Working out Syns?

Sirens

Hi
I have not posted on here before but have been lurking for awhile!

I have too much weight to loose, but thought I would make a start:(

A work mate has given me a really old copy of the sw food optimising book so I have a list of the free foods, healthy extras etc.
I was wondering about the syns though, it has a limited section on syns and I wondered if there was a way of working out how many syns are in each food? I remember that when I went to ww years ago you could work out points by cal and sat fats, does sw have a similar system?

I would love to go to a meeting but funds are very limited at the moment as dh was made redundant last year, also the meeting near me is on when I'm still at work!

I've been reading through your threads and they are wonderful, very supportive, and helpful, hopefully this will be my chance to succeed!

Thanks so much
Tash x

Personally I would reccomend going to a group, even if it is just for the one visit. Once you join, you get all your starter pack which has a book with some info on freefoods, & some syn's - enough to get you started & it will be an upto date pack.

Or you could maybe try ebay or somewhere for the 2010 food directory that has almost all foods listed with their syn values.

Great advice by Gettingthinner by the day. If you go along to a class, the C will explain the plans to you plus you will get the books. You can then decide whether to keep attending or not :)

I totally understand how difficult the finances can be - I literally count the pennies some weeks!

If you can manage to attend a class as suggested by others, then thats very much the best way to get all the books and information from a consultant. Just had a quick look on the website and before June 12th there is an offer for 1st week free so you pay £10 for registering only. Thats a bargain for what you get on that night - up to 2 hrs of info, guidance and support (new members talk plus image therapy), not to mention all the latest programme materials and booklets to get you going again.

Then you can decide if you want (or are able to) to go back. There are also offers on Countdown where you get 6 weeks for the price of 5, or 12 weeks for the price of 10.

I'm not sure where you are but some areas too have SW on referral from your GP/practice nurse, where if your BMI is over a certain point, they will provide you with a 12 week membership 'free' in order to support you in starting your weightless journey. Might be worth a ring to your GP surgery to find that out?

Lastly, should you not be able to do any or all of the above (and you're not alone!!) then as a rough guide 20 cals = 1 syn. There is loads of information online on syns and sometimes a quick google can bring up product information from this and other messageboards. The syn value board here in MiniMins is just about the best so do have a read there in any case.

Good luck with it all, and well done for getting all the information you need to get your head going. Your body will soon follow!

Take care, xx

i would look on ebay i know there a some books on there :D probably 2010 ones too so you could buy them and monitor ur own weight good luck :D

Thank-you all so much for all your replies, I'm truely touched by your support.

I think I will try to scrape the money together to get to a meeting, might have to wait until I'm off though as there isn't one near my work and I don't get home in time for the one near home.

Will also call my GP as that definetely worth a go!

Have been going through the syn section bit a writing down my favourite treats (pretty much all of them!)

Will make a fresh start on monday, feel really good and positive this time!!

Expect me on here lots!

Thanks Tash xxx

GOOGLE! And yes, go to meetings, lol :)

You'll get a password every week from your Consultant and there's a section on the SW website where you can sign in with it and then calculate the syns of ANYTHING by inputting portion size, protein content, carb content, and fat content. It's such a life saver :)

xxx

Back