why why why?? advice needed please

Phoenix101

I have been 100% this week and had a peek on the scales this morning and have not lost any weight! (official weigh in on Monday). Has anyone any experience of weight loss plateaus and how to break them? I am drinking enough water and bowels ok. I have had a cold (no cold remedies taken) but funnily enough took my temperature for a couple of days and it seems on the low side of normal (36 degrees). Does this mean my metabolism has slowed down and does anyone have any tips on how to get it going again? I am already exercising 40 minutes a day with vigorous swimming. Will it start again if I keep going? Never used a vlcd before and this is coming to the end of my 7th week. So far my weight loss has been consistent.:confused: Sorry for all the questions but it is difficult putting all this effort in a not seeing any result. Also for the last few days my ketostix have shown a negative result..maybe my body is going into hibernation??????

morning, I am sure that one of the more experienced guys will answer this question for you, however all your hard work has paid off so far, the say its about a stone a month and you are already well ahead of that :), i don't think you would get those results else where. I am sure that it all balances out. Keep it up, you are doing amazing and i am sure that you must be able to see the difference in your baggy clothes. :)

I'm not on your diet but I'm a bugger for sneaky weigh ins, learned my lesson once & for all this week though when 2 days ago I looked like I'd only lost 0.1kg. Was gutted but for the first time ever on a diet didn't turn to food & when I weighed in this morning I'd lost 1.5kg. Lesson learned not to weigh in early. You still have 2 days, hope you find the same x

hey hun dont get disheartened , you have lost 30lb in 6 weeks .. thats amazing . Sometime we all have a STS .. then drop 3-4 lb overnight and have a great loss the next week :D something as simple as having a cold could make your body hang onto extra water , try not to worry about it ( I know this is impossible !!!) and keep going and I promise the scales will please you next week xxx

Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies and so prompt too (we are all earlybirds!!!) It just gets so frustrating when you know that you have been following the rules and nothing is happening. I should be reminding myself about how fast the weight has come off already and expect slow down from time to time. I suppose that I have got used to steady decline and didn't mentally prepare myself about how I would feel when there is a stall in the process. Maybe having this heavy cold is making my body hold on to a bit of water so I'll just try to keep on going and not be disheartened. I will try to refocus on what I have lost and keep going. I didn't put this weight on in 7 weeks so I can't expect it to fall off overnight! It's great having these forums to get support from as my family are sick and tired of listening to me and my daily battle. I had been bargaining with myself from 6am this morning that I would just eat as an experiment to see if that would kick start it all again but I can now see that it could be a rocky and dangerous path to go down. Keep on going everone...hopefully Monday will see something on the weight loss front :):):)

please don't dispair and you are not alone with your sts. I didn't lose any weight in my 2nd week, lost week 3 & 4 then no loss again week 5. Sometimes it is just your body's way of playing catchup with the weight you have lost. I am happy with my total loss in the 5 weeks and you have done really well too, well above the average loss. Just continue what you are doing and the scales will move again next week, don't dispair and don't be tempted to wander off the diet. Good luck x

Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies and so prompt too (we are all earlybirds!!!) It just gets so frustrating when you know that you have been following the rules and nothing is happening. I should be reminding myself about how fast the weight has come off already and expect slow down from time to time. I suppose that I have got used to steady decline and didn't mentally prepare myself about how I would feel when there is a stall in the process. Maybe having this heavy cold is making my body hold on to a bit of water so I'll just try to keep on going and not be disheartened. I will try to refocus on what I have lost and keep going. I didn't put this weight on in 7 weeks so I can't expect it to fall off overnight! It's great having these forums to get support from as my family are sick and tired of listening to me and my daily battle. I had been bargaining with myself from 6am this morning that I would just eat as an experiment to see if that would kick start it all again but I can now see that it could be a rocky and dangerous path to go down. Keep on going everone...hopefully Monday will see something on the weight loss front :):):)

Its great how everyone offers so much support, i agree. NOt many people know i am doing this so all i have is the new friends i have found on here, and you know what its just the way i like it sharing high's and low's with people who are treading the same path :).

Keep with it and well done not giving in to those sabotaging thought's this morning

Same here... I also weigh in on Mondays and as of yesterday the scales hadnt moved, sometimes your body just doesnt play ball but the weight will come off if you stick at it!

The reason these diets specify an expected loss of a stone per month is that weekly losses can fluctuate. Periods, water retention and just 'because' will all have an effect. But it'll all even out over the long term.
Just one observation though - when it comes to exercise, you shouldn't be doing any VIGOROUS exercise as you're not taking in the carbs to fuel it. Ease up on the heavy duty cardio (or perhaps have half a bar in advance) or your body will go into a tailspin not knowing what's happening. Our bodies are designed to survive and will do all sorts to ensure that happens - even sacrifice lean muscle mass in order to keep some fat reserves back if it perceives famine conditions. Maybe this could account for the blip?

Well done on your amazing achievement so far x

Thanks for all your positive posts and words of wisdom. It's great to know you are all here to give a pat on the back and a bit of motivation. Felt a serious wobble today but thought about everything and decided to crack on. I wore a dress today with a long sleeved t shirt underneath and didn't feel the need to cover myself with the comfort of a black cardigan over the top (of which, I have many). I need to think of how far you can go with exante and focus on what has already been achieved. Maybe I have been overdoing it on the exercise front so going to level down the exercise for a few days until the worst of this cold is over as it may be counterproductive. Will weigh in on Monday as usual and if I have stayed the same so be it.....:rolleyes:

Hi Phoenix, your loss so far is amazing, well done.
Ive been TS 100% apart from my AAM weeks and my losses been much lower, I just think of bigger picture when I know Ive been 100% and have a disappointing or low loss week.
For me been about having good feeling that Ive stuck to it and then just let my body catch up with me.
Good luck and just think of how far ahead you are on 14lbs per month anyway!

Hi Phoenix, your loss so far is amazing, well done.
Ive been TS 100% apart from my AAM weeks and my losses been much lower, I just think of bigger picture when I know Ive been 100% and have a disappointing or low loss week.
For me been about having good feeling that Ive stuck to it and then just let my body catch up with me.
Good luck and just think of how far ahead you are on 14lbs per month anyway!

Well done Dawn..it is good to see your weight loss is similar to mine and that you stayed the same halfway through your journey one week..gives me comfort to know that this is normal and not use it as an excuse to throw the towel in and ruin all my good work so far..you are not far off target. I am feeling so much more at peace with this now and giving myself a big kick up the bum to keep at it! :D

Hi Phoenix,
Definately stick with it, Im off on hols in a couple of weeks and honestly the pleasure of being able to wear my older smaller clothes...bloomin marvellous! Shallow???...errmmmm...yes!
Where you said at peace with it, definately thats how Ive felt all the way through, had the odd night where I could have eaten the arm off the sofa, but 99% been where Ive known what I was doing would eventually come up with results.
I think WW and SW that Ive done before when I didnt loose after being spot all on week, I was always gutted and it did demotivate me, the chats at the scales of...'what did you eat'...'lets look at your diary'....'oh yes, itll have been that 60 grammes of meat you ate'.....used to drive me mad. Thats why I love this ....eat a shake....wait for the loss idea.
Hey lets go for skinny minny ville for Christmas!!
Have a good week and when weight loss catches back up you'll be whooping!

Hi Phoenix,
Definately stick with it, Im off on hols in a couple of weeks and honestly the pleasure of being able to wear my older smaller clothes...bloomin marvellous! Shallow???...errmmmm...yes!
Where you said at peace with it, definately thats how Ive felt all the way through, had the odd night where I could have eaten the arm off the sofa, but 99% been where Ive known what I was doing would eventually come up with results.
I think WW and SW that Ive done before when I didnt loose after being spot all on week, I was always gutted and it did demotivate me, the chats at the scales of...'what did you eat'...'lets look at your diary'....'oh yes, itll have been that 60 grammes of meat you ate'.....used to drive me mad. Thats why I love this ....eat a shake....wait for the loss idea.
Hey lets go for skinny minny ville for Christmas!!
Have a good week and when weight loss catches back up you'll be whooping!

Skinny minnies...love it! Roll on Christmas!!!

Thanks for all your positive posts and words of wisdom. It's great to know you are all here to give a pat on the back and a bit of motivation. Felt a serious wobble today but thought about everything and decided to crack on. I wore a dress today with a long sleeved t shirt underneath and didn't feel the need to cover myself with the comfort of a black cardigan over the top (of which, I have many). I need to think of how far you can go with exante and focus on what has already been achieved. Maybe I have been overdoing it on the exercise front so going to level down the exercise for a few days until the worst of this cold is over as it may be counterproductive. Will weigh in on Monday as usual and if I have stayed the same so be it.....:rolleyes:

You are doing amazing, leave those cardigan's in the wardrobe ;)

Hi Phoenix, how you doing? Am off on holiday in a week, bit scary being exposed to food again! Hoping to only have to do another month when am back.
Hope you coping ok still! have good rest of week!

Hi Dawn...confession time...I fell off the exante wagon for the last two days...very demotivated about the slow weight loss over the last 2 weeks and guess what..yes...I ate :( Not that it all descended into a binge fest but I felt a bit sorry for myself. That's the bad news..now the good..I have shaken it off and put it bed (so to speak) and feel motivated to get back on that exante train. It doesn't help that I am off this week and my usual routine had been disrupted but I am going to get up and go for my morning swim and feeling much more determined now. Unfortunately I am going to have to go through the first few difficult days again to get into ketosis but thats the way it goes. Hope you are doing ok. I'll check in tomorrow and let you know how its going. :):) I am not going to let this beat me!!!

Hi Phoenix, Great that you back on wagon! Hey 2 days in this process is nothing!! Its the bit beating ourselves up that is worse than any gain!
Reached big thing for me today, got to 11stones, so only a stone and I could be at normal BMI, how crazy would that be! So going to try for that last stone when back off hols. Wasnt bothered about being 10 stone, but golly so close I could touch it!!
So effectively 7 weeks to Xmas, hows about a countdown together, Darcy back off hols soon and bet she'll be up for it too. Even if its slow, not bothered just want to see the downward direction!!
Good luck rest of week Phoenix, 34lbs so far is bloomin marvellous!!

Fantastic loss Dawn. It must feel brilliant to be going on hols feeling so good about the losses..you will definitely notice the difference when you are away. I am feeling the motivation kicking back in now and a christmas challenge would be perfect incentive. Let's go for it!! Have a wonderful holiday and we can update when you get back. You are so close to your target it must feel so good!!:D

Back