Working out syn values

slimmerkay

Silver Member
Does anyone know how syn values are worked out? Is it done with calorie content and fat content or something?

I want to find the syn value for a few things. One thing was Lloyd Grossman Sweet Pepper Pasta Sauce :confused:.

Thanks that's great!

But where do you find this info? :D

I'm sure I heard 1 syn is normally 30kcals, please don't quote me on this though, as I only heard it third hand

you can sometimes work things out by their calorie content, IE: a bag of walkers french fries from a multipack contains 81 calories, if you count 20 calories as a syn (it's not 30 Lou), you will find the bag of fries contains 4 syns, you can't do this with everything though because say for example you had a shop prepared fresh fruit salad all the fruit in it is free, except for some avocado say, that is'nt free, well then you would need the food directory or access to syns online to look it up, I hope that makes sense :)

I wouldn't try working them out yourself. They are worked out by their calorie fat and protein content and balanced with the good stuff. Fruit is a great example of why you shouldn't work them out yourself. You can find them all on the website and if you can't find the product you are looking for there is a calculator on there too

The explanation I tried to give above, was actually given to our group by our consultant, I have tested it many times and it has'nt failed as yet, but each to their own of course :)

The explanation I tried to give above, was actually given to our group by our consultant, I have tested it many times and it has'nt failed as yet, but each to their own of course :)
I wasn't doubting you Jax, I just personally think it's safer to get them from SW rather than try to work them out yourself

Taz, every time I have used the method, I have had to rush home to double check with my food directory, because i rarely trust anything but the SW bible or the site! lol, but it really has proved to be an accurate way to find a syn value when all else fails. Try it I dare you lol :)

That's when it does get tricky, It works best if you are using it to syn something that does'nt contain any free food Ie, chocolate bar, crisps lollies etc. I have a tin of meatballs in my cupboard that are 366 calories if I divide that by 20, I get 18.5 syns for the tin, thats for green days, I automatically deduce from that info that they will be fewer syns for a red day because of the meat content, but I would have to check for that value.

The tin works out at 10.5 on a red day...... It is an excellent way of doing it in an emergency :)

It is a good way of working it out in an emergency but I wouldn't be comfortable relying on it fully

I have written down all my fave syns and their value and I keep it in my diary to plan what I am having for tea! Its magic that you can have the old favourite snacks in moderation! Loving this diet!

eh! hahaha

I have written down all my fave syns and their value and I keep it in my diary to plan what I am having for tea! Its magic that you can have the old favourite snacks in moderation! Loving this diet!

Ive heard of people writing the syn value of things on the jar or packet.

I use the same strategy as you Nanny - it works out well if you're stuck xxx

Back