Where the bargains are at and anything else thats useful.

I was in Tesco last night and loads of Christmas stuff reduced. Some of it was trifles and the such but there were lots of meat bargains so it might be a good time to stock up the freezer.

I bought a piece of gammon as big as a turkey for £6 and six premium pork chops for £1:10. A boned and rolled leg of lamb for £6 and lots of nimble reduced and I bought enough meat for the whole of January for £30!

Ooh what's silver rice :) !!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It's not silver rice lol - it's a rice cooker that is silver in colour :)

I don't really like the taste of quirk mince,so today while I was in holland and Barrett I noticed bags of savory defated soya mince.it's low fat and was quite a large bag for £1.69.
My daughter made a lasagne with some and I used some in a chilli and there is loads left,so it's much more economical than quorn as well .
To use it you just have to put 50g of it with 150ml of boiling water and wait for the water to be absorbed,and as far as I know it is free isn't it??
(well I hope so !!!!!!) :)

I don't really like the taste of quirk mince,so today while I was in holland and Barrett I noticed bags of savory defated soya mince.it's low fat and was quite a large bag for £1.69.
My daughter made a lasagne with some and I used some in a chilli and there is loads left,so it's much more economical than quorn as well .
To use it you just have to put 50g of it with 150ml of boiling water and wait for the water to be absorbed,and as far as I know it is free isn't it??
(well I hope so !!!!!!) :)

Tracy - I'm not overly bothered about the flavour of quorn it's more the texture that's a bit naff for me. Has this other stuff got a better texture than quorn? It certainly seems to be v.good value and as it's free (got this off an old post from Ermintrude "Dried TVP is normally 1 syn per 28g but if it's made with defatted soya it's free"), I think I'll hunt some out. Thanks

Last edited:
Minimunchkins said:
Tracy - I'm not overly bothered about the flavour of quorn it's more the texture that's a bit naff for me. Has this other stuff got a better texture than quorn? It certainly seems to be v.good value and as it's free (got this off an old post from Ermintrude "Dried TVP is normally 1 syn per 28g but if it's made with defatted soya it's free"), I think I'll hunt some out. Thanks

I can't stand the squishiness of quorn no matter how much I try!
This stuff reminds me of the stuff that you get in tinned spaghetti bolognaise.
This is called savoury soya protein mince,and is made by neals yard wholefoods.the packaging is purple and beige and the weight is 375g.
I will be using this alot because I only do green days as red days are too expensive.
Hope you have luck in finding it :)

In Morrisons -

Fibre Plus bars are either 2 boxes for £2 or buy-one-get-one-free (£1.98) I forget ..

Special K cereal bars (about 4 or 5 syns depending on flavour) are 99p a box too

Both offers til 15th Jan, according to the shelf ticket x

can someone please confirm if the Tesco's Value Low fat yogurts (29p) approx for 4 are 3.5 syns each. I always syned them at 1.5. Good start for the new year!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps.
Tesco:
Value Low Fat Black Cherry Yogurt, 125g pot 3½3½3½
Value Low Fat Natural Yogurt, 500g pot 1½1½1½
Value Low Fat Peach Melba Yogurt, 125g pot 2½2½2½
Value Low Fat Strawberry Yogurt, 125g pot 333

Lighter than light Hellmans mayo is 2 for £2 at Tesco

How many syns is the lighter than light mayo? I got a squirty bottle of Aldi's own version (still called lighter than light - and it's only about 89p for squirty or i think 79p for bottle) but am hoping its the same syns as hellmans.

Spookess said:
How many syns is the lighter than light mayo? I got a squirty bottle of Aldi's own version (still called lighter than light - and it's only about 89p for squirty or i think 79p for bottle) but am hoping its the same syns as hellmans.

It's half a syn per tablespoon.

Spookess said:

thefinalcountdown said:
It's half a syn per tablespoon.

Yep 1/2 per tablespoon BUT so is Tesco's version but has double the calories and fat???!!!!!! Weird.

Back