Will be off SW for a while

peggypig

Silver Member
Ive been unemployed since January knowing I will run out of money totally some time, well that time has arrived and Im properly skint. Im going to try to keep with lean meat and veg as much as possible. Buying fruit like I did is out its expensive when buying a lot of it like I did.

I do know the cheapest way too eat and buy stuff but its not cheap enough Im afraid. I get 67.50 a week and 25.00 of that belongs to the council tax man. Whoever says people on benefits live the high well they dont,not with out a load of kids anyway.

Im hopeful something will turn up chin up and all that:D

Oh hunny. I am sorry that you are going through this, and it's def the case that SW is not the cheapest option for loosing weight. Maybe you could cut your costs on healthy eating by doing some veggies type meals? Bulk out with cheap lentils or pasta? Not necessarily SW friendly, but better than rubbish food? After all, beans on toast or egg on toast can fill you up & be really cheap.

Hope you manage to sort out the job situation xxx

So sorry you are going through this. Try talking with your consultant and explain the situation and she will hopefully still be there for you and you can weigh in yourself at home. Good luck x

I'm sorry too, we are so strapped too. I honestly would stick to plan green days. It's so cheap, and whilst all else gets you down, you'll be proud to have achieved something :) lentils, beans, pasta, pulses, market sack spuds £4/5 lasts us 4 weeks! Lidl etc. I do mainly green because of cost and I love them. X

Oh poor you - tough times indeed xx I'm sure you'll do your very best to stick to SW principles, you've done so well it must be a 'way of life' by now up to a point so I don't doubt you'll still make sensible choices. Hope things pick up soon.

It is a way of life and I dont think I could go back to bad ways. Just my choices are going to be limited for a while.

Thanks for everyones kind words

I was having a similar chat with my daughter the other day about the lack of money, I think she forgets me & her dad lived from hand to mouth when they were younger (we're by no means rolling in it now, but it's easier), so we can all sympathise & know how hard it is when so little money is coming in.

As the others have said if you can stick to green days it will be cheaper, we buy a big bag of pasta (3kg)from Asda & I'm sure it's less than £5.

I hope the job situation improves soon, don't forget to still come on here & let us know how things are going.

Just as a quick aside (I don't mean to pry so tell me to butt out if you don't want to say) If you are on JSA then you shouldn't be paying council tax should you? Even if its arrears then they shouldn't be taking that much from you. I'd suggest talking to the Citizens Advince Bureau on that one.

kingleds said:
Just as a quick aside (I don't mean to pry so tell me to butt out if you don't want to say) If you are on JSA then you shouldn't be paying council tax should you? Even if its arrears then they shouldn't be taking that much from you. I'd suggest talking to the Citizens Advince Bureau on that one.

We had to pay it when Mr lost his job suddenly years ago. They told e some nonsense about if you've started paying for a year, you have to pay for the whole year whether earning or not. It's disgusting to take food and gas money off a parent for CT :( my Mother couldn't believe it when I tried explain, and she had worked at council offices all her life. So maybe that's still the case, but I would take it CAB get that reduced to £1 week :)

Oh so sorry to hear this, life sucks a**e big time, I hope you get through this rough patch. Have you tried applying for Child tax benefit and child benefit?

Calorie counting is great if you have not a lot of money, at least doing that you have some sort of control of your diet. Plus walking is free as well :)

Also try shopping just before closing so you get the reduced prices on fruit and veg xx

I have to pay full council tax my husband works he doesnt earn a fortune just covers bills and runs his car for work. You only get any help if you are single or have kids ours are grown up and dont live with us. Thanks for the suggestions I will still come on here to see how everyone is doing.

I thought you got the 75% rate? When I wasn't working and there were only 2 of us in the flat you got a 25% discount, or have they stopped that now? It was only a year ago I used to get that discount I think.

Sorry to hear times are tough :bighug:

It is really tough to eat healthily on a budget but it's certainly not impossible just requires bit of planning and as others say stick to green days.

I've been off work injured for 5 months now so know what's its like to really struggle financially.

Dried pulses are so cheap and go really far, more effort than canned as they require soaking overnight but cost pennies per serving.

For fruit and veg I mostly switched to frozen- farm foods or Iceland have pretty good selection and they are all £1 a bag. Bonus it's all chopped up for you and no waste as you use exactly what you need.

Grated carrot helps bulk out dishes very cheaply.

Replace expensive extra lean mince with quorn or soya mince.

Value range passata and chopped tomatoes are your best friends. A decent herb / spice collection can turn them into anything!

I still have my treats too for syns but only buy things that are a pound or less for a multipack so try pound shops or special offers in supermarkets.

For cheap breakfasts I like Asda smartprice branflakes only 77p for massive box or porridge oats are so cheap as long as you stay away from the oat so simple type stuff and just make your own :)

Hope some of this helps don't be too disheartened its hard but not impossible! X

Back