.. one being my SIL so cant tell her! and one being a newbie who im not perticuarly close too and im above her anyways, so her knowing would not benefit me.

I also asked for a payrise 3 days before i found out.. waiting back to hear on that, and have a new contract to sign in Jan.. so slightly concerned. It wouldnt be in my boss's interest to screw me over cos without me, she really would be screwed! ..

x

Oh I see - yes tell your manager in confidence, sooner rather than later in my opinion (which doesn't count for much seeing as I've never been pregnant!)

I was worried i should wait untill iv signed my new contract?? or atleast finalised my new pay with her. (i have a feeling there will be some negotiating here!)

i have one week and three days left. If i wait untill new year atleast il be 7weeks?xxx

*strokes beard*

Tricky one. Are you going to have a Christmas holiday period after you have signed the new contract where you won't be working anyway?

i wont get my new contract till Jan when my current one supposedly 'runs out' As i said tho, im so far into the business she would be pretty f*ckered without me. . however she doesnt appreciate me as much as id like i dont think so i do ahve an element of worry.

i split on the 22nd, then were back tues the 6th. Il have my scan 12wks at the end of jan (assuming all goes well, fingers crossed)

Its a bit of a pickle one! I would have to also trust her not to spill the beans to SIL by accident.. which in her blonde moments i would worry!

I'd keep quiet and let on after you sign a new contract :p after all you didn't realise you were pregnant did you? Lets face it . employers will sh*ft you without a thought.

She is going to be f*ckered without you anyway when you go on maternity leave!

I think perhaps leave it until after the new contract is signed, as it is not like there is an HR department to deal with it all and keep confidentiality. If a situation arises where you can't do the work they ask, or you need to go then perhaps tell her.

could u go to citizens advice bureau and see what ur rights are regarding signing a new contract when u know u r pregnant, u say she would be f***** with out u but some bosses can get quite shitty if they r kept in the dark and as i was told by my ex boss no one is indispensable just a thought good luck :)

I would wait, its amazing what an employer will try to get away with when someone is pregnant!

Fern definitely wait until you've signed the contract & got a pay rise (hopefully) Lots of people don't realise they are pregnant till around 10ish weeks so after you've signed the contract you can tell her & say that you didn't realise if she gets funny.

Also what sort of heavy thing is it you lift???

If you can't get out of lifting the idea above is good say you've hurt your back.

I know it's exciting but it's for the best not to say, I've had a bad experience with my employers when Iwas pregnant with my son. They were all lovely so I thought until I told them that I was pregnant then I got grief & they made my work life hard.

Okay thanks for the advise guys! It was more the concern of heavy lifting..
Allie its all hevay appartatus that the kids use during gym lessons.. mats, wooden equipment etc.

I do have joint probs so i will just have to be extra careful and blame my back maybe.

BB, im too terrified to tell anyone else in real life. Im so excited but i just keep waiting for my period to turn up. :(

Okay. New year it is. xx

Listen your period won't turn up...I understand how excited you are I was with my first especially as I thought I couldn't have kids but hey presto I've 2 beautiful babies now & I'm sure you'll have this one & a whole lot more....XX

Like others have said - i'd wait until you've signed your new contract, and even then a few weeks or so. As it's such a small team she might feel like you've deliberately witheld the information to get your payrise (which you have rightly done!), but you wouldn't want to go on maternity leave a few months later if she's got any negative feelings, as it could all be different when you come back.

The advice on the ACAS website (HR & Employee advice) states that you only have to tell your employer before the end of your 15th week before your due date.

I was going to suggest blaming your back, so if you've already had problems in the past it shouldn't raise too many questions.

Congratulations too!

xx

I'm going to disagree with the others here. I think the welfare of your baby is of paramount importance, and as your work involves an activity that would be considered risky then you should tell her so that she can take appropriate health and safety measures as soon as possible.

If she chooses to muck you about over your contract, then you would have recourse to challenge her about it legally - on the grounds of discrimination - but I would definitely tell her - because you need to not be lifting heavy stuff right now at all.

Thanks BB. I had an awful deep pain last night and when i woke this morning i was terrified id come on! untill this week passes i dont think il relax! Its so early, im worried il jynx it by telling her to!

Ultimatly, yes my babys health is paramount. Maybe if i can get through this next week i will tell her before i go on holiday for christmas. Then if she screws me over il will just have to go legal and prepare myself for the fact it'l be a tough few months.

I will have to see how i go.. i suppose right now signing my new contract takes priority over the payrise. Right now a job is a job, and i really love my job :(

x

I'm going to disagree with the others here. I think the welfare of your baby is of paramount importance, and as your work involves an activity that would be considered risky then you should tell her so that she can take appropriate health and safety measures as soon as possible.

If she chooses to muck you about over your contract, then you would have recourse to challenge her about it legally - on the grounds of discrimination - but I would definitely tell her - because you need to not be lifting heavy stuff right now at all.

I'm with Minxy on this one;) - i'm a bloke, and fair enough I will never understand or even appreciate the physical and emotional turmoil (I am a father and grandfather - but hardly the same).

Put the three (baby, self job) in priority order. I'd be amazed/stunned if it affected the decision as to renewing your contract & pending payrise.

Congratulations by the way Fern:)

Thank you very much!

Of course, my baby comes first.. then Job because i need one of those to support my first priority.. but really it needs to be me second because the first one cant happen without me either! LOL

Im torn really. Its incredibly early to be saying anything.. i could wait untill next week.. but then there is no point because i only have 3 days left then so might aswell wait untill new year. Atleast il be 7 weeks.

The equipment is already out tomorrow.. so thats okay. so its putting it away tomo.. up and down tues, wed and fri. then mon, tues and wed following.

I have to be honest, if iv been doing this for a year already.. its not like its a massive impact on my body as if i was only just starting? if that makes any sence?

i will go down the root of a bad back.. im hoping boss will bring in her hubby to help in morn as she has done the last week as our heavy lifter man left last week :( with no sign of a new one coming! xx

Back