Why are you losing weight?

Just wondered why everyone was on the SW plan, I'm assuming it's to get fitter/healthier etc but do you have any other reasons for wanting to lose weight?

I want to lose weight to be able to be more active for my 9 year old daughter

I also want to lose weight so I have a better chance of conceiving again

I live in Malta so the hot climate is a nightmare when you're bigger and it would be nice to wear cooler clothes rather than covering up all the time

Plus I'm bridesmaid at my sisters wedding next June and I don't want to be the fat sister following her down the aisle

How about you?

To be healthy for the first time in my adult life.

To fit into my ordered wedding dress. Eek!

To be confident to wear what i want, and not be making do with what fits.

There are so many reasons why - these are my top 3 today.

to be fit and healthy for the first time in years! We are also ttc and I want to have a better chance at it!

To be able to walk into any 'normal' shop and pick up anything
To be confident and not feel like the biggest person in the room
To have the energy to fun after my 5 and 2 year old boys
To be happy

Great thread

To be able to shop anywhere I want without feeling embarassed about being in there.
To not have to cover up so much when its the summer - I don't want to go through another one of chafing legs and feeling horrible
To actually *feel* better - didn't have any particular health concerns but just never felt good - am feeling a lot better now and hopefully good isn't too far off

FD
xxx

To feel confident in myself
To fit into a size smaller clothing (Size 12 is my aim - 10 would be a dream, but keeping it real!)
To look nice in a bikini on hols in June, and also for my friends wedding, where I am b.maid
To feel and have a healthier life forever

To be 'normal' (BMI) since I was 18/19!
To be able to buy any clothes I want and not panic when I have to get new clothes for work, night out etc.
To be at target when we get married next year
To stop the cycle of bad habits and have a good relationship with food - SW def does this for me!

xxx

To feel better about myself and not ashamed of how I look
To buy clothes from anywhere and look good in them
To not be the fattest person in the room
So my family that I have not seen for a long time don't say 'Hey you've piled the weight on' before saying hello
To be able to see what my face really looks like with out all thsi fat on it

Those are my main reasons although I have loads more.

To be a size 8 like I was when I met my OH because I think he's going to pop the question soon and want to be happy for my engagement party and when people I haven't seen for years go OMg she's tiny instead of saying OMg she got fAt, x

<3... Victoria-Louise...<3.

I just want be comfortable with myself!
Be more confident like i was before i had my 3rd child :)
Just be fit and healthy like i always have done....

Have so many reasons - i love this thread
1) To reduce the back and knee pain
2) To be able to walk into a shop and try something on
3) To be healthy and fitter
4) To have only 1 chin
5) To set a good example to my nieces (2 of whom apparently have a pathological fear of vegetables)
6) To renew my wedding vows and not feel embarrassed when I see the photos.

I want to be able to dress up and feel sexy again for a night out, rather than picking out clothes that will hide my belly.
Since having my third child 11 months ago I just can't shift the extra weight and it gets me down :(

I've been on a diet on and off since I was 17. Losing 10lbs, putting it back on and then some etc. It's a vicious cycle!

I have 'started a diet' on Monday mornings, SO many times and for so many different reasons.

To fit in my prom dress
For a boyfriend
To lose some weight before I went to uni
To lose weight for my graduation
To lose weight to work in France
To lose weight for boyfriend #3
To lose weight before I moved to Canada
To lose weight for my MA graduation
To lose weight to look nice as a bridesmaid

I never lost weight, well, not as much as I wanted to anyway, and what I did lose just went straight back on what I 'stopped' dieting.

I am so glad you posted this question, because it made me ask myself *why* I'm on sw right now.

There is no boyfriend, no graduation, no dresses or proms and thankfully, this time I *am* losing weight.

I am losing weight because I am sticking to a plan that is easy to follow and it works.
I'm not giving up (no matter how many times I fall off :p) because I *want* to lose weight for me. I really do.

I want to be able to walk in to any shop and buy nice clothes that I actually like, not just in my size.
I want to be confident when I go swimming/to the gym and not feel like everyone is looking at/judging me
I want to wear LESS clothes on holiday - and not feel I need to cover up in linen trousers (which make me look like a heffer anyway :p)
I want to get up after a night out and NOT have to rush on to facebook to de tag photographs.
I want to lose weight so the wii doesn't berate me for my bmi :p
I want to lose weight so that people will stop saying 'but you have such a pretty face'

I want to lose weight because I am unhappy with the way I look... It's selfish and shallow, I know.. but now.. more than anything I want to lose weight for myself.

And because there is only me to dissappoint, I think this time, maybe... with the help of everyone on here (am so grateful for support on here :hug99) I might actually be able to do it.

To stop feeling ashamed.
To regain my social life. (I won't see any of my friends since I put on the last 10 stone.)
To regain some confidence.
To get a job that requires me to leave the house.
To be independent and stop feeling codependent.
To be in control of myself instead of trying to control others.
To make my daughter and family proud of me.
To be able to buy nice clothes and feel good in them.
To have more energy.
To go swimming.
To be able to get about more and do more things.
To be healthier and fitter and not a walking heart attack.
To look better and not be "such a pretty face".
To travel.
To not be "morbidly obese". :s
To enjoy the warmer weather (although I will always love heavy rain the best).
To be able to enjoy long walks.
To not have others pity me.
To have the confidence to show off my jewellery and art work without wondering what people are thinking about me.
To "get a life".
To stop punishing myself and my body and learn to respect it and me.
To enjoy having a photograph taken and to post normal pics to my Facebook, not just head shots because I'm embarrassed about my body.

Think I covered just about everything :p

Elaine, there's a function on Facebook that you can set so only you can see tagged images and videos of yourself. It won't appear on your profile or on other peoples walls or notifications. I would die if someone tagged me so I made sure it was turned off.

If you go to Account > Privacy Settings.

Near the bottom of the page you'll see "Customise Settings" next to a little pencil icon. Click that and then under "Things other people share" the top option is "Photos and videos I'm tagged in". If you click Edit Settings you can change that to "Only Me".

Last edited:
sick of not looking nice on nights out & totally refused to buy clothes in one size bigger & felt sick squeezed into the jeans I had so it was time

Back