When you joined SW...

xMandyDx

Determination is Key
Did you have to bully yourself there? Or did you have friends you joined with?

I ask, because a lot of us seemed to be terrified at our first meeting, as regards getting weighed and actually having to stand up and admit we had a problem.

For me, I had planned to join with a friend, and started calorie counting the week before, to give myself a heads up. I lost 3lb that week, going from 18st even, to 17st 11lb. My friend decided not to join, so I plodded on down by myself. I knew in my heart and soul that if I didn't do it then, I never would.

12 weeks in, I've lost almost 2st, and my friend has gained. She never joined. She still says she will. lol

I bullied myself. Was final resort after many years of yoyo dieting on my own. I decided momentary humiliation was better than feeling fat and ugly all my life. Got to group and discovered my expectations of group were unfounded. I always felt empowered, never humiliated and always supported. Best decision I made in ages

I went by myself. I didn't tell anyone except hubby for ages. The good thing about SW is that no-one ever can really tell you are on a diet! It was only when people started to notice I was losing weight that I said I was on SW. I just didn't want to admit that I had a problem (although I clearly did!!)

I never worried about being humiliated though, after all, everyone is there for the same reason whether they want to lose 7lb or 7 stone. It's just the walking in and admitting it to myself that I found hard.

I'd been to so many different groups in the past that I decided this time was the last time I actually joined a group. Over 4 years later I'm still there. It's for life :)

I didn't have to bully myself into joining, I had to do it for the sake of my health & sanity. The hardest thing was I had to wait an extra 2 weeks as my friend was starting up as a consultant & she needed the new members!

I'm now her star slimmer :)

For me it was because I had been trying to go it alone on a low calorie diet and was struggling to maintain motivation. I knew if I wanted to lose properly I needed to keep focussed and I figured the best way to go about it was to have to turn up and weigh weekly. I did some research and figured that SW was the most appropriate plan for me, being as I like to eat way too much, and just braced myself and went along. Didn't sleep the night before, and nearly talked myself out of it 100 times that day, but one of the best decisions I ever made.

I joined because my husband and I are struggling to have a baby, he's only 11 stone so I knew I needed to do something I wasn't scared and after my first weigh in (a whopping 19stone 5.5 lbs my advisor said don't worry its the last time you will ever see that number. I've lost 2 stone 6lbs in 12 weeks so I'm chuffed :) x

I didn't bully myself to go, as I knew I really had to lose the weight because my health was at risk.
At the time I was having counselling sessions and monthly check up's with the PCT as I was being referred for a gastric band on the NHS, and as part of the guidelines, I had to attend these sessions for a year and then i would be put forward to the next stage. I stopped going to the sessions because I found SW was much better than I could ever imagine and I am so so so so happy with it. Although my losses havent been huge, Im still very happy to say ive lost 1 st 3 lbs and its going down all the time. I can see my shape changing and my confidence soaring. :)
I was scared about meeting new people in there but as soon as i walked through the door i was greeted with the loveliest consultant and it was properly explained to me. That evening i made a good friend who i sit with all the time and have a catch up so this makes me really look forward to going to class also, and to see how everyone else is and has got on. I also LOVE going to class as a few months ago 2 ladies who have learning disabilties joined and as I used to work as a support worker for special needs, learning disabilties etc I love to interact with them and ask them how theyre doing and the fact they get so excited over 1/2 a pound loss makes me feel like i should appreciate my weight losses more.
Sorry i have rambled loads there- but yeah simply, i love my sw classes for all the friends i have made and for the fantabulous plan!:553::D:D:D:D:553:

Although I go along with my Mum and sister, I think even if they didn't go I'd still go - this is my third (or possibly 4th) attempt at SW, and I really am very determined this time to do it. I want to feel more attractive, I want to be healthier but most of all I want to set a good example to my kids. They're all very fit and healthy but so was I at their ages.

I decided to join, no bullying at all - I had a half hearted attempt with old books from 2004 and said that if after 3 months I wasn't successful I'd join a class - I know now I wasn't ready, so of course it wouldn't work - December last year I knew that I'd join New Year, walked in, of course there were loads of newbies, none of which still attend - shame because we have a great class, average 40/50 members, of which around 30 or so stay most weeks - 2.5 stone down, maybe not the fastest, but it's going.
Only my OH knows I am following SW (outside of here & class)

Thanks all for the replies.. it's funny sometimes where you find inspiration, but you guys have given it out in spades to anyone who reads this thread!
Well done x x

After failing another rubbish crash diet, dukan this time, I decided to join either SW or WW. Went on my own the next day :)

Best diet i've ever done! Even the bf agrees as I'm not a grouch chomping on yet another piece of dry plain chicken anymore :p

x

I joined just to keep a work colleague company, she mentioned on day she would like to loose a couple of stone but would not go on her own, having tried SW about 10 years ago suggested we go together, I certainly needed to lose myself, but didnt think I was in the 'zone' until she mentioned it. so...

6 months later she reached target, 2 stones lost a couple of weeks ago and still comes with me, and I am 2.5 lbs off 4 stone (which I will get in the next couple of weeks). The best thing she could ever had said, cant believe I am now wearing size 14's and cant wait to see what I am going to look/feel like once I have lost my final 1.5 stones. Roll on March 2012!!!!!

I had to have a word with myself about joining! I literally had 2 items in my wardrobe what would fit. Enough was enough, I gave myself a good talking to and took myself back to class

I joined because I was trying to lose weight and had no clue what I was doing. I thought flapjacks were healthy, people! It was a work colleague who said, quite cheekily actually, that they were full of fat and if I wanted to lose weight they weren't going to help. I love how it's always these size 6's who can eat anything and not gain a single pound that have this wonderful knowledge of dieting lol. But she did me a favour, even if she did upset me a little.

Anyway I remembered my mum used to take me with her to a weight loss class, I was about 11 and got weighed and everything too haha, so I asked her about it and it was SW! So we both joined together a week or so later with a half price voucher thing. She joined to support me cos she knew I was pretty embarrassed and nervous about the whole class thing. And I've almost convinced her into joining again with me when I can afford to. (Btw the doctor told my mum to stop taking me to it when I was younger because it was going to make me anorexic - what do they know eh:rolleyes:)

xx

I first joined because two work friends were going and they said of their weight loss so I though hey, I want a bit of that. I started in March last year but then my 2 work friends dropped out. I went alone for a few weeks but didn't like being on my own in the class so I stopped going.

A few months later, I had put all the weight back on that I had lost, and I wasn't happy. So I joined again, on my own. The consultant at that group was vile, so I stopped going again!

Had a few more months off plan, gained all the weight back AND an extra half a stone. Not suprising really because I did have a month constant of take aways.

So I joined a new group and my consultant was lovely. Still there now and going strong :)

I didn't have to bully myself as such.. I decided to do it on the Wednesday Afternoon (again.. for the second time) and said to hubby I'll join when there is next a convenient class. We looked it up and it was that evening.

I said I'll do it next week.. and he told me to get my butt out of the door and do it that night while I had the motivation. So I did.

I also phoned Mum at work and told her I was too scared to go alone and would she come with me. She did, and she loves it. We have lost 2 stone 3 (me) and 2 stone 4 (her) since beginning of August. I wasn't scared (as she very well knew), I was making it easier for her to take the plunge too.

I didn't have to bully myself as such.. I decided to do it on the Wednesday Afternoon (again.. for the second time) and said to hubby I'll join when there is next a convenient class. We looked it up and it was that evening.

I said I'll do it next week.. and he told me to get my butt out of the door and do it that night while I had the motivation. So I did.

I also phoned Mum at work and told her I was too scared to go alone and would she come with me. She did, and she loves it. We have lost 2 stone 3 (me) and 2 stone 4 (her) since beginning of August. I wasn't scared (as she very well knew), I was making it easier for her to take the plunge too.

Having a SW class buddy is always a huge help when you first start out. When my mum stopped going with me I found it ok as we'd been there for a while and I'd got to know the class, but the first few weeks would have been scary on my own.

I really admire all you ladies who attend class on your own. My partner has went with me from the first night we joined. Its a great comfort to have him there and we can celebrate our weight losses together :)

We both just got to a point in our lives were we realised that if we kept eating like we were that we would just get bigger and bigger. Its just the two of us and my mum that know we attend class, we like it that way :)

My mum and my sister go to sw aswell but they don't have much to lose but we all go to different classes because we all work different hours. I love my class though they are like family x x x

I've joined many times and hate it every time. I don't know what it is but find the thought of queuing to get weighed rather frustrating and demoralising. I don't know why...:sighs: I dont think I've ever really felt supported or genuinely welcomed by the consultant so that has put me off too. As has sitting whilst she goes through every single persons weigh loss/gain for 2hrs. When it's a class of 30+ it just feels tedious.

I prefer the support I get on here and have had greater success from it...

Back