Will I lose as much weight by NOT going into ketosis?

Dowd

I'll be honest, I'm not sure, other than suppressing hunger, what effect ketosis has on the weightloss.

I enjoy the exante food, but because of the lifestyle I lead I sometimes (too often to be honest) find it difficult getting all 3 meals in (Total solution).

I often buy the Tesco Ultraslim bars as a replacement for the exante bars, and I'd find it MUCH easier getting in 3 bars a day as I can eat them on the go, unlike soups/shakes.

The bars contain 22.4g of carbs each, so over the day that's 67.2 grams of carbs if I have 3 per day. I'm guessing that may be too much for me to get into or stay in ketosis.

So...as the title says, is ketosis necessary? Will the weight loss be slower if I don't go into ketosis but eat roughly the same number of calories?

I'm no expert, but I think you might feel more hungry if you are not in ketosis.

from memory of reading atkins when i did it years and years ago going into ketosis means you're burning fat and thus losing weight quicker so yes i think it will be a slower loss if you're not in ketosis
having said that i think 60g of carbs may put you in ketosis- i don't have a shake to hand but how many g of carbs are in each shake?

from memory of reading atkins when i did it years and years ago going into ketosis means you're burning fat and thus losing weight quicker so yes i think it will be a slower loss if you're not in ketosis
having said that i think 60g of carbs may put you in ketosis- i don't have a shake to hand but how many g of carbs are in each shake?

The shakes and soups tend to have 20g of carbs give or take half a gram.

Most vlcds put you mild ketosis so it makes very little difference to the amount of fat you burn. It is the very low calories that make you lose fat weight on a vlcd. Not being in ketosis though does make you really hungry. I stupidly tried it a few weeks back and was nearly crying with hunger. Also not being in ketosis means you have a glycogen store which means you weigh more because of the water that is stored with it. This is not fat weight so shouldn't worry you. People go into ketosis at slightly different levels of carbs but about 60 is right give or take. Probably the best thing to do is test it out for yourself.

Back