Why do you want to lose weight?

LVLLM

Gold Member
Why do we want to lose weight? (given that, for some of us, we've already done that and regained again)... what can help us next time refuse [x] in favour of staying slim?

Stolen from Jos thread.
:D

i want to lose weight because of my heath and the way i want to look but mainly the point i regained weight was really out of my hands has we all know ,so really if my son had not been ill i would not have reagined !!

good morning vicks

morning Jet :D
ill have a good think about why i want to lose and will come back later :)

I wanted to lose for my health,
for a wedding ive just been to and stunned the pants off everyone!
to get pregnant and be a bit healthier when i am.......

hey sona ,nice one im really pleased u stunned everyone , i bet u felt fantastic ....... well done !!!

I want to lose weight because:

. I am more self-confident slimmer
. I have a wardrobe full of target weight clothes I can no longer get into, and I was so proud to be wearing them
. I need to stop dieting
. I have been dieting most of my life
. I need to free up time and space in my brain to think about other things than just food and my weight

To get some confidence back.
To have a choice of where to shop for clothes and a choice of what to buy.
To be able to buy theatre tickets in the middle of the row without worrying that I might spill over and annoy the person next to me.
To be more comfortable on the bus and on planes.
To get rid of the paranoia that people are looking and laughing.
To be healthy.
To have some sucess.
To have one less thing to worry about.

great posts girls.
I want to get into all my size twelve clothes.
I dont want muffin top
I want to look at myself when walking past a shop and think wow I look ok.
I too want to stop dieting and thinking about food - but thats going to be a huge habit to break (im definately a live to eat person)
Im sick of being the fattest person in the offices at work.
I want to go on holiday in a bikini and not run to the pool/sea with that horrid embarrassed feeling.

I too want to stop dieting and thinking about food - but thats going to be a huge habit to break (im definately a live to eat person)

I'm deliberately picking up on this one as a fellow serial dieter.

I think, once at target and stabilised PROPERLY and LENGTHILY (because we'll need to know a little more by then about our body's reactions to various carbs, and what we can and can't have, and how much we can eat per day/week/fortnight - this is when daily weighing isn't good! without having an adverse affect on our weight), we NEED TO BE STRIVING to ensure that we then STOP the diet/overeating cycle forever.

We'll know all about eating a "treat" meal once (or twice perhaps) a week and then have one STRICT PP a week, and the other days won't be diet, as such, but "normality", won't they?

(calorie free) Food for thought...

Yes you are right. I need to figure out why i let myself put weight on though? My promise to myself is if my jeans start getting tight (er) LOL i will NOT get the larger size out of the loft, but will keep an eye on what im eating.
I know if i gain, I know what certain carbs do to me. Its going to be a balancing game but im 33 and ive got to get this sorted.

Absolutely agree that we must stop this (else you'll still be here at my age!!)... having the clothes alone, didn't do it for me... I even swore never to buy a larger size but of course, in the end, it's that or call in sick to work!!

LOL Jo. Im not going to let myself get that far this time at all. i cant.

Hmm, need to think here.

I should start by saying that this is my first serious diet since being a teenager (when I might have 'dieted' a bit but not really!). The first thing I had to do was buy reliably working bathroom scales.

I kept telling myself that I had been this (my old) weight and size forever. I have (nearly) always worn size 16 clothes for the last 20 years, and I still do, but we all know that manufacturers have adjusted their sizing in the last 20 years.

My weight had crept up very slowly, and when I fell pregnant with DD2 I was actually lighter (around 72) than I'd been a long time before my first pregnancy (then more like 75). But the baby padding came back and definitely stayed. Some of that padding on my stomach is still there by the way ;) - must go an do some exercises now!

I was effortlessly 'maintaining' a stable weight at 2(?) stone overweight, and that was fine as I'd been like this for ever - I was never a willowy teenager! I'm reasonably fit, cycle a few miles to work (I do push myself so I'm breathless), do lots of walking.

But then came my 40th birthday this year and the realisation that I did need to finally finally address my weight, at least ONCE! So far I'd always avoided it along the lines of "I've always been this shape"

I wanted to be able to buy trendier clothes without having to check the largest size. Today I am wearing a fair trade top that I bought on a whim mail-order at Christmas. I did check their sizing and I did buy the biggest size which was supposed to fit but when it came I looked like a stuffed sausage :eek: it was clingy even on the arms. I did not want to return it because I really liked it, considered giving it to a friend but kept it for now. Today it fits comfortably and is not tight. I still have a bit of a bulge on my tummy, and to me my shape looks no different but my existing clothes now fit me better.

Except for my breasts of course. There this diet has been a disaster. I've only ever been a smallish B cup, went up to a D while bf'ing, but now I'm a sad deflated A, and as there are not a lot of (cheap) bras in that size (my size is still 38) I still wear B and depending on design it mostly works.

So maybe this diet for me is a bit about dealing with a "I'm a mum" mid-life crisis, and I'm glad I have started. Where I go hereafter I don't know. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain my weight at a reasonable level without becoming a permanent dieter. I'll no doubt work out how much carbs I can allow back into my diet (mmmh PASTA!). And as I found out the last two week on holidays, I have been allowing myself some little treats here and there and I still came home lighter! So this just needs to be the 'new me' and I'll be fine...:)

How did I end up here? I am not brave enough to join WW, not even online. I considered the Prima diet club as I'm a subscriber and it looked quite flexible and affordable. But when I spotted a reference to Dukan I was really captivated by what I read! Simple rules and no counting of calories or points looked very do-able to me. And I also found this forum and you've all been a great help!

Ok, long rambling post, sorry.

You make a lot of sense! You'll be very "useful" to certain of us later on because, as you say, you weren't really an overeater before, and probably pretty much ate the right number of calories for your previous size to stabilise there for so long. Excellent!

anja ..........

ur post is inspiring because you are truthful to urself and when i read it i was impressed with ur honesty !!

a great post and well done ........

I'll pardon my french in advance...

but my reason is that I'm SH*T scared of hitting 30 and finding it twice as difficult as I usually do to lose the weight... the whole metabolism slowing down, middle-aged spread thing petrifies me..... I'm worried I'll spiral and always be the "big girl"....

thinking about it now I actually do feel knots building in my stomach....

I have clothes in my wardrobe ranging from a 10 to 16...currently in 14s but I want to feel confident that my body is acceptable which will leave me time to worry about other things :) natural born worrier.... sorry for rambling post...slept rubbish last night and got up early to sort a job application...so groggy to say the least....

Oh babe...hugs.
Do you want to get into your tens again? are you going to get those 16s out of your wardrobe or do i have to come and drag them out?

Anja - brill post x

I'd be happy with 12s :)... when I stop with these applications I then have the mammoth task of getting all my clothes into size piles in the bedroom :(........not looking forward to it....

Good post!

I want to protect my health. Both parents diabetic (one T1 mid 40s, side effect of meds for another condition, other T2 - again mid-40s - which developed into T1 due to not sorting diet/weight out - shocking for a GP!) My Dad died 3 years ago (not from the diabetes but that wouldn't have helped with circulation which gave him a lot of hassle) and my Mum has had so many health problems this year, some not diabetes-related but some definitely worse because of that and we are lucky that she is still here and it will take some time before she is back to (her) usual level of fitness. My brother who is older than me has developed T2 diabetes in the last couple of years, he's also overweight. My other brothers are thin - no diabetes, I'm 'rounder' although it's not out of control, I weigh more than I 'should' (or at least, I did, now 3 kilos down) and as I had high sugar levels when pregnant with my daughter, this is my attempt at avoiding diabetes and other nasties which are related with being overweight in middle age (I'm 40 next week).

I hate shopping so just being able to grab size 40 or 42 or whatever I end up as rather than scrabble around to get a 44 (of which there are not many - French women are generally slimmer) and pay and go appeals too.

Not much encouragement from my other half. He prefers me 'bigger' but I don't want to put him or my children through the worry that we have had with my Mum (not to mention the pain, sheer hard slog to get through it and upset that she has had).

Waffle, waffle...

(Aunt is having a siesta, hence having some computer time!)

Hi Laura *waves*

I want to lose weigh because I am sick of looking at a fat person when I look in the mirror. I dont 'feel' fat, I feel slim and lovely then see my self in the mirror and hate it, absolutely hate it. I gained all my weight through pregnancies, after the first I went back to slimmer than I was before probably because I walked loads and I mean 12 miles a day and if I didnt do that I cycled it. Then with #2 I lost most of it, but because I had the other one who was then 4 we did walk but not fast how I like doing it. but with healthy eating I got to where I was happy I was in my size 14s so that was good enough for me.

#3 I was really sick with but by 29 weeks had gained a stone which actually for me wasnt too bad, but unfortunately she was stillborn at 29 weeks . I completely focused on getting pregnant again, I never thought about my weight , it really didnt cross my mind, I just wanted to hold my baby. So 4 months later I was pg again and was sick again but the only thing that didnt make me sick was sweet food so though I ate lots of fruit, I loved sweet cereals and toast with Jam, but didnt put butter on . But in Pregnancies I do tend to store all the fat on me.
Anyway Emma was born 5 yrs ago and I have stayed the same weight ever since, even though I have dieted constantly, and ran, jogged, cycled , walked everywhere, the weight does not want to come off easily. I always eat healthy anyway , I always have, so I know whats good and whats not. I know it wont change my life drastically, though I know it would be beneficial health wise, but I just want to be what I am happy with, I am not doing it for anyone else or any other reason apart from I want to look in the mirror and think ooh that looks nice, and not bu**er I need a bigger size.

Back