Who knows you're on Cambridge and what kind of a reaction do you get?

Ah Froggy, I think we may secretly be from the same family lol... I can laugh reading your posts at the same time as being frustrated for you, as I have a similar relationship with my own mother. She's done her absolute best over the years given her own appalling childhood of abuse and resulting mental health issues, but I've only been able to forgive her since knowing about these as an adult. My daughter is her 'golden grandchild', my partner is the best thing since sliced bread, she's lovely to them both - but doesn't have a good word to say about me! Like yourself, I've got used to it over the years, and now in my 40s I can even find it funny. She once told my daughter (age about 10 at the time) that 'no mother ever likes her own child'. I held in my anger and calmly told her 'Well, I like and love mine more than life itself.' She replied in a matter-of-fact voice, 'Yes, but you got a good one!'... :sigh: Like I said, we find it funny now, no point in being bitter as you say!

So I haven't told my mum I'm on a diet... she'd sigh a lot and turn the conversation back to her own problems and her own struggle with weight. If I was to tell her I'd lost a stone she wouldn't congratulate me, she'd say 'well I don't know how you're doing it, it's not fair, I never eat a thing and I can't lose any.'

I made a point of not telling my in-laws today when they all came over as none of them have had the decency to acknowledge how good I'm looking and they would all have an 'opinion' about it anyway :D

Big hugs all round. I can't relate as my mum is literally supermum and I am very grateful for her but I understand how hard it must be when you don't have that core relationship there.

Froggy you will do great on Tuesday say you are gluten intolerant! Then you can't have pasta potatoes etc x

:confused: Sorry Rachel i thought i had replied to you! You have my huge sympathy. Families can be so cruel. I still get very envious of people with "proper" mums.

lol jem, my son is coeliac and i have already arranged for him to get a gluten free meal so i missed that boat!

Made me smile Racheljane , I only told my hubby and two sons (17 and 14) and they are very supportive, then I told my mum dad and sister, also supportive but that's it I never told anyone else. My supposed best friend and in laws were the last to say anything ! I decided not to say anything unless I was asked as I wanted to stay focused without constantly being asked have I lost weight.
My clients (I'm a beautician) noticed pretty quickly and after 12 weeks my mother in law said something .....I had lost 24 lbs by then !
She has never had a weight problem and last week while talking about the diet she said its a shame you never cut down years ago !
I counted to ten then informed her how easy it was for somebody that's never had to think about it, and does she not realise that we know we are fat and we know we need to lose weight and if it was easy we would ! It's taken me 35 years to finally find a diet that works and personally I think my problem is carbs and sugar ...simple as that !
But you know what ......don't let em get you down ....look in the mirror and know you look good and are healthier that's the important thing ?

Jem, if I have a daughter I hope she'll say words like yours rather than froggy's! ;)

Well done for giving your mother in law a bit of an education, mummysims! What did she have to say about that? People who've never struggled with their weight really have no idea how difficult the entire battle is, emotionally more than anything else!

Made me smile Racheljane , I only told my hubby and two sons (17 and 14) and they are very supportive, then I told my mum dad and sister, also supportive but that's it I never told anyone else. My supposed best friend and in laws were the last to say anything ! I decided not to say anything unless I was asked as I wanted to stay focused without constantly being asked have I lost weight.
My clients (I'm a beautician) noticed pretty quickly and after 12 weeks my mother in law said something .....I had lost 24 lbs by then !
She has never had a weight problem and last week while talking about the diet she said its a shame you never cut down years ago !
I counted to ten then informed her how easy it was for somebody that's never had to think about it, and does she not realise that we know we are fat and we know we need to lose weight and if it was easy we would ! It's taken me 35 years to finally find a diet that works and personally I think my problem is carbs and sugar ...simple as that !
But you know what ......don't let em get you down ....look in the mirror and know you look good and are healthier that's the important thing ?

Brilliant attitude, MummySims ! - have you heard anything yet re your appliaction to be a CD ( sorry, CWP !) counsellor?

Back