Will my crash diet kill me? Channel 4

It was on Channel 4 so I guess you may catch it on 4OD or maybe More 4. It's on again next week - they're doing the Dukan diet, Lighter Life and something else I think. They mentioned the hair loss side effect last night - there was a fairly horrifying picture of someone virtually bald but they did say that was an extreme example!

I really enjoyed that programme there will be some more I will be watching them.Interesting how other people do things.

judimac said:
The thing that stood out for me was the cost :eek: I reckon SW comes in at half the price. I wasn't impressed by the counsellor either. Maybe she was nervous, but she didn't seem that confident as to her answers. And I wouldn't want either extreme constipation, "take a laxative" or the trots, "if you want to pass wind don't do it till you get to the toilet"!!
Are you by any chance a counsellor Starlight?

The cost isn't much though I pay £100 a month and thats ALL my 'food' for the month so at £25 a week it's cheaper than what I was spending on WW

The VLCD wasn't the one which gave the runs either.

No judi I'm not I'm merely someone following a very successful VLCD. And like others just putting right some misinformation something I'm sure you'd do if you saw someone on another forum making inaccurate statements about SW

Ellebear said:
Starlight - may i ask why you swapped from WW to a VLCD? x

I put a lot of weight back in in 2009 when I was off work with stress and then my dad died (see it happens on conventional diets too ;))

I decided I couldn't face the losses on WW and decided a VLCD was the only way I'd shift a lot quickly. I've so far lost just over 6 stones in 5 months and feel soooo much better. It was without doubt the best decision I could have made. I plan to go back to WW when I get nearer goal x

Last edited:
I don't reckon I could handle the temptation to go back to my usual eating habits after a VLCD. It must take an awful lot of self-discipline not to think 'hey, awesome, I'm a nice trim size 8, now I can eat again!!' But then again, if you've limited self-discipline like me then I suppose you wouldn't be able to handle a VLCD anyway. I work with a lady who's been doing one since before Christmas, she's done SO well and lost SO much, but I am astounded by her will-power - she even came out for the work Christmas meal purely for the company, and watched everyone else eat whilst she sat with a soda water.

I definitely think I'd be one of the people that would pile it all straight back on again - with SW I feel like I've earned every single half pound because it's taking so much time. Although, not eating 'real' food for however long would be much more difficult than eating SW style is, for me anyway.

Each to their own :)

I really enjoyed watching the program and found it both interesting and balanced. It even-handedly listed BOTH the pro's and the con's of each diet option and was really informative.

Why was the VLCD on a program about 'crash' diets? - I don't think that it was there in a negative sense (ie that it was faddy) but more in the 'you can lose quite a lot of weight, quite quickly' kind of way. If you could lose as much weight, in as short a space of time on either WW or SW, then either of these diets would probably have been used as an example also. The whole point of the program was about 'quick fix'.

I loved the fact that the 'diet professional' (because I can't remember if she was an actual Dr. or not) said that for ALL quick weight loss methods, it was actually the eating habits that you kept AFTER the initial loss (when you go back to eating 'normally' - whatever that is!) that mattered - for keeping the weight off.

It is the same for ALL DIETS. If you treat them as a short term solution to a long term problem, then you will almost certainly put the weight back on, no matter which route you choose.

As we all try to drum into new members of SW (and probably WW as well) this is NOT A DIET, IT IS A HEALTHY WAY OF EATING FOR LIFE. It doesn't matter if you lose your weight quickly (through a more restrictive diet) or over a longer period of time (through a regulation of food method), if you go back to your previous way of eating, and don't educate yourself into healthy choices and options, you'll get back to the weight you were.

We all have the same destination in mind - a lighter, healthier us. Some people get there via the scenic route, some use a more direct route, and some people fly there. It's what happens when we arrive, that determines how long we stay there....

I also watched the programme. I have been on CD plan in the past and lost a fair bit of weight. I had to stop for health reasons and put it all back on and more. It wasn't CD fault though, it was because I didn't go through the plans through to maintenance. CD and other replacement diets do work for a lot people and they do keep it off- you only have to look around here to see the success stories. Unfortunately it wasn't for me though. Although I have to say im doing really well at the moment with slimming world and have had a couple of good losses. x

The thing that stood out for me was the cost :eek: I reckon SW comes in at half the price.

I find SW quite costly for food...I'd love to be spending £25 a week, I spend that just on fruit, veg and yogurts! I counted up the shopping list in the latest magazine for the weekly planner and it came to approx £90...like any one could afford that, was quite shocked!

Starlight said:
I put a lot of weight back in in 2009 when I was off work with stress and then my dad died (see it happens on conventional diets too ;))

I decided I couldn't face the losses on WW and decided a VLCD was the only way I'd shift a lot quickly. I've so far lost just over 6 stones in 5 months and feel soooo much better. It was without doubt the best decision I could have made. I plan to go back to WW when I get nearer goal x

Thanks for sharing x good luck with the switch back when you go back to ww xx

Back