Where the bargains are at and anything else thats useful.

I buy frozen veg now as i was spending obscene amounts of money on fresh fruit and veg every few days because it would go off. It's been a life and money saver!

Seems like all the supermarkets are staggering their offers to attract customers. All well and good when I used to live in London and everything was in walking distance - used to pop in to 3-4 supermarkets on the way home and get all the bargains but in Norfolk everything is spaced out and you have to drive everywhere...Sainsburys it is then (best fresh food out of all of them) got a mega Tesco down the road but I avoid Tesco like the plague for ethical reasons (workfare scheme participation - modern day slave labor!). we have other supermarkets but they are all a good drive away (ASDA, Waitrose, Iceland, farmfood etc)

I was tempted to buy 1 of all flavours of the coffee but just got the caramel one, if I like it I'll grab some more when its next on offer. Nowt worse than spending money and not enjoying it!

Strange - the fruit & veg in my local Asda is excellent, better than Tescos and far, far better than Morrisons...funny really, guess it differs from shop to shop....having said that, I've never done a delivery, and if I did, I wouldn't order fruit, veg, fresh meat or Stilton as I like to pick & choose

I ordered a couple of times from ASDA when I was ill and could not drive or lift heavy stuff. However, like to see what I am buying personaly and would not order any fresh food like meat, bread, fruits & veg.

Seems like all the supermarkets are staggering their offers to attract customers. All well and good when I used to live in London and everything was in walking distance - used to pop in to 3-4 supermarkets on the way home and get all the bargains but in Norfolk everything is spaced out and you have to drive everywhere...Sainsburys it is then (best fresh food out of all of them) got a mega Tesco down the road but I avoid Tesco like the plague for ethical reasons (workfare scheme participation - modern day slave labor!). we have other supermarkets but they are all a good drive away (ASDA, Waitrose, Iceland, farmfood etc)

I was tempted to buy 1 of all flavours of the coffee but just got the caramel one, if I like it I'll grab some more when its next on offer. Nowt worse than spending money and not enjoying it!
I'm surrounded by Tesco where I live, it's like they are forcing people to shop there as I have a big Tesco Extra 5 mins walk away, 3 Tesco Express within a 10 min drive and another big Tesco Extra about 15 min drive away!
Its interesting actually- I was trying to work out where I would shop if I didn't work at Waitrose and I don't actually know? I don't actually like any of the other supermarkets near me for various reasons (Asda being the worst of them all- pure evil lol) so I'd have to say Morrisons but we don't have one in Colchester!!

Very true about the coffee- I brought one jar to start with, had one cup and I was back out buying more! Now my cupboard is restocked with them :)

Yeah I'd be stuffed without Sainsburys, the only other places with nice fresh food (M&S) are too bloody expensive. I'd rather suck eggs then shop at Tesco, and fresh food at other shops isn't great...there is an Aldi down the road though, and a few people on here really rate it, so will pop in there in the week...will probably be fresh food shopping only and veganism and european food don't mix too well! (I lived in europe last summer for 2 months and lets say I didn't at much!)

Well I do live in Norfolk and seeing as there are no motorways or civilised roads here, it probably takes the lorries a week to get to Norwich haha!

I am quite fussy with fresh food though - I have an allotment and grow my own in summer and now I'm settled in a house I'll be preserving/freezing a lot more. So I'm quite used to things tasting really fresh - I just don't find the veg at asda cuts the mustard for me which is a shame as its cheaper. Might be a regional thing! Morrisons is OK, I go there when I cook asian as they sell galangal (asian ginger - bit sweeter, is yum) and all sorts of other things i can't grow or buy in the UK. But I find it quite expensive - not as many deals/BOGOF/etc on fresh food as other supermarkets.

To those who buy frozen vegetables... How do yiu stop it from tasting watery? I've tried it before and didn't enjoy the taste as much as fresh veg but would like to start trying to save some money xxx

To those who buy frozen vegetables... How do yiu stop it from tasting watery? I've tried it before and didn't enjoy the taste as much as fresh veg but would like to start trying to save some money xxx

I leave mine to defrost a little bit before i cook mine, it's still a little watery but not as much :) xx

Just found this thread after the food shop :( damn.

Debridger said:
Strange - the fruit & veg in my local Asda is excellent, better than Tescos and far, far better than Morrisons...funny really, guess it differs from shop to shop....having said that, I've never done a delivery, and if I did, I wouldn't order fruit, veg, fresh meat or Stilton as I like to pick & choose

I find the fresh stuff ok from Asda usually, but won't buy it on a delivery as have had bad experiences with them sending short dated/bruised stuff and having to complain. So I do a home delivery for things like cat litter/tinned tomatoes/beans etc and frozen stuff, then pick up fresh stuff every cpl of days. My kids eat masses of fruit so I need to buy it every 2-3 days anyway so it never gets chance to spoil! I usually get the aldi offers and the rest in either Tesco or Asda

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

EmmaB said:
Thank u! I'd have gone out and bought one of each flavour. Lol xx

I thought that when I saw your post!

I've got a couple of them in the actifry now for breakfast, I don't like them as much as the original ones but obv saves on syns :)

The others were £1 a pack in Lidl this week so I bought some to have in.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just now ticking into smug of caramel de coffee - and it's delicious!! Thoroughly recommend it. I have mine black with one sweetener and its just what I need to pick me up on this cold day at work :)

Anyone know if Linda macartney sage and onion sausages are on offer anywhere? I get through 2-3 boxes a week (only free vegan 'meat replacement') ?

Just now ticking into smug of caramel de coffee - and it's delicious!! Thoroughly recommend it. I have mine black with one sweetener and its just what I need to pick me up on this cold day at work :)

Anyone know if Linda macartney sage and onion sausages are on offer anywhere? I get through 2-3 boxes a week (only free vegan 'meat replacement') ?
Glad you are enjoying it :) I must try the caramel and vanilla but I have a few (!!) jars of hazelnut to get through first :)
I think Asda is the only place with the LM sausages on offer at the moment

Yeah I'd be stuffed without Sainsburys, the only other places with nice fresh food (M&S) are too bloody expensive. I'd rather suck eggs then shop at Tesco, and fresh food at other shops isn't great...there is an Aldi down the road though, and a few people on here really rate it, so will pop in there in the week...will probably be fresh food shopping only and veganism and european food don't mix too well! (I lived in europe last summer for 2 months and lets say I didn't at much!)

Aldi's is good. I shop there quite a lot. However regarding fruit, it's a bit hit and miss. I've ha some lovely clementines from there before, but I bought some a few weeks back and they were horrible. Think they must have been frozen. But they're great for veg and salad and meat. I was dubious at first about buying meat. But majority of the fresh meat is British. Which is good. Tesco's seem to get a lot from Holland!

Glad it's nice!! Is it sickly? I'm going to go and get some! But I'm wondering if I should get the hazelnut one. Does it hit the spot if you fancy something sweet? Not sure on the LM, I tried some the other month and didn't like them!

Back