Will giving up the beer help?

Debridger

Getting back to Target
Morning all...... for those that don't know me..... I'm a beer drinker! - not in a problematic way, just socially, but socially used to be maybe 3 times a week.

Since joining SW in January, I've now lost 2 stone :D and have reduced my beer consumption dramatically.... always kept within my syns (except for special occasions ( my birthday and a family weekend party) and business trips/holidays, all of which were planned.

I WI on a Thursday evening, and generally now go out on a Friday, drink 40-60 syns, and have none, or 1 or 2 syns here and there between Saturday and WI - keeping within 80 syns per week.
Most weeks, if I go out again, I drink diet coke, or if I've had less on a Friday, I maybe have 10-20 syns on a Wednesday if I'm still within my allowance.

Generally, Friday & Wednesdays are nights out... occasionally on a Sunday lunch - all pub visits, and from time to time I'll have a few beers after WI if I'm at a friends and not driving.

The last couple of months have been lose a 1lb, put on a 1lb, lose 0.5lb, put on 0.5lb..... you get my drift, I'm still overall down, and as of WI last night, I'm at my lowest weight so far, so not all bad, but I'm wondering if stopping drinking, and using my syns daily instead of weekly might benefit?

So.... I'm going to challenge myself not to drink for a couple of weeks or so -
I enjoy a social drink, and would miss it if I gave up entirely (I think)... but have decided for now that I will not have an alcoholic drink for the rest of August.... OK it's only a fortnight, but it's a start!!!

I've not had one since Sunday anyway, and had diet coke on Wednesday when we went out.

Has anyone else found that giving-up has helped, or doesn't make any difference iif it's within your allowance anyway?

So... that's it.. lots of waffling ;)

Day 1 today

Deb x

Hi,
Don't worry about the waffling. I do it all the time!!

A lady in my group has given up alcohol for 6 of the last weeks and has lost over 1.5 stone since. Always worth a shot. Not something I want to do myself anytime soon but I only have 4 or 5 on a Saturday night on average. (OMG, How old do I sound!?!)

Switching to spirits and a diet mixer may help? Or I think Holsten Pils might be lower syns than any other. (I have no idea really, I just remember that one from when I was at WW on the dark side!)

I'm not having any alcohol this weekend although I went without before and lost a whole 0.5lb in that week and 1.5lbs the week after when I had LOADS!

Try it for the rest of the month and report back. I want to know how you get on.

i used to drink beer every night till i joined sw. now if i go out i have rum and diet coke and i syn it. i found by swopping has helpped me alot. i now only drink once a week and i keep control of that : )

I like my beer but since starting SW it's something ive knocked on the head for a couple of weekends. I know from past dieting experience that not drinking at a weekend has helped me loose the weight.
I find beer bloats me for a good 3 or 4 days to.

If only we could have a syn free beer.

Isn't there a 1.5 syn beer from Sainsbury's?

Maybe give it a go and use your syns daily on other things may help.

Good Luck hun, I don't drink beer so have no idea. Well done on your loss so far!! XX

I used to be a drinker, but gave up when hangovers got too bad lol!! (not that I would drink that often anyway)
Now I'm more than happy to drink pints of either soda water or diet coke and I'm still being sociable. I dont feel the need to drink to enjoy myself and still have a giggle with my friends. Vodka is low in syns if you feel the need to have a drink when you're out. Also I was told many years ago that banking syns or having them in one go and not having any for the rest of the week will not help with your losses at all.

i have only had one weekend out since i started SW, and i stopped counting the syns at 40 that nite, and still managed to loose 2lbs,

well, must admit, apart from liking beer, when I have tried shorts with mixers.... they just disappear :confused:

I have tried the becks blue.... and actually it's pretty good, and only 3 syns...

It is a bit weird, I did have one week where I didn't drink, and had an OKish loss, then I've had weeks where I've drunk shed-loads, and lost more ---- but strangest of all, as I said, last few weeks...couple moving here and there, on and off... and last weekend I drank so, so much, pints Saturday & Sunday and probably into double figures.... and I lost 3lb????? and I still ate syns, just counted Sat & Sun off plan.

Maybe banking my syns isn't doing me a world of good now, and possibly OK to start with, but is catching up.....
I think I'm a bit of an all or nothing type of girl, and wouldn't really go with 1 beer a day, so think I'll knock it on the head and see what happens...

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted

Morning all...... for those that don't know me..... I'm a beer drinker! - not in a problematic way, just socially, but socially used to be maybe 3 times a week.

Since joining SW in January, I've now lost 2 stone :D and have reduced my beer consumption dramatically.... always kept within my syns (except for special occasions ( my birthday and a family weekend party) and business trips/holidays, all of which were planned.

I WI on a Thursday evening, and generally now go out on a Friday, drink 40-60 syns, and have none, or 1 or 2 syns here and there between Saturday and WI - keeping within 80 syns per week.
Most weeks, if I go out again, I drink diet coke, or if I've had less on a Friday, I maybe have 10-20 syns on a Wednesday if I'm still within my allowance.

Generally, Friday & Wednesdays are nights out... occasionally on a Sunday lunch - all pub visits, and from time to time I'll have a few beers after WI if I'm at a friends and not driving.

The last couple of months have been lose a 1lb, put on a 1lb, lose 0.5lb, put on 0.5lb..... you get my drift, I'm still overall down, and as of WI last night, I'm at my lowest weight so far, so not all bad, but I'm wondering if stopping drinking, and using my syns daily instead of weekly might benefit?

So.... I'm going to challenge myself not to drink for a couple of weeks or so -
I enjoy a social drink, and would miss it if I gave up entirely (I think)... but have decided for now that I will not have an alcoholic drink for the rest of August.... OK it's only a fortnight, but it's a start!!!

I've not had one since Sunday anyway, and had diet coke on Wednesday when we went out.

Has anyone else found that giving-up has helped, or doesn't make any difference iif it's within your allowance anyway?

So... that's it.. lots of waffling ;)

Day 1 today

Deb x

I've had the grand total of 3.5 pints since November 29th 2009. Actually all 3.5 pints have been since mid May! - guess tht makes me a binge drinker lol.

I'll let you decide whether it has helped or not;)

I am going to Scotland for a week on Thursday...so i will let you all know what damage the beer (and food!!) does when i get back!! :break_diet:

Hope you have a fantastic time... deep fried mars anyone?? :p

ahh cheers :)...i have never tried that little dish now....but any idea how many syns....in case i do...;)

It'snot always the week that's been but the week before, I have to think back to the previous week to see how I\ve done!

Well, while I totally agree that cutting back on alcohol helps I am so glad that not all our customers are like us lot. Especially as I we are having a beer festival this weekend at the pub!:D
:beer8:

It's odd, the couple of times I've stopped, I've either STS or put on??? it's weird - gonna leave it till next WI (Thurs 1st) and if no change... I'm going back to the beer.

Last week I had a great loss - 3lb, which included 2days off plan, so maybe it's a catch-up..... I'm not giving in, so hope to see it next week :fingerscrossed:

It doesn't seem logical does it as beer is so high in calories and to drink into double figures of pints for 2 days:eek: and still lose is illogical.....but if it works for you go for it.
A pint of beer is about 182 calories.
Of course depending on which one you drink...................

Interesting thread Deb,

I agree with the others that my first reaction is to cut back on the booze and you should lose weight (not that I've managed to cut back at all, but I suspect it would work :) )

But...you were using syns and haven't been going over the weekly limit so in theory switching from beer to food shouldn't matter.

Crazy as it sounds...do you think you're eating enough now with switching the syns to food?

Back