Why drink so much water - answers

Toni

Back again - hey ho!
I've noticed a few questions popping up about water intake and why you need to keep it so high, so, I've copied this from the Cambridge diet forum, posted originaly by Icemoose: (hope he doesn't mind :))
Why drink water on a VLCD ?
Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat.

Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.

Here's why: the kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When they don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But if the liver has to
do some of the kidneys’ work, it can't operate at full throttle, so it metabolizes less fat. As a result, more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss comes to a stop.

Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention.
When the body gets less - water, it perceives it as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extracellular spaces (outside the cells) and shows up as swollen feet, legs and hands.

Diuretics offer a temporary solution, at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns.

The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs - plenty of water! Only then will stored water be released.

The overweight person needs more water than the thin one.

Larger individuals have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism, it follows that the overweight person needs more water.

Water helps maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration.

It also helps to prevent the sagging of skin that usually follows weight loss. Shrinking cells are buoyed by water, which plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient.

Water helps the body get rid of waste.

During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of - all that metabolized fat must be shed. Again, adequate water helps flush out the waste.

Water can help relieve constipation.

When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. The colon is one of these primary sources. Result - constipation. But, when an individual drinks enough water, normal bowel function usually returns.

So far, we’ve discovered some remarkable truths about water and weight loss:

· The body will not function properly and can’t metabolize stored fat efficiently without enough water.
· Retained water shows up as excess weight.
· To get rid of water, you must drink more water.
· Drinking water is essential to weight loss.

How much water is enough?

On average, a person should drink eight 8-oz. glasses every day.

However, the overweight individual needs one additional glass for every 25 pounds of excess weight.

The amount you drink should also be increased if you exercise briskly or if the weather is hot and dry.

It is preferable to drink cold water, which is absorbed into the system more quickly than warm water.

Some evidence suggests that drinking cold water can actually help burn more calories.

My recommendation to clients is 4 litres for ladies and 6 litres for bigger guys.

When the body gets the water it needs to function optimally, its fluids are perfectly balanced and:
· Endocrine-gland function improves
· Fluid retention is alleviated
· More fat is used as fuel because the liver is free to metabolize stored fat
· Natural thirst returns
· There is a loss of hunger, almost overnight

When I did the diet I put my quick and large losses down to the water, I also put the fact I have NEVER been hungry since Day 7 on the water I am drinking. Don't underestimate how much it helps you!!!

If it means finishing the diet earlier and with less pain then get glugging!!

Don't think of it as water!! Think of it as a fat attacking liquid!!!!

Cool...thanks toni, thats really helpful...we need to get peeing out the fat lol

Yes! I just grabbed a pint :D xxx
Maybe it could become a sticky as I didn't really know the full reasons why either, and it is very important!!

did you know you can drink too mauch water,,and wash the salts out of your system,,

Yeah, Making it a sticky is a really good idea...i didn't know the full reasons either, just got told it helps! Interesting the more you weigh the more you need to drink...think i will be uping my intake

did you know you can drink too mauch water,,and wash the salts out of your system,,
Apparently though you have to a lot of pints in a few hours so i have read

can i have soda water

Thanks for posting that Toni, that is really helpful. I'll be upping my intake this week! It is really easy to let it slip.

BTW, I've read a few of IceMooses's posts. Really inspiring stuff, I'm reading his weigh-loss blog at the moment.

ok thanks toni i read that,,good to know,are you going on re-feed after 5 weeks,,i hopin to do the same sis getting married in 6,,

I'm going to see how much more I loose, I'm not really going on weight, just when I can get back into my old clothes, which is nearly there, ... I'm guessing Im about 7 - 10 lbs, so I'f I loose (hopefully) another 4 lbs this week, I'll seriously consider refeeding! :)

............no flavoured or tonic water. Ice moose as done a couple of good posts, its worth reading some of the other forums sticky's and not just this one as there is a mountain of information out there .

Should keep this at the top xx

Back