Who doesn't stay to group?

I love going to my group. We have target memebers who have been coming for YEARS but love the class too much lol. We do play games occasionally (bingo type games etc), our C tells us funny stories, brings in her own photos from her journeys, often makes new posters/boards with input from us (for example asked us all what our main motivation was, we wrote it out on a card and she pinned them all on a board).

We also have lots of taster nights, we have xmas/summer nights out etc. Its all very social. A group of us even go out walking twice a week for Body Magic.

Our C also has an inspiration box, which is given out to whoever is struggling that week. Inside are some things to help get back on track (scales, measuring spoons, etc). We have a class raffle, a weight-loss grand raffle (tickets are free, you get a ticket for every pound you lose and a winner is picked after 12 weeks and wins a huge pamper hamper) and for every stone you lose, our C gives you an actual stone "to replace the stone you have lost, so that you never have to".

I love our group! lol

Statistically, those who stay to group are more successful than those who don't. SW have the figures to prove this.

It makes me a bit cross when people say that all IT is is clapping people's losses and gains..... it's so much more than that. It is about sharing successes and failures, sharing tips, finding out why you have gained that week and where you may be going wrong and giving you inspiration for the week ahead. As you get to know people it can become a very social group.

I go every week, without fail, and stay every week too - I don't do anything on a Tuesday other than fat club, it's my time. I even take my daughter along if I don't have anyone to have her.

For me staying makes a real difference.

Very well put, Jaylou. It has been my experience of SW groups that you get out what you put in.

I thought the clapping bit would be a bit embarrassing, but it isn't really if you enter into the spirit of if and take a real interest in the people around you. Like most groups, I imagine, we have all sorts of ages (14 to 70), origins, backgrounds, experience, lifestyles - it is a fascinating social mix and very interesting if you are a people watcher.

In our group we all know the people who struggle, those who do well, those who fall off the wagon from time to time, those who plod along losing small amounts but getting there just the same. We have some teenage members and everyone is very encouraging with them. We have one or two men, and they are very popular! After weighing in and before image therapy, I go round and gossip with all the people I know, then go and sit myself next to someone I haven't seen before and get to know them.

After weighing in and before image therapy, I go round and gossip with all the people I know, then go and sit myself next to someone I haven't seen before and get to know them.

This is a great thing to do. I must admit, I do sit in the same place each week (I'm a creature of habit and don't like change too much....). People tend to do the same and I guess this can be seen as newbies as "cliquey" but it's not. Good idea though Avisk, I like it!

I don't go to a group at all - i used body optimise, the online Slimming World group. I have three children - 18 months, 7 and 8 and getting to, let alone staying for a meeting with those three in tow would be a night mare. I weigh in once a week on scales at home and input my weight and how the week has gone on the website. I find if i need any extra info i can always find it on the site and there are LOADS of recipes and stuff online so don't really miss going to group. I used to find it a bit of a chore if i'm honest.

i like staying to class to find out new recipes and tips. i hate the clapping aspect of SW classes and luckily our consultant does so we just clap at the end of the class!!! i do find it helps if you stay to class.

This is a great thing to do. I must admit, I do sit in the same place each week (I'm a creature of habit and don't like change too much....). People tend to do the same and I guess this can be seen as newbies as "cliquey" but it's not. Good idea though Avisk, I like it!

I agree - might do this myself next week, although we have a 'chat corner' and its growing rapidly :) xxxx

Our C also has an inspiration box, which is given out to whoever is struggling that week. Inside are some things to help get back on track (scales, measuring spoons, etc). We have a class raffle, a weight-loss grand raffle (tickets are free, you get a ticket for every pound you lose and a winner is picked after 12 weeks and wins a huge pamper hamper) and for every stone you lose, our C gives you an actual stone "to replace the stone you have lost, so that you never have to".

I love our group! lol

I want to come to your group!!

I've only stayed at group twice - my very first week, and at my most recent weigh-in. Going to try and make the effort to stay a bit more often because I can see the benefits, but myself and my friend are the youngest there by a fair few decades, and I can't help but feel a bit out of place. The group and C are lovely though, just not right for me I think!

myself and my friend are the youngest there by a fair few decades, and I can't help but feel a bit out of place. The group and C are lovely though, just not right for me I think!

Why does it matter how old you are? I am 39 and some of my closest friends at group are at least 20 years older than me, why does it matter?
You are all there for the same reason and have at least one thing in common - wanting to be slim.

I stay to class because I find it really motivates me for the week ahead, but then I do have a fantastic consultant and a great group.

I used to live in Cornwall, and the consultant I had there (the only one in around 60 miles) was terrible; she didn't motivate you, it seemed as if she couldn't give a stuff about anyone. I ended up stopping going to class because of her.

So I can see both sides of the argument.

I would love to be able to stay to class, only my work pattern doesn't allow me. But I still need to go to a class even if it's just to weigh in, and to be able to talk to my consultant and get help with the plan.

Though I must admit that because I don't stay I miss out quite alot, for example I got my club 10 about 12 weeks ago, still haven't got a sticker for it on my book. Mentioned my free week, but haven't got it yet....I just kinda feel a bit forgotten because I don't stay. but hey in the long run, I'm there to lose weight and it's working....that's all I can ask for really :)

Why does it matter how old you are? I am 39 and some of my closest friends at group are at least 20 years older than me, why does it matter?
You are all there for the same reason and have at least one thing in common - wanting to be slim.

Oh of course, I've not really got a problem with an age difference between myself and other members, it's what I'm used to socially, at work, etc! I think I'd just prefer a more diverse group, I don't feel like I 'click' into the group if that makes sense. Like I said, I'm going to make the effort to stay over the next few weeks and hopefully that will make a difference, but I start a new job in September which means I'm going to have to change group anyway!!

I dont. I've stayed 3 times and feel a complete outsider.
There are a large group of women who sit right in the middle of the room and exclude everyone else.

The last time I stayed I vowed that I never would again as they talked all the way through the meeting - even when the consultant asked them to stop and pointed out to them that other people were trying to talk.

I dont feel that I am getting my money's worth though and not quite sure what to do about it

I dont. I've stayed 3 times and feel a complete outsider.
There are a large group of women who sit right in the middle of the room and exclude everyone else.

The last time I stayed I vowed that I never would again as they talked all the way through the meeting - even when the consultant asked them to stop and pointed out to them that other people were trying to talk.

I dont feel that I am getting my money's worth though and not quite sure what to do about it

That is sad. You should talk to the consultant because it is in her interests for you to be a happy customer. She won't want to lose a paying member!!

And she ought to keep better control of her group - people should not be allowed to behave like that and she should be firmer with them.

I want to come to your group!!

I've only stayed at group twice - my very first week, and at my most recent weigh-in. Going to try and make the effort to stay a bit more often because I can see the benefits, but myself and my friend are the youngest there by a fair few decades, and I can't help but feel a bit out of place. The group and C are lovely though, just not right for me I think!

Oh do go and talk to the oldies!! You might be surprised at how much you have in common.

If you imagine yourself to be out of place in a group with older people, then you are missing out. You will be older yourself before long - but I can tell you that you won't feel that you are. Those people may look 50 or 60 or even 70, but in their minds they are still only 20 (or in my case even younger - my niece is always asking me if I ever intend to grow up!)

I have to say that when i was a member of a group i felt a bit of an outsider - even though i went for a good few months, there was a group that always sat together and made very little or no effort to involve new comers even when you I made the effort to talk to them. Maybe thats not how it is in every group, but in the end i just stopped going because it felt a little bit too much like i wasn't really welcome.

with my job i cannot stay at class but have put a holiday in once a month to see what the class is all about ,i heared it is better to stay to them if you can

For those struggling to fit in, I found the same at the first group I went to, I used to weigh in, then sit on my own reading a magazine til image therapy started.

A new group started that was much closer to where I lived, so I decided to join that one just for the convenience. As they were new, they needed volunteers for pay and weigh, so I decided to volunteer and its made a huge difference. You arent sitting around on your own waiting for IT to start, you can be chatting with the other volunteers when its quiet, and you talk to everyone as they come through. Once you get that initial contact with people I find its much easier to get talking with everyone.

Is it worth talking to your consultant to see if they need volunteers? Even if they have a full team, they probably need some extra people to cover holidays etc.

Is it worth talking to your consultant to see if they need volunteers? Even if they have a full team, they probably need some extra people to cover holidays etc.

That's a good idea. Only trouble is, sometimes the volunteers are, well...inexperienced ;)

Since my consultant got a volunteer to start weighing several weeks ago, I've gotten two awards, but neither were acknowledged with a word or sticker :(

:cry:

Anyway :D

I'd love to stay, but I have to admit that each week I am so hungry (the class is at 6pm) that I find I want to eat immediately after weighing in, so I usually leave to feed my face :eek:
I think I'll try staying, as I do feel completely out of it, and I think I might get more out of it than just turning up to get weighed.

In saying that, I don't really follow the finer details of the plan, and I really just stick to healthy eating, cutting out the junk, so I don't know if syn discussions and the like would do it for me.
Talking about motivation would be great, though.

Thought I'd bump this in view of my earlier posts.

I plonked myself down next to two much older ladies a couple of weeks ago and just started talking to them. They've a wickedly rude sense of humour which matches mine and it's been a real icebreaker. I had one lady stop me outside today to ask me what I've been doing as I've lost every week and another couple of ladies came over to congratulate me as well.

I'm so glad that I've stuck it out:)

Back