Which is the ' healthiest ' sweetener?

I was using Splenda but found it left an aftertaste so started using Canderel, I use Sweetex in my coffee.

However, I have just been reading about Aspartame which is one of the ingredients in Candarel, looks like a no no from now on for that one.

Can anyone rec any other powdered sweetener to use in home made yoghrt and baking please.

Ta.

;)

The two least processed sweeteners are probably Stevia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Miracle fruit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

I'm not going to judge whether they are "healthier" or not - I am not convinced by argument for or against any of the sweeteners to be honest, and "unprocessed" or "natural" does not mean "healthy" or "safe" - there are plenty of herbs and fruits which are really really dangerous to human health!

If you want to go down the wholly natural route Stevia is probably your best bet - it was approved for sale in the EU just last month. It may be a while before its available to buy, but in the meantime you could always grow your own.

I wish they didnt taste so sweet! sounds really stupid but i find sweetner is sweeter in taste than sugar no matter how much you put in.

they give me headache too :(

Im trying to avoid having it in my tea

The two least processed sweeteners are probably Stevia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Miracle fruit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaI'm not going to judge whether they are "healthier" or not - I am not convinced by argument for or against any of the sweeteners to be honest, and "unprocessed" or "natural" does not mean "healthy" or "safe" - there are plenty of herbs and fruits which are really really dangerous to human health!

If you want to go down the wholly natural route Stevia is probably your best bet - it was approved for sale in the EU just last month. It may be a while before its available to buy, but in the meantime you could always grow your own.

Have you tried Truvia Atropos?
630%5C5010067321630%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Truvia® Calorie-Free sweetener from the Stevia Leaf

Tesco, Sainsburys and Morrisons all seem to sell it according to the Truvia site.

I think it's a question of personal preference. I've tried truvia and it's ok but I find the Stevia a bit intense and leaves a liquorice after taste. Splenda I found a bit bitter, so I now use xylitol, which is fine for taste but texture a bit granular. It's the one I go back to because it's natural(ish) and the flavour is least offensive.

Stevia and truvia are the same, btw.

I tried Truvia... tbh the advert won me over and I agree with Shelle, it wasn't sweet like I expected it to be :( I prefer Xylitol but use that with Splenda because I find it expensive and want to make it last longer..

Liquid Hermesetas is my favourite. Not sure about healthiest because saccharine has a very bad reputation. Having said that, there is now information suggesting it isn't a health risk after all.:confused:

However, I discovered Hermesetas liquid sweetener while in France where it is available in all the supermarkets. It has no carbs and is heat resistant so no problem cooking with it. I much prefer it to Splenda, which I find leaves an odd taste when cooking with it not to mention has carbs.

France does sell the liquid Splenda as well but found it still left the odd aftertaste when cooking but also found it wasn't very sweet when adding to cold items. I love the Hermesetas and buy it on Ebay here in the UK.

I like others here don't like the Truvia products. However, perhaps it may be the best health wise but who knows?

Having been a Splenda fan for years, I absolutely love Truvia...the smell of it is divine...like Creme Brulee mmmmmmmm. And it's SO sweet I literally only have a few grains in my coffee. Good job as it's quite expensive!

Back