Why so much water?

mtm103

Hi all! Day 6 and all going well but struggling with drinking so much water! I know it is important but can i ask why? Thanks!

The reason is that around 70% of regular food is water so you need to supplement your packs with extra fluids. You don't need to drink plain water if you don't like it. You can have cordial, diet pop if it's sugar free and doesn't contain citric acid. You can also have tea and coffee and herbal teas but not fruit teas. If you get a headache drink plain water as I've found that the best way to combat those.

Also try and drink a glass of water when you wake up as it will get your metabolism going.

Goricki said:
The reason is that around 70% of regular food is water so you need to supplement your packs with extra fluids. You don't need to drink plain water if you don't like it. You can have cordial, diet pop if it's sugar free and doesn't contain citric acid. You can also have tea and coffee and herbal teas but not fruit teas. If you get a headache drink plain water as I've found that the best way to combat those.

Also try and drink a glass of water when you wake up as it will get your metabolism going.

Remember no flower teas either (like camomile). I drink a lot of fizzy water. Also, fat burning in ketosis requires the presence of water.

Here are some facts and figures that I've learnt about water along the way. I apologise in advance for the geekiness, I'm a teacher, can't help it!

So why is water important?
* The brain is 70% water
* Our lungs are 90% water
* The human body is 66% water
* Blood is 82% water

So what does water do?
* Water is the primary lubricant in the joint spaces and prevents arthritis and back pain.
* Water helps immune system to function optimally
* Water keeps arteries and brain from clogging, reducing heart attacks and strokes.
* Water is related to brain function and is required for producing neurotransmitters, including serotonin; is necessary for manufacturing hormones needed by the brain, such as melatonin; Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) can be prevented with adequate water intake as well as improve attention span.
* Water aids in the prevention of loss of memory due aging.
* Water decreases signs of aging, causing the skin to appear smoother.
* It cleanses the insides of your body

In terms of weight loss, water has a big role to play too! If we don't drink enough water, our bodies can't metabolise the fat properly and we'll also retain water. You know that survival mode when you're under 1200 calories? Happens with water too! So when you're not drinking enough the body goes geeeeeze I dunno when I'll get my next fix of water so grabs all the water it can and doesn't let it go! So it's holding on to water, meaning that you're gaining water weight and seeing smaller losses on the scales.

The kidneys don't work properly if they don't get enough water so the liver has to pick up some of the slack, but then it's not got enough time and energy to do it's own job properly, which is to convert stored fat to energy. So if you want the liver free to convert as much fat to energy as possible, which'll help your losses, you need to feed your kidneys with plenty of water! The NHS/Dept of Health recommend 1.2 litres of water a day, on top of everything that you get in food. So like Ricki said, because we don't get as much water from food because of the diet we do, you need to try and drink more to make up for it. Someone told me that the recommended 2.5-3 litres includes what you use in shakes/soups/meals but I'm not 100% sure of that so still aim to drink as much as I can on top of that.

I have so much water swilling around in my stomach, I'm hoping the tide will go out quickly!!

Brill info Caroline. See I knew I was close when I said 'to help us wee the fat away' on another thread.

Water of life. Song 2 from come and praise if anyone is old enough to remember it lol

I'm only 26 and I remember!

StripedDaisy said:
I have so much water swilling around in my stomach, I'm hoping the tide will go out quickly!!

Everytime I pee I swear I'm there for 5 minutes, its never ending! :-D

I'm only 26 and I remember!

At last someone who remembers it!! I'm 34 and no one else seems to remember- but your a teacher! Do they still use it?? I've got bad memories of sitting in assembly waiting for the radio show to start!!!

No we don't still use it in school, thank god! I do remember seeing it in church as a kid though.

No we don't still use it in school, thank god! I do remember seeing it in church as a kid though.

oh when a knight won his spurs in the stories of old!!!

ive just spent the afternoon on a really weird loony trip thriugh my childhood!!!! It s got to be the water!!!

Brill info Canroline. See I knew I was close when I said 'to help us wee the fat away' on another thread.

Water of life. Song 2 from come and praise if anyone is old enough to remember it lol

Is that the same book that had 'Autumn days when the grass is jewelled and the something something chestnut shell, jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled, all the things I love....'etc etc?

Is that the same book that had 'Autumn days when the grass is jewelled and the something something chestnut shell, jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled, all the things I love....'etc etc?

Oh that's the one. Song 4 I think. Another bad memory. We were ment to sing that in a brownie competition and one of the other packs stole it before us so we had
No song..... They went on to win it.....I'm not bitter though!!! ....

I wonder why I'm tripping down this memory lane today!!!

Forgot to say,

Silk inside the chestnut shells, jet planes meeting in the air to be refuelled and a win for my home team!!

I loved that one. Don't remember water of life thogh

Back