Who has done Weight Watchers?

I have done WW before, but I do prefer the SW diet, I have got back into cooking recipes from scratch again which I am really enjoying, so I shall be staying with SW from now on.

Both diets are excellent and both work. its purely a personal choice as to what suits each of us and our lifestyle best. Once youve found the right diet for you I think we all become evangelical about it. Having tried them both I know WW is 'my' diet and by the same token others have found SW to be theres.

I would have to say though theres a common misconception that WW focuses of pre cooked, convenience food - thats NOT the case. Yes they have a fantastic range of stuff but they really do push towards cooking. Like SW classes WW ones have taste nights, cooking sessions etc. Nor do they encourage using your points for snacks.

But I digress (I just have to defend the diet lol) theres no right and wrong, neither is better than the other, its a choice. One of them will fit in better with our personal circumstances and our lifestyles better than the other - and thats the one we need to stick to ;)

I have done WW and lost weight with it. I prefer SW now because I don't want to measure and count everything. If I was going to count things though I would prefer to count calories rather than points, because it's easy to find the calories of just about anything because it's usually written on the packaging.
I like SW, it's kinda comfortable if that makes sense. I'm not hungry, there's always yummy food to eat and I feel healthy doing it.
I think it's horses for courses. Whichever diet fits your lifestyle is the one to go with because you'll stick to it for longer.

I love SW, it fits in with life. It's healthy. Just a shame I'm not losing weight on it. I give it 2 weeks after new year. If no losses after 1st week, then will have to start counting again. Will be gutted though. I love SW. I never want to eat another ww meal as long as I live. It really is far harder to point a meal made from scratch, than it is to syn it, or even make it free. On ww. Ready made is just soo much easier. Unfortunately.

Lynda

I love SW, it fits in with life. It's healthy. Just a shame I'm not losing weight on it. I give it 2 weeks after new year. If no losses after 1st week, then will have to start counting again. Will be gutted though. I love SW. I never want to eat another ww meal as long as I live. It really is far harder to point a meal made from scratch, than it is to syn it, or even make it free. On ww. Ready made is just soo much easier. Unfortunately.

Lynda

Hi hon, why do you find it so hard to point meals? I just point the entire dish and then work out the points ikn a quarter, or however much I take? Its worked fine for me doing this, I lost pretty much every week for a year. So don't feel you have to eat yucky processed food!!!

Just the fact nothing is free. You're having to calculate the points in everything you throw in. Then weigh your portion. Or work out exactly what you take. I folund it hard. But I did lose weight. SW just seems so much healther, and I belive promotes a healthier attitude to food. However, I jsut can't eat that much and lose weight it seems. It really is too good to be true!!

Lynda

I went to ww and lost some weight but found counting my points very hard... Plus I was just wasting them on the wrong types of food.
I'm much happier on sw and finding it so much easier and I am eating better than before as I want to use my syns on the odd treat instead of all the points on treats.

I have done weight watchers in the past. I did find I lost weight quicker doing weight watchers and I liked the fact you could eat pretty much what you liked without going off track as long as you had the points for it.

But I do not think it is something anyone can stick to in the long run, it doesnt really teach you about healthy eating, and it is constantly weighing foods and counting points.

Since starting Slimming World my view on food has completely changed and while I still occasionally have days where I go off track, I easily get back on track the next day. Whereas with weight watchers I would be off track for good until I had put all the weight back on (and more) and would have to start all over again.

I like slimming world, because you have so much free choice, and you can have "REAL" filling meals with out all the hassle off weighing stuff etc. There really shouldnt be a point where you feel hungry doing slimming world, because it just isn't possible with all the free foods you can have.

Just the fact nothing is free. You're having to calculate the points in everything you throw in. Then weigh your portion. Or work out exactly what you take. I folund it hard. But I did lose weight. SW just seems so much healther, and I belive promotes a healthier attitude to food. However, I jsut can't eat that much and lose weight it seems. It really is too good to be true!!

Lynda

That is not strictly true. Most vegetables are free on Weight watchers, as are sugar free jelly's and a few other items. (not many though obviously). You also get extra points a day for certain exercise you do and can carry points over, but not passed a week. Also a point is not equal to a syn, you get a lot more for points than you do for a syn. For example 2 slices of weight watchers bread is 1 point.

They also had a similar plan to slimming world called Core, where you had free foods and then a allowance of points also, they have scraped that now, but it is still kind of in their new plan, they are just pushing the points side of it a bit more.

But all that aside I still feel slimming world is better, just because of the way it teaches you to eat healthy and encourages you to make filling meals from unprocessed foods. I love the variety of free food I can have and the fact I don't really have to think about, how much does this weigh or how many points is in this, when making my meal. I just take out the ingredients cook my meal and eat it. :). That is most definately easier to stick to long term.

I did WW in the past and yes if you stuck to your points then the weight rolls off, BUT theoretically you could just lose weight by eating cr*p. I used to save points for wine which meant I really wasn't having the best nutritional content. With SW you know that you're on a healthy diet to start off with .
EE is what it says on the tin. You just eat your free food and the weight goes! You're not constantly calculating points in your head and you're not hungry. It's something you can stick with for life. Who wants to add up points for life?

Last edited:
I did WW and lost about 3 stone, and whilst I was doing it, I loved it! But then, who doesn't love something whilst it's working for them?!

Different things work for different people and I'd never criticise anyone's choice of diet, if it's working for them and they're happy with it!

As mentioned by others, I found WW very flexible in terms of being able to eat pretty much anything as long as you had the points for it. So, eating a Mars bar didn't mean you'd blown the diet. You can also earn a limited amount of bonus points to eat or bank, which I liked, as it really encourages exercise, moreso than SW does. And yes, although WW do promote healthy eating and cooking fresh wherever possible (healthier foods are generally much lower points), there's no getting away from the fact they have a lot of branded products including ready meals.
You can eat a lot of low-pointed meals (full of vegetables) but you can also survive totally off ww ready meals, cakes, snacks, bread, etc! That's not healthy, is it?
I was obsessed with points. Totally obsessed. What could I eat for minimum points? Could I survive on 16 a day? Should I do the 'Wendi plan'? Should I only eat 0 points soup so I can have oodles of chocolate! Etc!
WW involves a lot more weighing and measuring than SW and for me, is not as practical long-term. You can eat the SW way for life, should you choose to, whereas forever thinking in points and constant weighing, to me, isn't a 'normal' way to eat for ever.

I stopped WW for a while and weight started going back on. When I decided to tackle that, I tried going back to WW but it just wasn't working. I was sceptical about SW as WW had worked and I'd heard SW was complicated. I wasn't sticking to WW though. I did two days on then 2 weeks off, I played at it, couldn't get back into it at all. So SW was the new challenge I needed and I LOVE it!

I find the losses comparable - slightly slower on SW perhaps, but very similar for me.

Erm, have I rambled on enough?!

I think I'm the only one in the world who never lost weight on WW points lol. I used to lose 0.5lbs then sts then 0.5 then sts for two weeks etc. I'm not sure why because I was sticking to my points... Who knows. However with the core program and with SW (as you can see from my sig) I lost a LOT more.... I find it interesting that so many people lose weight so easily on WW than I did, maybe I was doing something wrong. Oh well!

I have, but as I need only loose a bit of weight I was only allowed 18 points which didn't get me very far. Also, if it was a choice between fruit (which you count points for) or chocolate, chocolate won.

I think weightwatchers no count (which I hear they've stopped?) was good though. Can eat cereal in the morning, canned soup at lunch. But you only get 3 points a day for treats. Swings and roundabouts really.

What is the Wendi plan?

It's a way of eating your points that supposedly shakes your body up a bit. You have really low points days, and super high points days. I can't remember the exact distribution of points, but it's something like this (based on if you were on 18 points a day normally):

Day 1- 14 very low
Day 2- 19 high
Day 3- 15 low
Day 4- 30 super high day
Day 5- 14 very low
Day 6- 18 normal
Day 7- 16 low

Yeah I think so, and so you can have one day a week where you don't feel deprived or like you're dieting. And keep your metabolism guessing what's coming next, I think. I suppose it's quite like having low and high syn days in a way.
Seem to remember it worked well when I did it.

I've tried WW twice and SW twice (including this time) and have found that on WW I was starving and also struggled to remember all my points. SW the first time around was difficult as it was red/green back then but now its much easier for me with EE as I'm a fussy eater and EE is better suited to me.

Plus my SW consultant is one of the top consultants in the UK and has had several members in the magazine. She's really nice and friendly. I found the WW consultant to be really false and just going through the motions iykwim. The WW classes always had long queues of people so I never had time to sit for the talk by the end of the queue. the WW consultant never spoke to people 1:1 as far as I could see.

I've tried WW twice and SW twice (including this time) and have found that on WW I was starving and also struggled to remember all my points. SW the first time around was difficult as it was red/green back then but now its much easier for me with EE as I'm a fussy eater and EE is better suited to me.

Plus my SW consultant is one of the top consultants in the UK and has had several members in the magazine. She's really nice and friendly. I found the WW consultant to be really false and just going through the motions iykwim. The WW classes always had long queues of people so I never had time to sit for the talk by the end of the queue. the WW consultant never spoke to people 1:1 as far as I could see.

You can speak to ww leader when she weighs you xx

Back