Why don't I have the promised energy the books talk about?

TahjmansMum

I am so tired today, feeling low anyway but I haven't had the amount of energy I have been reading about. In fact I don't physically feel any different to when I was eating the rubbish (except for a nice quiet tum). I was hoping for the energy burst. I also have a bad headache and have taken two Ibuprofen.

I post what I eat each day in the diary section (fed up with buying clothes just because they cover me up), could you have a look and point out if I am going wrong somewhere. I am drinking 3L of water a day too.

Daily I am also taking a multi vitamin, potassium, calcium and chromium Picolinate.

Last edited:
It looks like you're eating some foods which are too carby and not really meant for induction and the insulin rises they're causing are probably what's making you feel tired. When you're otherwise eating low carb, much smaller amounts of carbs can cause insulin rises.

Today, the bread was 12.5g and with peanut butter could have been up to 15+ g of carbs.

I don't know the brand of the raspberry yogurt you had but that's not meant for induction either - a pot of waitrose Scottish raspberry yogurt has around 23g carbs.

You mention rolled oats and also porridge. The porridge may be flax, I'm not sure, but the oats aren't allowed until pre maintenance in Atkins. A 40g bowl can have 26 - 30g carbs

The high energy levels in induction come from your body switching fuel source from carbs to fat. While it's likely you'll still be in ketosis at 40g carbs in a day and possible you still will be at 60g, you're giving your body carbs to burn which is probably spiking your insulin and slowing your weight loss. 60g carbs is more of a weight maintenance carb level than a weight loss level.

I feel like you're adding these foods to feel more healthy and because you're feeling a little rough and think carbs will make you feel better. It's not true. It's natural to feel a little rough in the withdrawal in the first week of induction but raising your carb level will only make the process take longer. Cut out carbs and get your 20g from green vegetables and you'll feel better. It's a different way of eating and takes a while to get used to, but trust it and see how you feel.

Good luck!

Many thanks for that. I feel much better this morning. No more bread for me. Also had a rotten upset tummy last night (sorry TMI I know). I did Google my symptoms and it said my carbs were too low which is why I ate more than usual. Hopefully today will be better.

Back