which is the best supermarket to buy low fat mince in?

chinababe

Silver Member
I bought the lean mince in Tesco yesterday & when I got home & read the label properly (no glasses with me) it has 12% fat. In the book it says use mince between 5-10% fat. Does anyone know which supermarket sells mince this low in fat. Loss hasn't been as good as last week & I was wondering if it could be because of the mince?
Any advice please?

Tesco do do an extra lean steak mince that is 5% fat, they ales do 2 types of low fat turkey mince

Thanks Ann Teak. I went to a little Tesco so maybe they didn't have the full range, will go looking in the bigger store.

I guess a lot of stores will sell extra lean mince, the only problem I find is that its a blown up price too. I buy my mince from aldi and just keep draining the fat LOL. Much cheaper and so far no probs for me, but of course things effect us all differently.

As a foodie and wife of a butcher, meat always tastes better when cooked with fat. Hence, I would say, buy 'regular' mince, dry fry it off then 'wash it'.

Win win, innit?

P x

I agree. Drain the fat off and rinse it at least 2-3 times. It worked fine for me. The frozen healthy living mince from Tesco is nice too. :)

I buy all my meat at the at the halal butchers. It's soooo cheap and lean. Most sell their chicken meat without the skin, I get there even skinless chicken wings! I pay around £4-£5 for a whole kilo of skinless chicken breast. I know this thread is about beef, but I always chose a very lean cut and ask the butcher to mince it for me. No fat on it at all and only £5-£6 for a whole kilo.

Back