Why does sugar free jelly have syns??

elissa_and_neil

Hello everyone! This has been puzzling me for some time - does anyone know why sugar free jelly has syns? Gelatine is free according to my book, the only other ingredients are sweeteners and flavourings. I've copied and pasted the ingredients of Hartley's sugar free to help you solve my mystery....

Gelatine, Natural Colour (Beetroot Red), Adipic Acid, Acidity Regulator (Trisodium Citrate), Flavourings, Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Fumaric Acid, Salt

So how come I can set sugar-free squash using gelatine to get exactly the same result and its free?

its very confusing isnt it lol it doesnt have many syns in it though but its like if u cook fruit with no sugar that becomes syns so i guess its a similar thing!

sugar free doesnt necessarily mean calorie free and snack type items, are synned according to the calories. i.e. 1 syn for every 20 calories.

Although I am presuming gelatine will have some calorific value too.

I am guessing gelatine is free, because it has little calories and you wouldnt eat it just as it is, you would have to mix it with some kind of flavouring etc.

Whereas sugar free flavoured Jelly is alot easier to make up, although I am still not sure you could over consume too much, unless of course you want tummy ache.

Back