Where the bargains are at and anything else thats useful.

I had never heard of B & M or Home & Bargain before coming onto this site!

Must be a regional thing!

Asda have the following for £1
500g Plum Punnet - looks to be about 6 plums
750g bag Gala apples
Galia Melon
750g Tray Salad Tomatoes
1kg bag Jersey Royal potatoes
3pk Mixed Peppers
Asda Trio Lettuce
180g bag Baby Spinach

Must get to Asda soon ;)

Tesco have King Prawns on the fresh fish counter at half price....I'm already on my second prawn salad for lunch this week!

Just seen these from Batchelor's on Asda's website and they are 3 for £1!

Cup a Pasta, Chicken, dried, made up as directed, 52g sachet - 1 syn on Extra Easy or green/10.5 on original

Cup a Pasta, Creamy Cheese, dried, made up as directed, 49g sachet 1.5 syn on Green or extra easy/ 10 syns on Original

Cup a Pasta, Roast Vegetable, dried, made up as directed, 54g sachet - Free on Green or extra easy/ 10.5 syns on original

Cup a Pasta, Tomato & Herb, dried, made up as directed, 54g sachet - Free on Green or extra easy/ 10 syns on original

Also in Sainsbury's at the moment they are doing 6 cans of Pepsi Max for £1 (offer finishes 28th June)and 2 litres of Pepsi Max for £1(offer finishes 21st June)!

Tesco's Galaxy Caramel Cake Bars (6syns) & Galaxy Cake Bars (8 syns) are buy one get one free - two packs for £1.30 - the offer finishes 5th July!:D

Done a very small shop in Morrisons tonight as I needed a few bits before my weekend big shop and soooo glad I did, got some real bargains.............activia fat free 6 for £2, swartz perfect shake seasonings 2 for £2, nandos peri peri chip sprinkle £1.99 (not on offer but a fantastic find!), very lean pork kebabs 4 for about £1.50, mini sponges (only 4 syns each), laughing cow triangles two for £1, loads of fruit on offer at £1 a pack and a ww choco mouse thingy (dried packet) serves 2 at 2 & half syns portion.

Might of already been done but asda have strawberries and raspberrys on offer at a quid a punnet!

I picked up the £1 strawberries in Asda then I checked out the smartprice strawberries and they are a better deal - they cost £1.50 but you get twice as much weight-wise.

Ways to cut costs of shopping on SW?

Hi All. Not sure about you, but I have noticed the cost of food has gone up SO much recently, and am now thinking of ways to reduce my food bill.

Things i have particularly noticed are
that Ex Lean Mince is nearly £4 a 500g packet now which is outrageous! Also most meat in general - either the price has gone up or the volume has gone down for the same price.

Some fruit & veg (though posslble i was buying on offers originally)

Hubby likes to eat meat, so green days are out of the question (which I know are much cheaper anyway), but I was thinking there is no reason why I can't do a few green meals for brekkie & lunch to save a bit of cash.

So this morning I had tinned toms & mushrooms on toast, and for lunch I am having a green minestrone soup.

Does anyone have any other ideas to reduce the weekly shop? I do not have a car at present so supermarkets i can get to easily on buses are Asda, and can walk to Aldi/Lidl.

Have been put off of going to Aldi/Lidl whilst on SW as they didn't do extra lean mince, but have just worked out that a 500g lean mince pack is 9 syns in total, so think I might start buying that and synning it.

Are there any other good buys in either of those supermarkets? For example, own brand replacements for alpen lights? Not fussy about brands tbh anymore. Pennies are very tight & needs must :(

Sorry for the ramble..

Aldi's have an alpen light equivalent bar that is a HEB it is called harvest moon and is the under 70 calories one, 2 for a heb.

They also have crispbread and you get 5 for a HEB

Hope this helps

I find their lean mince is very good quality as is there lean steak and they have lots of frozen fish.

Also they have quite a few own brand cereals that are equivalnt to supermarket

also they have boxes of hot choc mix sachets, taste the same as options but half the price i liek the choc orange best, 2 syns per sachet

I love Aldi if you can't tell LOL

Last edited:
Hi All. Not sure about you, but I have noticed the cost of food has gone up SO much recently, and am now thinking of ways to reduce my food bill.

Things i have particularly noticed are
that Ex Lean Mince is nearly £4 a 500g packet now which is outrageous! Also most meat in general - either the price has gone up or the volume has gone down for the same price.

Tesco & Sainsburys do Ex lean mince for 2 for £6

Some fruit & veg (though posslble i was buying on offers originally)

Hubby likes to eat meat, so green days are out of the question (which I know are much cheaper anyway), but I was thinking there is no reason why I can't do a few green meals for brekkie & lunch to save a bit of cash.

Why don't you do Green along with your husband but just give him meat eg do SW chips & eggs and just add bacon to his

So this morning I had tinned toms & mushrooms on toast, and for lunch I am having a green minestrone soup.

Try scrambled/poached eggs on toast or beans on toast

Does anyone have any other ideas to reduce the weekly shop? I do not have a car at present so supermarkets i can get to easily on buses are Asda, and can walk to Aldi/Lidl.

Have been put off of going to Aldi/Lidl whilst on SW as they didn't do extra lean mince, but have just worked out that a 500g lean mince pack is 9 syns in total, so think I might start buying that and synning it.

Get Tesco's or Sainsburys to deliver, pick the cheapest slot (£3.00 here) it would cost me more in diesel to drive there myself and just get all the stuff thats on offer. I have 4 children and one is a new baby so my bill has gone up with baby food and nappies :sigh: but I buy all frozen veg (brussel sprouts, broccoli etc) so it never goes off and is always at hand...much cheaper than fresh!

Are there any other good buys in either of those supermarkets? For example, own brand replacements for alpen lights? Not fussy about brands tbh anymore. Pennies are very tight & needs must :(

Sorry for the ramble..

I think most people will be in the same boat! Aren't Sainsbury's doing an advert at the minute for feed a family of 4 for a week for £50, go onto their website and see what it says about it all, would maybe give you some ideas there! :)

Last edited:
I only have a sainsburys near me and no car and I'm spending an absolute fortune on food and it doesn't seem to matter what plan I do or how I alter it. It is really frustrating

I have been doing online shopping with asda , but the fruit & veg has not been great quality recently, hence looking elsewhere, and i have always found tescos expensive. Maybe i should take another look though

I looked in Sainsburys the other day and couldn't find the ex lean mince deal will have another look.

Back