Work out before weigh in?

bambam101

I am currently on the SW plan and have my weigh in tonight. Unfortunately, I had to skip the gym yesterday so was thinking about doing a quick jog or exercise DVD tonight before my weigh in.
Is this wise?
I've heard conflicting reports:
a) I will put on weight because of the amount of fluids (water) I will be taking on during the exercise.
b) I will lose weight before the weigh in due to the exercise so I won't be weighed at my "true weight".

Can someone please shed some light on this please? I'm so confused :sigh: and don't know whether to work out or not!

You may lose water in your sweat and weigh less, or you may drink more water than you need to, to compensate and weigh more. That's something no one can tell you. I'd say that a weight training workout was probably going to "pump" your muscles and make you temporarily weigh more than you otherwise would, but a spot of cardio should leave you at status quo provided you can guess the right amount to drink to make up for perspiration :)

You definitely need to isolate your variables. But, it isn't so much important which one of those two is correct, in my opinion.

The easiest way I've found to make it work is to do it right away in the morning after a shower and before eating. At this point, you don't have clothes on so that doesn't vary and you haven't ingested anything, yet.

The water on you does weigh something, yes, but what is important is that progress is accurately gauged. Because 'actual' weight doesn't really exist. It is always fluctuating.

Back