Willpower, where did you go?

laurenmay

Gold Member
I don't understand what's changed within me over the past few months. My willpower, strength, determination and ability to say NO have just vanished..

How can I so badly want to lose weight and slim down, yet I can't find the strength to say no to the food?

In the past, when I've set my mind to something I've ALWAYS achieved it and fought for my goal. I used to diet constantly, and never caved in, even though at times I did want to. I always found the will to say no, and stick with it because I wanted the end result a hell of a lot more than I wanted the food..

And it's the same now, I want the end result and I want to be slim again a MILLION times more than I want all the food! But something inside me feels so weak, and I continuously keep boycotting the gym and caving in to food, and all the bad foods too.

I'm wondering if it's because I've got two stone to lose, and I just feel like its gonna take forever so I don't have the patience to wait and stick to plan. I don't know. I just need help and a push in the right direction, and the strength to turn the food away!

- sent from my iPhone. "No one said it would be easy, they just said it'd be worth it.."

At least you only have 2 to loose - I have 4. Feel exactly the same though, and with the summer coming I just want to be indoors hiding away!

That's how I feel, the weather is getting nicer and I'm in no way fit to dress in summer clothes, and I just wish I could quit work and quit everything for a few months just to work my butt off and lose this weight!!

- sent from my iPhone. "No one said it would be easy, they just said it'd be worth it.."

My thoughts exactly! I work in a school to make matters worse! I know its my own fault i ended up here - only I can change it. One day at a time.

I'm trying to take things one day at a time, but I'm such an impatient person that I feel like I can't be bothered to wait and I know it's gonna be a long wait too till I lose all the weight, and that just puts me on a downer and makes me wanna give up! :(

Baby_Cakes said:
At least you only have 2 to loose - I have 4. Feel exactly the same though, and with the summer coming I just want to be indoors hiding away!

Lol, I was just thinking the same thing -"2 stone? Jammy devil!"; mine was 10, now 5.

Seriously though, if you do want to know the answers to the questions you posed about willpower, you need to address the issues around addictive overeating. I know I keep going on about this book on these forums, and I'm honestly not a friend of the author or on commission(!), but I've found Eating Less by Gillian Riley extremely interesting on that subject, and I'm hoping it will make a difference to me this time round, as I've ben yo-yo dieting for 30 years. xx

TracyGWill said:
Lol, I was just thinking the same thing -"2 stone? Jammy devil!"; mine was 10, now 5.

Seriously though, if you do want to know the answers to the questions you posed about willpower, you need to address the issues around addictive overeating. I know I keep going on about this book on these forums, and I'm honestly not a friend of the author or on commission(!), but I've found Eating Less by Gillian Riley extremely interesting on that subject, and I'm hoping it will make a difference to me this time round, as I've ben yo-yo dieting for 30 years. xx

I genuinely think the underlying issue to my over eating and binge eating is that I'm feeling sorry for myself. Even though it's my fault I've gained this weight, I still feel sorry for myself that I can't eat what I like and not worry about it or gain weight like some people can, and some days I just think oh screw it and that I'd rather eat and gain than deprive myself and be miserable! But I know that attitude is what's piling the pounds on me, and I need to quit feeling sorry for myself and grow up and adapt a healthy lifestyle. I'm not allowing the gym or exercise or dieting be optional anymore, if I tell my brain I HAVE to do it all just like I have to go to work even when I don't want to, then maybe it'll get me disciplined again! x

laurenmay said:
I genuinely think the underlying issue to my over eating and binge eating is that I'm feeling sorry for myself. Even though it's my fault I've gained this weight, I still feel sorry for myself that I can't eat what I like and not worry about it or gain weight like some people can, and some days I just think oh screw it and that I'd rather eat and gain than deprive myself and be miserable! But I know that attitude is what's piling the pounds on me, and I need to quit feeling sorry for myself and grow up and adapt a healthy lifestyle. I'm not allowing the gym or exercise or dieting be optional anymore, if I tell my brain I HAVE to do it all just like I have to go to work even when I don't want to, then maybe it'll get me disciplined again! x

You should DEFINITELY read that book, she addresses a lot of the issues you mention. It's available on Kindle if you've got a smart phone. xx

TracyGWill said:
You should DEFINITELY read that book, she addresses a lot of the issues you mention. It's available on Kindle if you've got a smart phone. xx

I've got an iPhone, but not sure if the kindle thing works on these? xx

laurenmay said:
I've got an iPhone, but not sure if the kindle thing works on these? xx

Absolutely, you just download the free Kindle app. xx

I have been thinking exactly the same...

A few years back I could commit to any diet I thought was good at the time, no matter how hard, nothing would break me.

Now I am struggling to get through 1 week without thinking "who cares, I might as well eat" and I don't know why :( because like you, I know I want to lose that weight more than anything, it's getting hot and I'm dreading going out in summer clothes :( And thinking of that depresses me which in turn makes me eat more... And so it goes.

Tonight I looked at myself in the mirror and was absolutely disgusted, not healthy so have decided yet again that tomorrow is the day - not sure how long it will last... Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

BrightonBetty said:
I have been thinking exactly the same...

A few years back I could commit to any diet I thought was good at the time, no matter how hard, nothing would break me.

Now I am struggling to get through 1 week without thinking "who cares, I might as well eat" and I don't know why :( because like you, I know I want to lose that weight more than anything, it's getting hot and I'm dreading going out in summer clothes :( And thinking of that depresses me which in turn makes me eat more... And so it goes.

Tonight I looked at myself in the mirror and was absolutely disgusted, not healthy so have decided yet again that tomorrow is the day - not sure how long it will last... Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Gosh, you are so not alone with your thinking. I do exactly the same. It's like you've written down how I feel. So we are not alone. I wish you all the best with your journey hun xx

Thank you! It is good to know we are not alone! We need to form our own little club and cheer one another up when things start getting bad! :) I am trying to keep on track today, made soup for lunch. I definitely know I am not hungry, just want to snack out of boredom. So trying to keep myself busy so I would not constantly think of what I could put in my mouth next. Hope you're ok!! xx

BrightonBetty said:
Thank you! It is good to know we are not alone! We need to form our own little club and cheer one another up when things start getting bad! :) I am trying to keep on track today, made soup for lunch. I definitely know I am not hungry, just want to snack out of boredom. So trying to keep myself busy so I would not constantly think of what I could put in my mouth next. Hope you're ok!! xx

Bless! Sounds like a good idea. I'm ok today thanks hun. My diary is in the calorie counting section and is called The Skinny Sia Diaries - I can do it! I used to be on slim and save. However I'm now doing calorie counting. Let me know how to find your diary xx

Back