When you joined SW...

I went by myself. I didn't tell anyone except hubby for ages. The good thing about SW is that no-one ever can really tell you are on a diet! It was only when people started to notice I was losing weight that I said I was on SW. I just didn't want to admit that I had a problem (although I clearly did!!)

I find its easier to admit to being fat/having a problem when you are actually dealing with it and have lost a bit of weight!

I remember when I first thought... right I've got to deal with this. I think I was about 18. Stepped on the scales once (something I rarely did at the time) and was shocked to see 17 st 7. I was so horrified... I didn't go to a sw class at the time as it wasn't big here in northern ireland until recently... I went to a weightwatchers class. Although I found it welcoming, I found there was more skinny people there than there was fat people, and nobody really liked to admit to eating food =P Although its a good diet in its ways, I wasn't very good at sticking to it long term and the change to propoints was really the kick I needed to move to sw.

I went to my sw class last week and my C is fabulous. Down to earth, honest, and just lovely. She admits to her faults (unlike my ww leader ever did) and is more about living your life, not living a diet. The C is always on hand, unlike weightwatchers leaders who seem to do it as a second job, rather than something they actually care about :)

I was terrified the first time I went and took me ages to go! I went on my own in August! Now I love it coz i have never discussed how unhappy I was weight wise with my friends as they are all a lot smaller! Good to have somewhere u can go and speak and hear from peeps in a similar situation whilst doing something about it!

I have been going since the end of Aug and just got up to my 2 stone now! Defo recommend it to anyone! The only hurdle is getting past the first class on your own x

I was terrified the first time I went and took me ages to go! I went on my own in August! Now I love it coz i have never discussed how unhappy I was weight wise with my friends as they are all a lot smaller! Good to have somewhere u can go and speak and hear from peeps in a similar situation whilst doing something about it!

I have been going since the end of Aug and just got up to my 2 stone now! Defo recommend it to anyone! The only hurdle is getting past the first class on your own x

Yeah its almost like a floodgate, once you feel comfortable saying "hey i'm fat" to one person, its almost easier to talk to other people about it x

mama_mia said:
I've joined many times and hate it every time. I don't know what it is but find the thought of queuing to get weighed rather frustrating and demoralising. I don't know why...:sighs: I dont think I've ever really felt supported or genuinely welcomed by the consultant so that has put me off too. As has sitting whilst she goes through every single persons weigh loss/gain for 2hrs. When it's a class of 30+ it just feels tedious.

I prefer the support I get on here and have had greater success from it...

Hear hear,although this time my c supportive even though I dont stay to class.

acc said:
Hear hear,although this time my c supportive even though I dont stay to class.

Acc...I wish it was different as it sound like there are some great consultants out there but it was not to be for me..

Hey ho!

I feel I am a mess, :( I get very upset and depressed looking and feeling the way I do. I have tried reading diet books and following on line with no joy just less money.
It was hard walking in alone to Slimming World not knowing anyone that was 3 weeks ago now. I am settling in. A bit disappointed I haven't lost more weight than I have, but at least I am going the right way. I joinned this forum only recently so looking for ideas,motivation and anything else to help me
Thanks in advance

Wolfie said:
I feel I am a mess, :( I get very upset and depressed looking and feeling the way I do. I have tried reading diet books and following on line with no joy just less money.
It was hard walking in alone to Slimming World not knowing anyone that was 3 weeks ago now. I am settling in. A bit disappointed I haven't lost more weight than I have, but at least I am going the right way. I joinned this forum only recently so looking for ideas,motivation and anything else to help me
Thanks in advance

Whatever weight loss big or small is still an amazing feat! Be proud of what you have achieved it took guts to walk into that room but it takes even more to keep going back week after week (specially a bad week lol) image therapy will help you learn to love yourself inside and out and help you to stop feeling so low. X x x

I was the caretaker for the night that a SW class took place and I started to talk to the consultant who invited me in but I decided to just watch through the door! She explained that the Doctor could arrange a pre-payed session on the NHS so I asked him and I got a 12 week session so I was committed............
Imagine entering a room full of woman and being the only man! But I am happy to say that I was warmly welcomed and I have gone every week since April this year, there is a great bunch of people in our group, we all have our up & downs but we try to help each other. If you want to loose weight then come and join our club!

Each time i've started (yes each time! :rolleyes:) i have started alone! Personally i've never felt embarrased to walk in as i know we are all there for the same reason - to lose weight!

Unfortunately on the 4 times before this time (THE FINAL TIME ;)) i let life get in the way of my commitment to a slimmer me!

I knew i had to join the classes. Did SW at home for 3 month and lost 1 stone then through the summer put it all back on, and just couldnt get my head back in gear.
so I gave myself a good talking too and decided that as soon as i was back from my hols i was going to join.
I thought that by knowing i had to be weighed by someone would be what i needed but actually its the group support that has been my saving grace.

Dieting is something you have to be in the right head space for - so you HAVE to do it for yourself. But would be nice to share that journey with a friend!

I started to worry about the long term implications for my health at the weight I was. I have beautiful children and I want to have fun playing with them and it's important that I'm still around to be a groovy granny.

But yes I was terrified, so terrified I felt I was stumbling over my words. I was so embarrassed about my weight but now I'm fine with what I was because I've done something about it.

Anyone who wants to go but is frightened should go, I love my group, it's full of amazing people and I have the lovliest consultant who I know will help me see this through.

Last edited:
I decided to go when my size 18 clothes were starting to get a little snug.
I had been a comfortable size 16 for a few years... then slowly my weight crept up but I convinced myself I just liked my clothes a little baggy and was buying size 18's.
Then when they started to get snug I got scared and joined a class the following Monday! Best thing I ever did. 3 months later I'm nearly a stone down and my size 16 clothes are starting to feel a little loose :D
Slowly but surely its coming off and I am NEVER buying size 18 clothes again!

Honestly? When I had to ask for one of those extra bits for my airplane seatbelt. I told the cabin crew member I was pregnant. Bad, eh?!

I started on Thursday, I went on my own. One of my friends was interested in coming but she is skint at the moment. I didn't have to bully myself there, I felt that it was the right time. Plus my health was starting to suffer due to my weight. Also my size 20 jeans are getting tight. Oh and a couple of times women have offered me their seat on the train thinking I am pregnant. I am sick of being a fatty ;)

Last edited:
Not so much bullyed myself - I sat down after some rather unflattering pictures and set myself a date to join - which was about two months in the future - I was realistic - i wouldn't have been able to join that month - the car was due it's MOT and tax. Then a month just to get the crap out the house, and out my system. And the rest - as they say - is history (and documented recently (yesterday) on this site - and entering my 4th year now as a member).

The final straw for me was looking at the photos after my boyfriend and I visited his relatives. I looked enormous next to them and hadn't acknowledged to myself earlier just how big I was getting.

He's been updating them every stone, so when I see them again in February they really will have a shock as I might be near target by then!

Back