Will I lose weight during Maintenance??

MissPiggynomore

just wants to be slim
I'm trying to decide when I need to start maintenance as according to some people, including my CDC, there will still be a weight loss during maintenance, although more slowly. Some people on here have suggested they didn't lose any more weight one they started maintenance. I'm keen to hear about your experiences to get a rough idea of what sort of loss, if any, to expect during maintenance. My goal is around 10 stone so I'm thinking that I might start maintenance at 10.7 in the hope that I will lose the further 7lbs through a 6 week maintenance plan......or do you think I should stay on SS until I'm closer to 10 stone. Any advice appreciated. Thanks :D

Hi

If your ticker and stats are correct then you'll have to start moving up the plans before you get to 10st 7 anyway as you're not allowed to SS when your BMI is below 25. It's important you don't SS below BMI25 because although you'll probably still get good losses on the scales a much higher proportion of your loss will come from lean mass instead of fat. This in turn lower your metabolism so you'll find it much harder when you come to maintaining.

I lost around 2lb a week on the 810 step (which you're allowed to do up to BMI 20 I think) and a lb or so a week on the higher plans with carbs - I was exercising though.

HTH :)

Thanks for that Serena. I didn't realise you can't do SS when your BMI is under 25. I just worked it out at I have another 5lbs do go then I'll be under. I'm almost disappointed bcoz I want to keep on losing weight quickly, but then I'm slightly excited that I can actually start eating food again! I'll step my exercise up when I come off SS. I get to the gym twice a week at the minute, mainly bcoz I don't have the energy to go more. I was spinning 3 times a week and doing weights before I started the CD on SS, I reckon if I did spinning at the minute I'd pass out.

You look great by the way! How long did it take you to achieve that?

I had my WI today and spoke to my CDC about this and she says I can continue with SS under BMI 25. She said that bcoz I started on SS with a higher BMI then it's ok to continue once I get below and that it's only people starting the diet below BMI 25 that can't do SS. Don't know whether different CDCs advise differently....

Youll still lose weight and it will get slower as you near goal. Maintenance is the imortant bit though so dont be scared to get going, take your time and you'll find it much easier when you get to goal. Remember goal isnt an good if you get there and pile a stone back on within a month.

I've yo-yo dieted loads and always put weight back on (and more) so I'm determined to maintain properly this time, and I know that means doing the plan properly. It's so easy to be tempted by that chocolate muffin once you look and feel good and before you know it all you hard work has gone and you're back to square 1!!!

You've lost 40%, wow, well done. Can't wait until I reach goal and can eat normally again! It's actually all the healthy stuff I'm craving, like chicken and fish and salads (and of course some naughty foods too haha)

I had my WI today and spoke to my CDC about this and she says I can continue with SS under BMI 25. She said that bcoz I started on SS with a higher BMI then it's ok to continue once I get below and that it's only people starting the diet below BMI 25 that can't do SS. Don't know whether different CDCs advise differently....

That is incorrect. You should not do SS or SS+ with a BMI of 25 or lower regardless of what weight you were at the beginning.

As for losing during the steps. I didn't, but many do :)

Its odd, I started going up the plans with 3 stone to lose, was still doing 3lbs a week on 1000, then 1.5 on 1200 now i'm doing 1500 its about 4lbs a month which is fine by me, thing is as you get lighter your required calories will get lower, important here too up your exercise.
Think you'll find as you move onto higher plans it feels less and less like you are dieting so the idea of continuing the plan while losing slowly isnt such a problem.
Good luck and be patient. :)

Oh right.....aarrgghh. Everyone says differently. My CDC said that she did SS until she had a BMI of 21/22. I will have a BMI of 25 when I drop another 3lbs, and I only actually want to lose another 5-7 after that before I start trying to maintain (and hopefully lose the last few pounds). I go to the gym 3 times a week so hopefully wont start losing muscle, maybe I could eat a little bit of chicken on SS after training to make sure my body doesn't eat into muscle for protein...

Thanks badger. I'm impatient I know. I think because I don't have loads to lose and know I can get it off quickly I want it all gone yesterday coz I have so many nice clothes Ive not been able to fit into for a few years I really want to wear them this year! I do want to make sure it stays off this time too. I'm actually looking forward to stepping up my exercise again, I started back at the gym 4 times per week before doing CD but haven't had the energy since I've done SS. As soon as I'm eating again when I move up the plans I'll up te exercise again.

Well this is a very interesting read for me as I have been under BMI 25 for a week now and my CDC rekons I am still fine on SS :(, I have been thinking in starting to go up the plans though so now I know is not safe to do SS anymore I will move up and start a week of 810. Yay I am excited at the thought, off to check the 810 meal ideas thread:D THANK YOU

I think you need to do a week or 2 of SS+ before going up to 810 as that's the next step.....or that's what I'm expecting to do anyway! Well done and good luck :)

Btw that was just the way I did it, not saying its the only way. We thought we'd take a while as i'd lost such a lot and needed to do a lot of food work
However you definately should not be on ss/ss+ when your bmi is under 25. Its actually dangerous as there isnt enough fat left in your body to use for fuel.

If you saw my thighs and ass you'd take those words back! haha I know what you mean though. Thanks

Its odd, I started going up the plans with 3 stone to lose, was still doing 3lbs a week on 1000, then 1.5 on 1200 now i'm doing 1500 its about 4lbs a month

A couple of differences though. One, you're a bloke ;) Metabolism higher, and more inclined to raise quickly when adding food. Ladies metabolisms respond slower when going up the plans.

Also, you stayed on the levels for longer than normal. I'm pretty sure that if I stayed at each plan for more than the two weeks, the scales would have started showing a loss. But I didn't want a loss, so I just did the minimum and very thankful that I didn't gain :D

Im not sure if you need to do the SS+ step before 810 but Im going to do that to, 810 can feel like alot of food when you've not been eating! During my 810 week I split the meal to have something at lunch and tea, really found this helped. (gained during my 810 week but this was more than likely the mini binge I had the night before WI )

Us ladies get the raw end of the deal when it comes to a lot of things don't we!! haha. If my ex hubby had been the one giving birth I swear I'd not be living on poxy shakes for weeks trying to look good! :)
I'm so scared of not losing on maintenance, I'm going to move in at the gym I think and live on the spinning bike! Luckily I do get pretty muscley with little effort so if I train hard that should give my metabolism a good boost when I'm eating again.

Angela, I've found having one of the choc orange or peanut bars in the house helps me if I feel I need to be naughty. I keep it in the fridge so it's really chewy and just have half and it really takes the edge off any cravings. I try and have a walk or do some extra activity so I burn the extra cals off, although in reality an extra 70 cals once or twice a week isn't going to affect your WI :)

Just read my booklet and decided I will start SS+ I forgot all about the plus stage:ashamed0005: , do you think one week one each plan would be sufficient or should I do 2 weeks of each one? Sorry to have hijacked your thread Miss P.

Back