working backwards

mrs lever

does anyone else do this. I was chatting with some one who is with slimming world and her consultant has told her to work backwards with syns. So start the week with 105 syns to use then just knock them off. She said that it makes it easier if ur the type of person who say had 16 syns one day felt like u had blown it and binged. If you have 50 syns one day and 55 the day after then so be it but u cannot have any rest of the week. Has anyone heard of this or done it.

I've never done it but there are a lot on here who do follow that school of thought.
It's quite "old school" SW, I thought they didn't mention this at class any more as it was thought to encourage bingeing and that is why SW brought in flexi syns.

However, if you are the sort of person who likes a bottle of wine on a weekend night and that bottle is 25 syns, then why not? If it works for you then I don't see a problem with it. I like to spread them out though as I do like a treat each day!

I don't think Ive got my thinking cap on with this one...probably a blonde moment :p

I view mine daily but I know lots who count theirs up over the week so I assume it would work that same way just counting down...!?

i struggled to understand it because i didnt know wether it was from sw or not. She works in a busy office so doesnt use her syns all week and then blows. When we met the other day she had a full packet of biscuits worth 40 syns but said it was ok because she had had no syns for 5 days. I think its just confusing me lol

I work mine out weekly exactly as you have said. I often have a few left over at the end of the week and for me it works fine.

My consultant often mentions flexi days which I assume means you have more syns one day & less the days around it... If that works for people then I guess its a good thing. I'd do it as long as I didn't have tons of syns too near my weigh-in.

I kinda use my syns this way although i tend to start at 0 and count up to 105, but it's the same principle.
I don't really need to use many during the week,but i like a chinese and a bottle of wine on a friday night so find this way works better for me.
I always have my 105 (or a few more!) and have lost every week so far.

Im with Jaylou..I prefer to keep mine daily, if I fancy something like a bar of chocolate, then I know I can have it providing I have the syns for it that day.
This method seems to work for some people, but not others.

. She works in a busy office so doesnt use her syns all week and then blows. When we met the other day she had a full packet of biscuits worth 40 syns but said it was ok because she had had no syns for 5 days. I think its just confusing me lol

See, this isn't healthy and this is the reason ( i think) SW stopped this some years ago and introduced flexi syn days. Eating a whole pack of biscuits, whilst it does fit in with the 105 syns thing, does nothing to change our mindset with regards to food.

going off on a tangent a little here but....

My consultant often mentions flexi days which I assume means you have more syns one day & less the days around it... If that works for people then I guess its a good thing. I'd do it as long as I didn't have tons of syns too near my weigh-in.

Flexi syn days are when you know you will need more syns than 15. You set yourself an allowance before you have the "event", be it 30, 40 or 50, whatever you think you need and you stick to that. It's too keep you in control rather than completely blowing it. Next day you go back to normal.
You may not lose that week but you will have stayed in control and on plan.

See, this isn't healthy and this is the reason ( i think) SW stopped this some years ago and introduced flexi syn days. Eating a whole pack of biscuits, whilst it does fit in with the 105 syns thing, does nothing to change our mindset with regards to food.

going off on a tangent a little here but....

My thoughts exactly.

I will sometimes save up syns if I'm going for a night out but I always make sure I have at least 3-5 a day otherwise I feel deprived and too much like I'm on a diet which could lead to a binge and rebellion.

I think you have got to be a very controlled person to have a weekly syn allowance. If you blow them all at the begining of the week, what happens at the end of the week when you fancy something nice but no syns left? You probably have it anyway and then feel guilty, so have a bit more cos you feel guilty and so on etc. Personally I think a daily allowance is better, at least you know tomorrow you can have the 15 syns again.

As for the woman in the office with the biscuits, all I can say is she is learning a lot about healthy eating isn't she.

I tend to be daily synner myself....but, being a weekly synner works for some people on this forum, so as long as you can keep yourself under control after you've maybe blown all of your weekly syns at the weekend, then I suppose it will work, but it must be hard to keep to it, and it will need lot's of self discipline too.

I have to save my syns for a drink (several actually) on a Saturday night or if I go out with my friends. I have a few syns everyday but save thirty or forty for a Saturday night. My losses might be greater if I didn't do this, but it's the one thing I can't give up. However, I've still lost one and three quarter stone so I'm very happy with how it works for me.

I kinda use my syns this way although i tend to start at 0 and count up to 105, but it's the same principle.
I don't really need to use many during the week,but i like a chinese and a bottle of wine on a friday night so find this way works better for me.
I always have my 105 (or a few more!) and have lost every week so far.

I'm like this but for me it's a bottle of wine and some chocolate or crisps on a saturday. I don't necessarily store up all 105 syns for saturday nught, but I save a few during the week so I can have my treat. Although this week I'm using my current saved syns on thursday because my friend is coming for dinner and we plan to have dessert and a small (1 glass each) bottle of wine.

Even if I had the syns I wouldn't eat a whole packet of biscuits at once. But if I'd saved syns I might have 3 rather than 2.

i start on 105 and work down as its easier for me. some days i fancy a packet of crisps and a bar of chocolate. if i did it daily then it would take me over my syns and then i would think oh well blown it today and then have more chocolate:p, but doing a weekly way keeps me on the staight an narrow so to speak.
i find it easier to know how many i have left for the week

Back