Why does sugar free jelly have syns??

Discussion in 'Syn Values' started by elissa_and_neil, 13 January 2010 Social URL.

1. elissa_and_neil

elissa_and_neil Full Member

Hello everyone! This has been puzzling me for some time - does anyone know why sugar free jelly has syns? Gelatine is free according to my book, the only other ingredients are sweeteners and flavourings. I've copied and pasted the ingredients of Hartley's sugar free to help you solve my mystery....

Gelatine, Natural Colour (Beetroot Red), Adipic Acid, Acidity Regulator (Trisodium Citrate), Flavourings, Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Fumaric Acid, Salt

So how come I can set sugar-free squash using gelatine to get exactly the same result and its free?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Jennifer

Jennifer Full Member

Start Weight:
    19st1lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    8st7lb(44.57%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    its very confusing isnt it lol it doesnt have many syns in it though but its like if u cook fruit with no sugar that becomes syns so i guess its a similar thing!

4. marls

marls Member

doesnt make sense but it must have been researched

5. BritMumInCanada

BritMumInCanada Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    sugar free doesnt necessarily mean calorie free and snack type items, are synned according to the calories. i.e. 1 syn for every 20 calories.

Although I am presuming gelatine will have some calorific value too.

I am guessing gelatine is free, because it has little calories and you wouldnt eat it just as it is, you would have to mix it with some kind of flavouring etc.

Whereas sugar free flavoured Jelly is alot easier to make up, although I am still not sure you could over consume too much, unless of course you want tummy ache.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.