Why the back fees if you miss meetings?

metrognome said:
my friend joined sw 2 weeks ago and the consultant said it was ok for her to go once a fortnight to get weighed as she works everyother week

That's cos she is a shift worker. She will in be in the system as such & will not pay back fees, but only if she tells the consultant the day before her class.

That's cos she is a shift worker. She will in be in the system as such & will not pay back fees, but only if she tells the consultant the day before her class.

no she asked if it was ok and the consultant told her yes at the very beginning and she doesnt have to tell her the day before the class

metrognome said:
no she asked if it was ok and the consultant told her yes at the very beginning and she doesnt have to tell her the day before the class

The consultant is gonna get a shock then when she has to cover her back fees! They were all told last week they had to follow the rules to the letter & not override anything anymore!

If you were allowed to come and go as you please then I'm sure a lot of people would miss weeks when they've been out, on holidays, had a rubbish week, don't feel like going etc etc etc

We can come up with reasons for not attending every week if we wanted to.

As others have said, it's all about commitment - you are making a commitment to yourself and to SW to lose weight.

I don't think it's a bad thing to charge for missed weeks.

Some people don't have the time or money to make a weekly commitment to the meetings, that doesn't mean that they're not committed to doing Slimming World and losing weight. So yes, there would be people who would veer off and rubbish SW as something that doesn't work but there'd also be people who would still stick to it without weighing in every single week and who would rave about SW.

And no, it's not the same as the gym. The gym is a monthly fee, regardless of how many times you go. The meeting fees are per meeting, it's not like I could decide to go two times a week and not pay any extra is it? No, because it depends on how many times you go.

I still haven't really got the answer of why SW say they charge the back fees, maybe they don't give a reason for it though but to be honest, doesn't really matter, I was just interested. Obviously there are lots of you who don't have a problem with them, though I've listened to what you've all said, personally I still do.

despite not going to a meeting, you still get access to the online stuff once you join a group, so I figure that is why you are still charged for missed weeks.

Weight watchers have always charged too.

I don't think it really matters what any if us say, there is gona be an argument anyway.

If you don't want to sign up & agree to pay for missed weeks then don't sign up. Find another plan or method that suits you better.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

caroline g said:
Some people don't have the time or money to make a weekly commitment to the meetings, that doesn't mean that they're not committed to doing Slimming World and losing weight. So yes, there would be people who would veer off and rubbish SW as something that doesn't work but there'd also be people who would still stick to it without weighing in every single week and who would rave about SW.

And no, it's not the same as the gym. The gym is a monthly fee, regardless of how many times you go. The meeting fees are per meeting, it's not like I could decide to go two times a week and not pay any extra is it? No, because it depends on how many times you go.

I still haven't really got the answer of why SW say they charge the back fees, maybe they don't give a reason for it though but to be honest, doesn't really matter, I was just interested. Obviously there are lots of you who don't have a problem with them, though I've listened to what you've all said, personally I still do.

Actually YES! you can pay once and go to as many groups as you want in a week. If you go and get weighed on a Monday, you can go to IT every night of the week if you choose, and to any group in the uk!!!

Welshtigger said:
Actually YES! you can pay once and go to as many groups as you want in a week. If you go and get weighed on a Monday, you can go to IT every night of the week if you choose, and to any group in the uk!!!

I didn't know that welshtigger, that's good!

cupcake86 said:
I didn't know that welshtigger, that's good!

Yep, as long as you only get weighed once! You could go to IT 4 times in one day if you liked!
I used to get weighed on a Tuesday am after my night shift, and then go to group with my bf at the time on a Wednesday tea time!

Some people don't have the time or money to make a weekly commitment to the meetings, that doesn't mean that they're not committed to doing Slimming World and losing weight..

I would say the only option then is to join online. That way you can weigh at your convenience, every week.

Yep, as long as you only get weighed once! You could go to IT 4 times in one day if you liked!
I used to get weighed on a Tuesday am after my night shift, and then go to group with my bf at the time on a Wednesday tea time!

We were only saying at our class ( Tuesday ) that we wish we could have a group half way through the week to keep us all in order lol!

They charge you because they can. I love the SW diet. It's been great (so far) but it's been very very expensive compared to other diets that work as well but cost nothing. The meetings are a BUSINESS. It's run just like Ann summers or Avon or body shop. (I was a party plan manager for several years so believe me i KNOW how the whole caboodle stacks up) The consultants aren't necessarily even very successful dieters OR that knowledgeable about nutrition. My "consultant" is far larger than me (my BMI is 30.4 at the mo so I'm not a twiglet) and actually isn't very organised, supportive OR inspiring. She is there to make money. Theres nothing wrong with that. None of the consultants do it out of the goodness of their hearts although I don't doubt there's plenty out there who genuinely care for their ladies. BUT the charging of back weeks feels wrong to me because I receive very little in return for my £5. No mid week supportive emails. No challenge texts. It's VERY obvious she has memorised the yellow book but doesn't Know anything else. There's literally dozens of folk here on minimins who have helped me more since I started SW.

I would say the only option then is to join online. That way you can weigh at your convenience, every week.

You don't even have to waste your money online membership, there is tonnnnnnnns of info on here plus other sites. As long as you suss out the main rules of the plan your be swimming :)

The fact is, that in most areas they run a number of groups a week, in my area there are 2 on Tuesday, 4 on Thursday & 3 on Saturday. So it's not unrealistic of them to expect you'll attend the
Majority of the weeks, and they make it very clear before you sign up, so if you don't agree you can always vote with your feet & do as a number of people of here have already suggested.

We all have busy & demanding life's, to varying degrees, but if your weight loss is important, and you feel going to group is going to assist you in
Loosing weight, then most of us find a way to fit it in.

cupcake86 said:
I don't think it really matters what any if us say, there is gona be an argument anyway.

If you don't want to sign up & agree to pay for missed weeks then don't sign up. Find another plan or method that suits you better.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Couldn't have said it better!

I tend to buy a countdown, usually 6 weekly, as this is slightly cheaper. You get 6 weeks for the price of 5 so it's not £5 per week.

I've often gone to other groups in my area when the usual time has not fitted into my schedule.

Sue

maybe if you want the answer to your question then it would be better to get in contact with slimming world themselves then they can give you the answer you need, but be prepared to wait a long time for a reply from an email or phone them

Back