Which yogurts please ?

Afitos

Hi, I have defected from slimming world red days fora while and have been reading all your advice on here which is fab.

Can anyone tell me which yogurts you can eat apart from natural ? I don't like natural yogurt but when I look at the carb content of the flavoured ones it seems high.

Thanks for reading

Adding sweetner/vanilla/cinnamon to plain yog makes it much much nicer and it is the best option - if not always the most convieniant.

weightwatchers citrus ones arnt bad either. Its any no sugar, ultra low fat ones without fruit bits in.

Posted elsewhere as well, but might fit even better here - the Toffee and Vanilla yoghurts that I checked contain fructose so not particularly suitable. Safest thing would be to just add sweetener of choice and flavouring (vanilla is readily available, and toffee would be nice if found) to 0-fat plain yoghurt.

I would say no as it contains sugar. If you go to mysupermarket.com and look for it you can double click and see the ingredients.

Funky Chunky, if it is any help, I copied the ingredients list and I wouldn't be having any of those at least on attack and PP days beginning of cruise.
Dukan has less stricter rules now so maybe they are tolerated in moderation, but since moderation is not a word in my dictionary, unfortunately, I'd rather play it safe.
I suppose if you stick to the plan in everything else and use them as an occasional treat in moderate quantities, the fructose, starch and caramel syrup won't kick you out of ketosis.

* Muller Light Toffee Yogurt 190G
Yogurt,Water ,Fructose ,Modified Maize Starch ,Gelatine ,Caramel Syrup ,Sweeteners: Aspartame, Acesulfame K ,Salt ,Contains a source of Phenylalanine

* Muller Light Toffee Yogurt 190G
Yogurt,Water ,Fructose ,Modified Maize Starch ,Gelatine ,Flavourings ,Colour: Carotenes ,Sweetener: Aspartame ,Contains a source of phenylalanine

* Onken Biopot Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt 450G
Water,Fructose Syrup ,Modified Maize Starch ,Thickeners (Locust Bean Gum, Pectin) ,Natural Vanilla Flavouring ,Bourbon Vanilla Extract ,Sweetener (Aspartame) ,Citric Acid ,Ground Extracted Vanilla Beans ,Acidity Regulator (Calcium Citrate) ,Colour (Carrot Extract) ,Contains a source of Phenylalanine

Fractal - I would be interested in particular in hearing where you stand on the old ham debate... (banned in France, yet "okayed" in England if it's "low fat", whatever that is - having recently been in the UK, I sought this special "low fat" ham out, without luck!).

Fractal - I would be interested in particular in hearing where you stand on the old ham debate... (banned in France, yet "okayed" in England if it's "low fat", whatever that is - having recently been in the UK, I sought this special "low fat" ham out, without luck!).

The low-far ham etc I have been having, in moderation but right from the start:

Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself Thick Cut Cooked Ham (4 per pack - 100g) in Sainsbury's | mySupermarket

Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself Cooked Ham (5 per pack - 100g) in Sainsbury's | mySupermarket

Obviously not the 'honey roast' or 'breaded' varieties. Also variations in chicken and turkey:

Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself Cooked Chicken (100g) in Sainsbury's | mySupermarket

Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself Turkey Pastrami (100g) in Sainsbury's | mySupermarket

All come in at around the 2% mark.

Sorry Anja, I particularly queried with fractal because she didn't like the composition of the Muller Lites which he approves. I was particularly interested as the only "ham" allowed here in France, where the diet and book originated, is the "dégraissé" stuff, which bears no resemblance to the English packaged stuff...

Sorry Anja, I particularly queried with fractal because she didn't like the composition of the Muller Lites which he approves. I was particularly interested as the only "ham" allowed here in France, where the diet and book originated, is the "dégraissé" stuff, which bears no resemblance to the English packaged stuff...
The question is easy to answer but hard to justify as Mr Dukan keeps changing the guidelines.

I am very much "old school" like you, Jo, so for me ham is a no. I haven't seen the lean ham variety in a supermarket even here, let alone back home, but haven't been to Sainsburys for some time, either. Out of the 4 products Anja posted I would only use the Sainsburys Be Good to Yourself Cooked Chicken, and only occasionally because of the salt content.

I don't know if I am right or wrong; and am not even offering this as an advice, as not qualified - as it were, Dukan homself seems to be reassessing and adapting his plan all the time (another topic for discussion?) - just as something to think about from personal experience and observations on other Dukanians' journeys.

It's a huge can of worms, really. When I started way back, there were only 3 books available (published 2007; translations from French) so that was all we had to go by. We were very strict, results were very motivating, and it was possible to have varied and appealing menus without the tolerated list - which, actually, is a recent invention. Why Dukan changed the rules, I have no idea - the cynic in me thinks he needed to make the plan more generally appealing/easier and hence commercially viable; the pragmatist questions whether there may have been health hazards that resurfaced after a long time of low-carbing that he doesn't want to acknowledge publicly, yet is taking care of by relaxing the rules. Who knows...

As to the yoghurts, reading the label has become automatic for me. Oh and another thing - how big is the tub he allows? Surely not 2 x 190 gr a day?!

So, in a nutshell, I think we can share our concerns here, and discuss but at the end of the day everyone chooses what stuff to put on their own plate and deal with the consequences.

* "we" a Bulgarian Dukanian forum; I was still back home then.

aaaah Fractal, a girl after my own heart! The first time I did Dukan, I followed the book to the letter, had no tolerated (cos they're not mentioned), didn't start the galette even until midway because that too isn't in the French book as being obligatory... and I lost very quickly! (From 71.1K to 63K in six weeks!) OK my menus were a bit boring, mind!

I've many times aired my feelings about the "singing to the crowd" which he has definitely done of late (while keeping the price of his book very reasonable which is contradictory!).

As you say, each person must make his/her own choices and, at the end of the day, only the scales can be our judge and jury!

I walk past his office most days and really should try shouting up at a window to see if I can get his attention! I hear he's booked up for months and months...

Ref your yoghurt question - as I understand it, the 800g-1litre dairy limit still stands on Cruise, with maximum 250ml in skimmed milk form. Whether people actually lose weight well with such high dairy is another question. Having coached people for the past few years on other sites, dairy is usually a major culprit for a stall.

Thanks Jo yes I realised what you were referring too and why you asked that question to Fractal in particular, and I agree with the sentiments and Dukan 'playing to the crowd' definitely! I was just responding to your ref of not finding any low-fat ham when in UK, there is plenty *labelled* as such around! Might not be what you had in mind but it's probably what his marketing team had in mind ;-)

There is a lot of 'lean' ham, at less than 0.5% fat (as it is specified in the book) available here in the UK. Possibly the lowest, if the most expensive, is Weight Watchers own.

Having mentioned Weight Watchers, their yoghurts DO contain sugar, although not as much as the Activia.

I started on the Dukan diet with 2 friends, who lost 40lbs and 30lbs each and they both ate, and continue to eat many Activia Fat Free fruit and vanilla yoghurts every day - somedays more than a pint of Onken vanilla.

They have been very successful in losing and consolidating their weight and still having the yoghurts.

I feel that being on this diet I have sometimes really wanted something sweet.

It's probably better to have the two fairly innocent fruit or vanilla yoghurts a day than deprive yourself entirely and have such sweet cravings that you end up caving in for cake and biscuits, isn't it?

There is a lot of 'lean' ham, at less than 0.5% fat (as it is specified in the book) available here in the UK. Possibly the lowest, if the most expensive, is Weight Watchers own.
That is good news. Personally, I don't miss ham, or carbs, for that matter so you might say it is easy for me to just accept his recommendations. Now, if the good people at WW could please do something and invent wine, vodka and gin that are Dukan-friendly... that would be nice! *joking*

Seriously, though... Have pondered a lot on this over the years... Please feel free to criticise. To start with, there are several things at play here.

First, the plan is low calorie, plain and simple. I have been monitoring my menus (out of curiosity, mostly) with a toy I love, Dietpower software - no way, if you stick to plan, especially on PP days I could go over 1200; most days I force myself to stay in the 800-900 kcal range. If left to my own resources, I woould undereat - cos proteins are a natural appetite suppressant, they make you feel full, and as I don't eat out of boredom and binge only - but aloways - when I have a drink), I have had no problems. So from that point of view a miserable couple of calories coming from the muller yoghurts wouldn't matter. However what does matter, I think, the sugars, especially the fructose syrup, can play havoc with the blood sugar levels; even more so if one is susceptible to it. This, in its turn, might put you out of ketosis. And while it might not matter much for the featherweights (complimentary) who have little weight to lose, it might affect the marathon losers (like me, or anyone with 60-100-100+ pounds to lose); we heavy-weights have a more messed-up metabolism than someone who has more or les been "normal" all her life. Dukan likened deviations to the effect a pin has on a balloon, and sometimes a small deviation has as far-reaching consequences or even greater than a huge binge for another person. And we all know how demoralising a plateau is.
Second, and this again concerns more the marathon dieters - just cos I have experience with this - our stake to lose is literally bigger; we have to be more careful cos for us it is a long long way.
Please don't get me wrong, I am not against experimenting, quite to the contrary; but in situations like this I think that way: do I want it so much as to risk jeopardising my diet and putting paid to my efforts? No way fructose syrup, all the Es and starch in the world are worth it. ;)
On the other hand some situations sometimes force us to choose the lesser evil; so yes, flavoured yoghurt is better than creme brullee; a grilled pork chop is better than potato salad and all that jazz. But that is another kettle of fish altogether.

P.S. Edited to add: diagnose your cravings; is it habit, boredom (including preference for heavily flavoured stuff) or are you hungry? Cravings are more likely to afflict you when you haven't eaten enough, and on this diet you have to eat to lose weight and avoid going into starvation mode. Often carb cravings are just our habitual instinctive reaction to hunger, and justifiably so - carbs raise the blood sugar levels fastest and are the quickest way to get the brain to acknowledge that your hunger pang is satisfied. The problem is on Dukan your body drives in lower gear and a carb snack, especially a fast-carb snack, disturbs the pattern. Luckily the solution is eat more of the allowed foods, small but often, and be especially careful around TOTM, in stress times etc. Another condition to watch for is dehydration, and it can also be misinterpreted as need for a quick sugar fix. Again, drink as often as you remember; if yu feel tempted by something, try having a glass of water, or tea with sweetener, and some bite of allowed something. Usually is enough.
Last but not least - thanks for the compliment, Jo, it is very flattering esp. coming from you!

Last edited:
Back