Wondering why SW is not working for you?

Bread is so confusing! Think I'll stick to ryvita instead!!!! Who knows, it might be quite nice with baked beans and mushrooms on top!! :D

Nay. said:
Bread is so confusing! Think I'll stick to ryvita instead!!!! Who knows, it might be quite nice with baked beans and mushrooms on top!! :D

It's not confusing! It's just 60g of any wholemeal bread :)

Interesting info re the bread, hmm, don't think I've been doing that right :eek:

PatchworkPuss said:
Well it's 60g of wholemeal bread/roll now. That generally means you can have two slices from a 400g loaf or 1 slice from an 800g loaf. That's because the addition of a further slice would take you over the 60g limit. But if you want to, you can have your 60g and just syn the excess bit. So i usually have two medium slices from an 800g loaf that weigh 70g. I take that as 1 HEB and syn the extra 10g of bread.

What would the syn be for 10g of bread please? X

Depends on the bread you have, and youwould have to weigh yours to see whatthe two slices come to. Youcan work it out from the nutritional info on the packet using 1 syn for every 20 calories. Mince comes to 1 to 1.5 syns depending on the individual slices.

PatchworkPuss said:
Depends on the bread you have, and youwould have to weigh yours to see whatthe two slices come to. Youcan work it out from the nutritional info on the packet using 1 syn for every 20 calories. Mince comes to 1 to 1.5 syns depending on the individual slices.

Thank you. X

It's interesting to note that a lot of people have been having less bread than they should, and even though it might not affect your overall weightloss, it's little mistakes like those that add up to bigger mistakes and then ends up affecting you. I'm sure there is a reason that slimming world recommends the amount it does for HExs. There was a debate about this on here some time back, not eating the right amount of HExs means that you are better off synning them. Now if that is the case, I was not having my recommended HExs and not only that, I was going way over my syns if it meant I had to syn the 46g bread :eek:. It's all confusing but isn't it better to get right so if you are not losing weight it's only because your body is being stubborn rather than the fact that you are not doing it right?

Sorry guys, just adding something that PatchworkPuss noted and that is you can have 2 slices from a 400g loaf. Don't mean to confuse anyone but it's 2 slices from a 400g loaf or 60g of wholemeal bread :). Personally 60g makes more sense as you are more likely to get more than 2 slices :).

Last edited:
Just to say - if you cut the top crusts off two slices from an 800g loaf, it usually weighs 60g :D

Fine as long as you dont cut the crusts off then pop them in your mouth lol

This is a great post - I ahve def got lazy since before Christmas. Right back on track as from tomorrow - diary, weigh and measure things.

TY for the kick xx

I'm so with you on all of this. Before christmas I got really down about how long it was taking to lose all the weight and considering doing one of those drastic 3 day diets. Then I had a good think and realised that I'd been off plan so often that there's no way I could expect to lose weight and that it wasn't that SW wasn't working for me, it was that what I was doing wasn't slimming world. For the last two weeks I've been 100% on plan and lost 4lb and feeling good. I'm now going to do SW PROPERLY all the way to target.

P.S. My Mum made me laugh recently - she told, mgr she was following the spirit of weight watchers but not counting points. Thinking about it that's what I've been guilty of on SW.

bit late to the party but yeah, well said. I often have two proper slices of wholemeal bread, and count it as one heB... naughty naughty. Estimating syns is a bad one o mine as well. And just thinking to pot with it in general and maybe having 20 syns in one day =P

We all know how to do it! I think its very important to every now and then actually READ the book and CHECKING your measurements. =)

It's interesting to note that a lot of people have been having less bread than they should, and even though it might not affect your overall weightloss, it's little mistakes like those that add up to bigger mistakes and then ends up affecting you.

Except that is not a mistake - SW tell you to have two slices from a 400g loaf. People doing that are not making a mistake they are following the plan and it will not affect their losses :)

Except that is not a mistake - SW tell you to have two slices from a 400g loaf. People doing that are not making a mistake they are following the plan and it will not affect their losses :)

I see what you mean. Just had a look and it does say 2 slices from a 400g loaf. I suppose they are taking into consideration other brands. I bought M&S wholemeal the other day and it's a 400g loaf but 2 pieces comes up as 70g and calories are 80 per slice. So in this case, I would syn the extra 10g or just cut the crust off right?

Personally I prefer to get as much bread for my HEB as possible. So if two slices were only say 45g then hell yes I'l be having some more to take advantage of being able to have 60g lol

Personally I prefer to get as much bread for my HEB as possible. So if two slices were only say 45g then hell yes I'l be having some more to take advantage of being able to have 60g lol

Me too :D! Especially now that I know 2 slices is only 45g, I have been measuring my bread to make sure I get my 60g. I edited my earlier post though so as not to confuse anyone :). Thanks for taking note of that.

When I went to class my C told me to have two slices of w/m bread from a 400g loaf as my HEXB. I was never told to weigh bread. I realise now I should have looked it up but thought if my C tells me that I'll do it. I'm happy to stick with the two slices rather than cut off crusts & have three slices, that's too much faffing around for me.

Me too :D! Especially now that I know 2 slices is only 45g, I have been measuring my bread to make sure I get my 60g. I edited my earlier post though so as not to confuse anyone :). Thanks for taking note of that.

I think we may have all got a bit caught up on the bread LOL! I think your original post was just using it as an example of how you should account for everything you eat in general and mentioned bread as a point. Anyway, you are right, the best thing is to measure and record everything you eat and drink to make sure you're following the plan x

I thought that too LisaC! That's the whole point-they shouldn't need weighing! ;)

Back