why doesnt your body go into stavation mode on cambridge,but it would on 600 cal diet

i have done cambridge in the past, but now need to lose a bit and fast, so i want to only eat very few cals. but have read it would put me into stavation mode? which i dont want so what i am wondering is why dont you go into stavation mode on cambridge diet?

sorry i havent a clue hun,hope someone answers you soon!!!
ELAINE X

No idea, maybe its because everything you need is in the 3packs where as if you were just eating 600cals normal food you wont get everything??

becky xx

i have done cambridge in the past, but now need to lose a bit and fast, so i want to only eat very few cals. but have read it would put me into stavation mode? which i dont want so what i am wondering is why dont you go into stavation mode on cambridge diet?

Hello

I thought you did go into starvation mode on CD - that this is what ketosis is.......when your body uses its store of energy ( ie fat composed of stored carbohydrate that's been converted to glycogen and water ). Your body is naturally wired to take all your energy from any food you have eaten, particularly carbs, in order to keep the store of energy ( or blubber as I like to call it :0) ) but when you go into ketosis it makes your body take the energy from the next reliable energy source - your stores. It goes back to when we were hunter gatherers and in the winter we would not find as much food to eat so when the times were good we would stock up and then when they weren't so good we had the store right there on our thighs, bums, bellies and everywhere else! I knew deep down that A level Biology would come in handy some day.....don't be worried about the word starvation......eating less calories is the only way to kick start your body into taking its energy from your stores. That, or going down the gym and jogging a London marathon every day on the treadmill ( which soooo does not appeal to me as much as just eating less - you would be very very surprised at just how much food we eat despite not actually needing it......)Your body actually needs water far more than it needs food if you are overweight / obese ( and the Cd is the perfect way to achieve this - little calories, 100 per cent of nutrients, plenty of water and the psychological need for taste is catered for as well! )

It is because of the ketosis. This ensures that you burn fat rather than hold on to your fat stores or worse still start to break down your muscles and organs. This is why you have to be above BMI 25 - your body won't do this while you have fat stores to use instead.
I'm hoping that this is correct!
Ceri

It is because of the ketosis. This ensures that you burn fat rather than hold on to your fat stores or worse still start to break down your muscles and organs. This is why you have to be above BMI 25 - your body won't do this while you have fat stores to use instead.
I'm hoping that this is correct!
Ceri
Spot on! And in far less words than me! :0) I do love a waffle ( not the cakeage he he )

thanks for the info...

could it to be to do with the water intake aswell....

i do have some shakes left so maybe i could have some of them

so do you only go into stavation mode if you consumme nothing?
thanks

because cambridge is nutrionally complete and you take about 500 plus cals your body has enough to sustain life , plus you have all the vits and minerals you need to function and for sells to function and when in ketosis it is turning fat in to carbs for its energy as your not supplying your body with the carbs you would normally have if eating properly . if you went on a starvation diet your body would shut down just to conserve everything in its cells to sustain life ..... obviuosly if you did this for a long time you would be basically knackered. when you look at starving people abroad , most of them have swollen bellies, but they have prob been starving for months. if that makes sense

Just found this little nuggett in a medical journal the other half has lying around:

Most medical resources regard ketosis as a physiological state associated with chronic starvation.

And this from Wikepedia ( I've seen this on the Cambridge website as well )

The Cambridge Diet is a range of nutritionally balanced weight management programmes ranging from 415 to 1500 kcal/day involving conventional food and Cambridge Diet products. The Cambridge Diet was developed in 1970 by Dr. Alan Howard at Cambridge University, England[1]. It was first used exclusively in weight loss clinics, and then launched as a commercial product in the United States in 1980, with distribution in the UK beginning in 1984.[2] The Cambridge diet became very popular in the United States in the 1980s, and the Cambridge company says it has helped over 15 million people lose weight.
The diet formula is intended to harness "the excellent weight loss properties of starvation", while providing enough protein to protect lean tissue, the right level of carbohydrate to promote a mild ketosis (the body's fasting mode, which burns body fat) and eliminate a sense of hunger, and the right levels of vitamins, minerals, trace elements and essential fatty acids to maintain good health.[2] The meals are intended to combine all necessary food groups to satisfy a body’s nutritional needs, in order to allow a person to stop craving foods and overeating

Quite simply, your body goes into 'starvation mode'. This mechanism, which is thought to have evolved as a defence against starvation, means the body becomes super efficient at making the most of the calories it does get from food and drink. The main way it does this is to protect its fat stores and instead use lean tissue or muscle to provide it with some of the calories it needs to keep functioning. This directly leads to a loss of muscle, which in turn lowers metabolic rate so that the body needs fewer calories to keep ticking over and weight loss slows down. Of course, this is the perfect solution if you're in a famine situation. But if you're trying to lose weight, it's going to do little to help you shift those unwanted pounds....

this is why cambridge nutrionally complete ..... so your body isnt actually starved of the nutrition it needs just of the carbs and cals . just pulled that from another site. so it is starved of cals but not of nutrition

It's really strange, but I can hand on my heart say that I haven't been hungry for 8 weeks. I still can't believe it works! :0) And I will be honest, I have not stuck to the SS totally, mainly because I find I burn off more calories and lose more weight when I add a meal every few days......strange or what? I guess it all depends on your own metabolism and how much storage you have.........I had quite a lot, a bit like a Big Yellow he he he. Now I'm more like a small loft :D

It's really strange, but I can hand on my heart say that I haven't been hungry for 8 weeks. I still can't believe it works!

Me too, I've not been hungry either, at least nothing that a glass of water hasnt cured. I had been going mad to get eating again over the bank holiday weekend but not hungry just boredom with the same old stuff every day :) but back in work today and not pushed about eating again.

thanks great info

Back