which diet?!?!?! baffled :(

RachealG21

I have about 120lbs to lose and I have given myself roughly a year to do it in. In my life I have followed the following diets..
atkins
exante
cambridge
weight watchers (old plan)
paleo
slimming world

I would like to lose between 1-3lbs a week and KEEP IT OFF and HAVE A LIFE!!
I lost 8 stone on atkins and exante and piled it back on in double quick time

so any advice would be gratefully received

For that sort of steady, sustainable weight loss, I personally would recommend calorie counting. It's flexible and maintainable. xx

Well the thing about calorie counting is that it addresses the basic thing about weight loss, which is to take in less energy than you use. I've never done SW, but have read a lot about it, and the main criticisms seem to be that it doesn't teach portion control, and that the so called "free foods" really aren't! As for WW, I think it's more or less a modified form of calorie counting, but I daresay more expensive, lol. But I do think any of those three would probably be more sustainable and educational, in food terms, than some of the others you mentioned, which do seem to have a higher failure rate, from the anecdotal evidence on this site. xx

I find calorie counting the only thing to have ever worked for me and I am starting it again. Last week I lost 6lbs calorie counting and exercising and that was with eating chocolate, mc donalds and sweets! It definately works!

I recommend calorie counting also. Also, it means that there are no rules on what you can and can't eat. But it forces you to make smarter decisions about what you should eat in order to feel the fullest.

I think mixing it with exercise (if possible) is one of the best way to achieve long lasting results. If you make that a part of your routine and life, it makes it a lot easier!

And try not to think of it as a diet- it makes it too temporary. Think about it as having a healthier lifestyle! :)

youre having the same battle as i was ! , ww , sw or calorie counting ?, ive decided on calorie counting as its always worked before , its more flexible , any packaged food is usually labled for you so theres no finding out how many syns or points something is .
good luck :)

If you want to still have a life id say weightwatchers, I lost 4st in less than six months while having my night out and a Chinese nearly every Saturday

SW all the way!

Im in the same situation I've lost and gained 5 stone 3 times now and just fed up!! I dont stick to a diet and I know that so I'm just going to eat moderately and try to exercise where I can, I mean I know what foods are good and what foods are bad so I'm gonna give it a shot...for instance I've had branflakes with semi skimmed milk for breakfast, 2x ww petit pains with ham, velvet crunch, mullerlight for lunch and most prob a light choices ready meal for tea...let's hope I stick to it! Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Hi, I too have tried every diet plan going, I now follow SW and have lost over 11st doing so...but what I will say is the biggest thing that I have learnt is it's not what plan you follow but how you deal with the ups and downs of life while following that plan. By that I mean we all have days where we overeat or eat the "wrong" things...the art of losing weight lies solely in our ability to forgive ourselves for that binge and move on from it and not to give in....I have a saying on my signature and it is the truest thing I have ever read and it is my daily reminder of how and why I have failed to lose weight in the last 40 years and why I am succeeding now and I know that once I reach my target I will never ever put on more than a couple of lbs ever again, but I am also not lookin g for a quick fix, this is a way of life and if it takes 5 or even 10 years for the next 8+st to go with life's ups and downs then so be it .

Well done in advance for making the right choices for you, I don't say good luck as it's not luck it's your choice :hug99:xxx

Lily42uk said:
Hi, I too have tried every diet plan going, I now follow SW and have lost over 11st doing so...but what I will say is the biggest thing that I have learnt is it's not what plan you follow but how you deal with the ups and downs of life while following that plan. By that I mean we all have days where we overeat or eat the "wrong" things...the art of losing weight lies solely in our ability to forgive ourselves for that binge and move on from it and not to give in....I have a saying on my signature and it is the truest thing I have ever read and it is my daily reminder of how and why I have failed to lose weight in the last 40 years and why I am succeeding now and I know that once I reach my target I will never ever put on more than a couple of lbs ever again, but I am also not lookin g for a quick fix, this is a way of life and if it takes 5 or even 10 years for the next 8+st to go with life's ups and downs then so be it .

Well done in advance for making the right choices for you, I don't say good luck as it's not luck it's your choice :hug99:xxx

Wow, that's brilliant - makes my 6 stone feel paltry, lol. I totally agree with what you said there, it's vital to be able to "fail" and not get derailed - I finally seem able to do that after 30 years of yoyo dieting (fingers crossed!). xx

Back