WINTER STEW & DUMPLING

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
Winter Stew & Dumplings

For red days

Choose a selection of winter veg that are free on red days (e.g. swede, leeks, carrots, onions, butternut squash, celeriac etc) and peel and cut into cubes. Spray with frylight and roast in the oven until softened (about 20 – 30 mins).

Then put roasted veg in a slow cooker or stockpot with cubed, lean steak, add stock to cover and leave to cook.

Add garlic herbs if liked, Worcester sauce and seasoning to taste - you can even add a can of chopped tomatoes to change the flavour.
---------------------------------------------------------
For Green days:-

Dice potatoes, carrots, celery and parsnip, sweet potatoes etc.
Slice spring onion or leek
Add a pint of stock made with chicken Bovril and a handful of barley, split peas etc.
Boil until it is all cooked.
If you cook the day before it’s required, leave it over night and it really thickens up.

Alternative Green day recipe:-

In the slow cooker put a handful of split peas and one of lentils, one handful of brown rice and one handful of pearl barley with a pint of stock made with Bovril and lots of herbs to taste.

Peel and make very chunky dice of half a swede, 6 carrots, 2 parsnips and one sweet potato. Spray them with frylight and pop them in a hot oven to roast.

On a second tray put chunky cut onions and one large leek with small salad potatoes halved - spray them and pop them in the oven for about 30mins.

Then add them to the slow cooker with more hot stock to cover and allow to simmer all day.
---------------------------------------------------------
Couscous Dumplings (free on Green)

Take 1 cup of couscous and place in a bowl. Cover with a boiling hot stock of your choice depending on what you are eating them with chicken/beef/veg made with Bovril or a stock cube.

Leave to stand until all liquid is absorbed. Add 2-3 eggs beaten, place spoonfuls or use an ice cream scoop onto a plate sprayed with frylight and microwave for 7-10 mins until firm.

Place dumplings on top of stew/casserole for the last 15-20 mins of cooking so they absorb the flavour of the casserole.

I love dumplings!!
Have you made these yet? Are they anything like proper dumplings??

No I've not made them as yet, but a stew is so much nicer with dumplings so I just have to try them out....

Yes, unfortunately the Winter will soon be with us and we will be wanting to eating comfort foods.....and there's nothing better than stew & dumplings.

Fab recipeslove grub that sticks to your ribs (northern saying i think) my dad used to say it couldnt stand salad - LOL

Wow, who would have thought cous cous would make good a dumpling substitute, i'm may have to try this at some point
thanks dan x

I have been making lot of stews and my OH did ask about dumplings and I said it was a no, no...We will have to try these. Do you know the syn value on red day?

i any of you decided you did want proper dumplings i worked out the sin value if you followed the atora light they work out at 5 sins per 1!! a lot but worth it i think x

Just made the cous cous dumplings and they were really nice, will def make again

Back