Why the Scales Can Lie

SoonToBeGorgeous

Loving the Cambridge Diet
Found this on a low-carb forum - but the principles apply to us too.....may account for a small/zero loss followed by a huge loss, even when you're not doing anything different!

STALLS -- WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.
However, if you give those fat cells some time, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

Thank you for posting that - I love the science bit (because I'm worth it?!) and that is very reassuring for the many weeks and months ahead! :)

Well, little or no weight loss can be so frustrating and upsetting. We have all experienced it at some point along our journey.

I went about 9 days before Christmas with not even 1/4 oz loss on the scales - but dropped 2" from my waist, 2" from my hips and 2" from my hips!! Very strange!

I keep having funny thoughts about where the fat actually goes.... I have visions of imaginary fat cells wafting above my head as they leave my area forever :cool::cool::cool:....

Lol! I keep imagining that the sewers must be full of gigonormous creatures who live off all those fat cells we must wee away! Hope my plumbing can cope with all these fat cells that will be disappearing! lol! :p

Lol! I keep imagining that the sewers must be full of gigonormous creatures who live off all those fat cells we must wee away! Hope my plumbing can cope with all these fat cells that will be disappearing! lol! :p

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww lard encrusted sewer pipes all over the place, that vegitate into a giant lard monster....

Is it odd that even though I have never studied physics or biology I actually knew this!!??!

Great post though, hopefully will help others if they feel they are doing everything right with no results.

That's really helpful to know, thanks for posting it :D

Helpful post, thanks! Will be keeping my chin up in the future cos those stalls are inevitable!:D

thnx for posting STBG! Made sense to me.. and wil come in hand when I experience the not losing period on the diet!!

Thanks for that, I'm having a slow week this week....Grrrr at those fat cells, give that water up or else you nasty things....

Back