woman of the year 2014

I cant see the dress Molly but have to say I'm thrilled for you. If you think the dress is too dressy bring it with you and have a look around to see what everyone else is wearing, my guess would be that most people will wear their best dress, no harm to bring as you can leave in the suitcase

I live so close to the venue that taking a suitcase and changing isn't really an option sadly Orla, but my consultant has kindly sent me a photo of last year's district finals and, while my dress is a bit different from 'the norm', I wouldn't entirely suit the kind of things most people are wearing :confused: ... I have a quite dark, Mediterranean skin tone and pastel colours (and most bright colours) just don't look right on me (they have a tendency to make me look, literally, green lol.

I've shown the dress to my consultant and he thinks it will be fine, so I'm going to be bold! What the heck, why not :D

Who wants "the norm" hun you are your own person and at the end of the day they are not judging you on what your wearing. Go for it you will wonder what all the worry was about on the night xx

Funny you should say that Texty ... My friend asked me if I'd booked a hair appointment and I laughed at her ;-) My 'Indian squaw' Plait is my trademark and despite my new shape it's integral to my (lack of) style, and it's staying just as it is lol.

Funny you should say that Texty ... My friend asked me if I'd booked a hair appointment and I laughed at her ;-) My 'Indian squaw' Plait is my trademark and despite my new shape it's integral to my (lack of) style, and it's staying just as it is lol.

Good on ya hun - no point trying to be something your not xx

The dress is gorgeous and you will be amazing! Have they said how long you have to speak for? :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

It's 5 minutes Superfree Princess, and it's timed. There are 28 finalists in our district, who they will split into 3 groups, with separate judges for each group apparently (my consultant sent me the whole itinerary and instructions last night :D ). Each person speaks for 5 minutes, with their consultant providing a visual board etc, with photos. Then the judges go off and do their thing, reconvene everyone together and announce the 6 who will go through for consideration for the nationals . Those 6 then have to give the same speech again to the whole group and all the judges together and then the judges go off and decide on who is going through to the national semi finals in October.

There are a couple of breaks for coffee, tea and tasters (which the consultants have to bring with them), but in total it's about 4 hours. I'm the kind of person who needs to know the ins and outs of everything, so just knowing exactly what the schedule is has put my mind at rest a bit and I'm not panicking quite so much now thank goodness.

You'll be fab molly, and definitely wear that dress, it's lovely. Best of luck!

Molly, I always say that I never joined slimming world to be woman of the year, I joined because I wanted to lose weight so all this is a bonus, do what your comfortable with because if your comfortable then you will exude confidence and that may be what the judges are looking for

Enjoy the day anyway, you have done so well and see this as a pat on the back

That's it in a nutshell Orla ... I joined SW (extremely reluctantly and because my daughter emotionally blackmailed me into it lol) to try to overcome my lifelong eating disorder (I'm effectively a compulsive overeater) and to improve my health. Even the weight loss (in terms of appearance rather than health) was incidental.

Now I no longer have life restricting IBS, or constant thrush, or piles (tmi ;) sorry), or aching knees/hips, or palpitations or sleep apnoea and the accompanying constant tiredness. My Achilles tendons are no longer agony every time I walk, I don't worry about getting into strange cars because the seat belt might not go round me and the fragile skin/eczema on my legs is completely cleared up.

THOSE are my prize ... woman of the year is a SW construct designed for promotion of their product lol, and I'll go along with it because my fellow group members were kind enough to vote for me and my lovely consultant is like a puppy with three tails, but in the grand scheme of things I've already won the thing I wanted most - not the weight loss per se, but recovery from my ED :D

Funny you should mention the health benefits, I have been told I no longer have sleep apnoea but I have to wait for the official word from the doctor to say I dont need to use the cpap machine anymore yayyyy. I'm also going through fertility as well and that has improved drastically but not yet any good news and if it never happens then I can say at least I have improved my health in other ways and just accept my fate

Have to say Molly, I would love to meet you sometime (very hard I'm in Ireland) as I think you are such a genuine and very sweet person

Bless you :D That's the one 'problem' with chatting to people online isn't it - you just know you'd love to get together for a really good chinwag and (SW friendly) lunch but everyone is so far flung :( But hey - if it wasn't for the net who would have ever known that the vast majority of people are so lovely? :D The people I meet online constantly restore my faith in human nature!

Yay! for no longer needing the cpap machine ... that will make a huge difference to your life :happy036: I have to confess that I never went anywhere near a doctor for mine - or indeed for any of my other health problems ... mainly because I knew that he would just tell me it was weight related and deep down I knew that he would have been right.

I'm sending loads of Baby Dust your way :vibes:to help with the fertility ... fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed that it will work for you Hon ((((HUG))))

No Janet - the venue simply isn't big enough, what with 28 women of the year, their consultants and the judges. My consultant will be with me though, so I won't be walking in on my own :)

Thank you VeggieGirl :)

It's a local hotel - just a bog standard Hilton Garden Inn (which is the Hilton chain aimed at business clients), but it doesn't have conference facilities, just moderately sized meeting/reception rooms that are mostly used for small business meetings, funeral receptions, private dining and that kind of thing. It's relatively new and quite pleasant though - not as grim and utilitarian as I've made it sound lol.

Back