Will Gym affect weight loss?

Babysham80

I've just done my first week gymming and swimming and wondered if it will adversly affect my weight loss for the week..? Any one else find they lost or gained more that 1st week?

I sts for the entire month i gymmed and aerobics classed..

:O lost 3 lbs the week i stopped haha.

I know staceyUK goes and found her losses wernt affected first month or so but has deffinatly benifited from it now, i suspect mine would have too if i'd stuck it out!

Hi
I got back on track with my weight loss by restarting healthy eating and exercise on the 7th June. I was asking myself the same question and it's been fine. I've done cardio and weight training every morning and I've lost 1/2 stone in 2 weeks.

I did a bit of research about it online and read that initially people can see a small weight gain when they first start exercising as your muscles build (the weight more per square inch apparently). The weight training has really begun to tone me up and shows on the tape measure too. I can comfortably fit into my trousers now and even put my hands in the pockets whereas 2 weeks ago they were bursting at the seams.

If it's the number on the scales that is important you might see a slight rise depending on how much exercise you've done. But I think if you keep up the exercise you'll quickly see a difference in inch loss. Are you doing any weights/resistance training at the gym? I whole heartedly recommend it as you get a much better result and your body shape changes almost immediately.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your weigh in.

Not doing weights, just doing the cv machines 3 times a week and swimming for an hour 4 times a week, and 1/2 a stone in 2 weeks is amazing! congrats
Lol @ Fern - how long did u stick it out?

HI, I was wondering the same! I asked an instructer at the gym and he said that I would probably notice i'm getting slimmer by the way my clothes fit first. As Tracey1000 explained your muscles are built, also bones become denser (a good thing means they are stronger!). I go 2-3 times a week to have a break from the kids!! I Have definately noticed i'm getting fitter, and my body seems abit more 'defined'!

Katie :)

Well, I read somewhere it takes 21 days to form a habit. So I'm thinking by the 3rd week (around end of June) I'll be thinking this lifestyle is my 'new habit' if you get my drift? I've got a long way to go but I have to say since drastically reducing my carbs I don't get the cravings anymore and it's no effort to just eat sensibly. In fact, I sometimes have to remind myself to eat now and I've got to get use to that real feeling of hunger whereas before I just basically ate whenever I felt like it and even if I wasn't hungry.

How did you get on with your weigh in?

The most important thing to remember is any weight gain due to exercise will not be due to you putting on extra fat. Exercise doesn't create fat and ultimately we are all trying to lose fat only. If we increase our muscle, then it's even better as more muscle burns more calories. Never stop exercising because of what the scales say and the benefits of exercise are endless.

As I don't go to class at the moment, I've decided NOT to weigh myself. I'll know I'm at target when my clothes (not the emergency cheap ones I had to buy when I couldn't do the others up any more, the nice ones!!) fit comfortably again. THEN I might weigh myself to see what that weight is.

I joined a gym 10 days ago, and have been swimming 4 or 5 times, and done Step (hmmm), Dance Fit (excellent) and two Zumba classes (fantastic). I was going to do a class yesterday as well, but it'd report writing time, so time was limited. :(

I'm really enjoying it - but already wondering how long before I start seeing the benefits. Strangely, it seems to keep me n the SW straight and narrow too.

I lost 2lbs this week after 1st week of exercise, so glad I didnt gain, no matter how many times you tell yourself it isnt a fat gain you still feel gutted! Other half sts and was sulking most of today!

Also, muscle isn't exactly easy to build. It's practically a full time job for men trying to bulk, and girls have far less testosterone to build muscle.

To build muscle anyway you need more calories than you burn, to support the muscle growth. Unlikely on a diet.

If you gain weight, it is more likely to be from overcompensating when you get back from exercising.

I only weigh myself once a month as instructed by my Personal Trainer, sports psychology is that you can become obsessed by the scales (and I was). I know that I am eating healthy food and exercising. My clothes are looser, and my wobbly bits are firming up.

So you are doing a great job and the combination of exercise and good eating is a GOOD thing.

Back